Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

I was wondering if members might be able to chime in regarding the front door jam area on a 1966 deluxe bus?

Would you be able to tell me if the bent sheet metal area where the two inner door hinge screws are located should be intact and not have any metal removed (like in the photo below/, photo not of my bus) or if it should be solid metal with no material removed?

I'm not sure if it was done by a previous owner on my bus, or if maybe they started drilling the area out at the factory so that it would be easier for the screws to be placed in and tightened?

I looked at some threads and pictures of older buses and they didn't have the metal removed from what I can tell. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things they started doing around 1966/1967?

What is the consensus regarding the holes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Question Reply with quote

My '59 does not have the notches but my '65 does.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RMinNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Question Reply with quote

My 66 has it and appears original - when I removed my doors it appears necessary to get to the innermost screws at the correct angle.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

The '65 SC that I used to have was notched like the photo.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

Maybe this can be found in Progressive Refinements?

I have seen the same notches, but never thought they were factory.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

Thank you for all that gave responses.

Anyone else have insight to the notches?

I looked at the refinements PDF on the site as suggested by StockNazi, but didn't really see anything.....That said, I looked between 63-66 and most info listed I believe was related to the engine.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

'65, '66, and '67 all have that: factory. Maybe previous year(s) but my touchy feeley ends at '65 recently.

I can tell you from experience it makes it super easier to get out the inboard screws when using an impact screwdriver.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
'65, '66, and '67 all have that: factory. Maybe previous year(s) but my touchy feeley ends at '65 recently. .

The notches are missing in April 1963 DC

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

I have them in my 60 SC. They are access holes for the door hinge screws
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front Door Hinge Inner Screw Hole Sheet Metal Notch Question Reply with quote

May 64 kombi has them
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: