Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

I'm looking for help diagnosing the constant flashing temperature coolant light but specific to a 1.8T conversion. I've read the threads on bad connections at the reservoir tanks. I looked into my bay this afternoon, topped up the coolant and still have the constant light. Just curious if diagnosing would be the same as stock? It appears the reservoir and sensors are different and possibly from the Jetta type. Any help or ideas is are appreciated. I couldn't find an expansion tank. Just a round globe shaped reservoir that looked a little low.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

Same circuit as an unconverted van. Clean your sensor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

I've had this issue before, usually after a coolant change and there is still some air in the lines. Run up to temp, then park on a mild incline with the nose down. Wait for the temp to cool a little and the coolant level to settle, top off your coolant - the globe - and you should be good to go.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

Hmmm, well I've figured out this is the Mark IV Jetta Expansion tank. The connection plug to the exterior of the tank looks clean. No corrosion since it's basically new. Is it possible I'd need to replace the tank since it contains the sensors? It's $20.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

put a jumper wire between the 2 terminals in the sensor, if flashing lights stop, change the sensor, is still flashing, go to the box, where number 3 cylinder was on the WBX, there are 2 7 pin round connectors in there, one is for the lights, the other is for the engine etc, split that plug, find the color wire from the level indicator, put that to ground, if the light goes out, you know you are looking at the plug being bad, if still flashing, pull the fuse box down so you can see the relays, i think it's 42 or 43,

okppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
mlo;jkjpomljnuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
put a jumper wire between the 2 terminals in the sensor, if flashing lights stop, change the sensor, is still flashing, go to the box, where number 3 cylinder was on the WBX, there are 2 7 pin round connectors in there, one is for the lights, the other is for the engine etc, split that plug, find the color wire from the level indicator, put that to ground, if the light goes out, you know you are looking at the plug being bad, if still flashing, pull the fuse box down so you can see the relays, i think it's 42 or 43,

okppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
mlo;jkjpomljnuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

On this tank, it's not like the stocker. The probes don't come out. It's all one piece. Did you mean the paperclip test between probes? That won't work with this tank since the probes don't come out. I will try the relay in the fuse panel next. This shows it better

shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

I have a Passat tank on my 1.8t, same built in sensor. I would suspect the connection where it's tied into the stock wiring first. Then expand my search to the entire run back to the dash. Good luck.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

Those level sensors rarely go bad.

Rubber chicken is saying put the paper clip in the wire side of the electrical connector. If the light still flashes, it's in the wiring, connections, relay, or gauge.

If the temp gauge is going up, we need to know what they did to sense coolant temp on the engine.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

As an update and more troubleshooting, the light remains on flashing intermittently. About 24 hours after topping off the coolant, the light started functioning properly. I thought Eureka! Alas, it has returned to it's strange ways. Recently while it was flashing, I pulled the relay stamped "43", I think that's the right one, and the light stayed flashing. Was that the proper relay to try and pull and after pulling it with the light still blinking, does that indicate the cluster gauge itself is the issue?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1.8T owners- Help with flashing temperature/coolant light. Reply with quote

If the flashing continues with the "43" pulled then the problem is NOT anything to do with the coolant level warning system. That leaves the dash area as the likely area of interest.

Mark

Vnyd Dog wrote:
As an update and more troubleshooting, the light remains on flashing intermittently. About 24 hours after topping off the coolant, the light started functioning properly. I thought Eureka! Alas, it has returned to it's strange ways. Recently while it was flashing, I pulled the relay stamped "43", I think that's the right one, and the light stayed flashing. Was that the proper relay to try and pull and after pulling it with the light still blinking, does that indicate the cluster gauge itself is the issue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: