Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Looking for a cheap solution to be able to read my engine codes from my iPhone 5s. Does anyone have are recommendation ? Would prefer it was bluetooth compatible so it can be done while driving.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND Reply with quote

googling obd2 bluetooth brought up a newegg page with many, many inexpensive options. Don't know about the IOS thing, being an Android user. That's something you can look for yourself, right?
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue tooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I used an eBay cheapo wifi obd2 dongle and obd fusion app on my iPhone with my ej25 and it works fine.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue tooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I can give you a couple pieces of the puzzle.

0j41j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1.5otgOpgyB80

I use the torque pro app which is 5 bucks and gives you all the info you want on your phone.

I made the mistake the first time of buying one of the cheap Bluetooth obd2 readers.
It only worked about 2 weeks.
So I picked up the old link lx.
50 bucks, but at least now I know it's always going to work.
That leaves one thing, you need to wire up or have someone wire up the pigtails that the obd2 reader plugs into.

Btw, in my case this was all done with a 1.8t.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I don't have a Subaru, but for my two OBD II Volkswagens, I use OBDLink (dongle and app). If you buy their dongle (WiFi and Bluetooth versions available), the app is free. The app is fully customizable with lots of options for your vehicle; when the GTI replaced the Jetta, I easily removed Jetta content and added GTI content. However, the dongle is not exactly inexpensive Confused ... worth the price, though, IMO; it's a neat and fun tool to have.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I went to Google route to start with. I bought $100 OBD two adapter that was supposed to convey information to my phone. It didn't work mostly because it had been purchased and registered once before (afaict). That's why I turn to the somba and all those experienced people that also return to the somba for answers when they need them. I appreciate the responses. I'm going to go with the obd link and get a decent OBD reader that somebody's already tried out. Thanks folks

PS Pats all the way baby. Ouch! Ouch! ouch!

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

With all due respect I don't think your experience is due to or a result of using Google.

I bet doing a search in (insert iOS app store analog here) you'll find something that'll run fine with your$100 hardware.
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I'm gonna get a bumper sticker that says, "OBD 1 SUCKS!"
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Your adapter didnt work because your engine isnt obd2

OBD1 doesnt really give diagnostic codes. I gives very limited emissions only codes that are manufacture specific
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I'm the one that said obdII... not the OP. I just assumed (not having an ej22 or an interest in one.)

How can you know if it was manufactured throughout the '90s?

(ed: oh I see he did in a later post.)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

the answer is you have an 1995 OBD-I system

from your post in this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664016
AZ Landshaper wrote:
I've finally made the move to convert my 81 westy to ej22.
I've purchased a 95 suby w 110k on the motor and begun collecting the other pieces of the puzzle.

FWIW I use a $8 bluetooth OBD-II reader and the free & $5 Torque app on various android devices. works well with my 1.8T. not so much with my 02 Astrovan or 16Kia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Hmmm…

Since I have a TiiCo swap that I think may have the right stuff for ODBII and a newer ECU certainly would, this may be revelant to me. Time to plumb the TiiCo list…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Ok OK
My subi is a 95 from a legacy. Its deffinitely obdII. Subaru was one of the manufacturers using obdII before the mandatory 1996 requirement that all manufacturers comply with today.

The clerk at FLAPS was able to read ten codes with his machine so Im dead sure its OBDII.

Regarding google, the issue was there are 105 different readers and the one I got had been purchased prior to me and was registered to a guy with a ford truck. For some reason this model needed to be registered to work and they were reluctant to re-register without me mailing in some paperwork. Too much BS for me.

Either way the pats won and Ive ordered a linx reader off amazon for 50 bucks less than the last model. Something of this nature has been recommended by different people on samba, shop talks and the subaru forum.

Ill report back once ive tested it to confirm its a solution and end this dilemma.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Hey AZL,

I have been happy with the ELM 327 for a couple of years now.

[/url]https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B019MFNFHI/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1486465313&sr=1-9&keywords=wifi+obd2[url]

This is WiFi, not Bluetooth like you want.
Depending on your sound system, you may want your bluetooth for music (I do).

Then again, I can not stream music while I read codes or watch RPM/temp.Oh well.

I use Engine Link app for my iPhone.

Fun mod for cheap money.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations for a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and app?

I'm leaning towards the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE ($33) or OBDCheck BLE+ ($40).
I have an iPhone.

I can't find anything "real" explaining the difference between the two.
Lots of regurgitated AI comparison sites dominate google searches, same sh*t, different advertiser.
VeePeak website doesn't compare them either.
It says VeePeak is a USA company.
I doubt it.

$7 isnt much difference, but "advanced features" are sometimes a PITA if you don't need them.

So....TIA for any experience !!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I use Topdon AutoMate
Works well though I use it mainly for the gauges (Tach and Temp)
Rear discs
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

I really like the blue driver set-up.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Profes...amp;sr=8-5

I leave it inserted in the back. Whenever I'm driving I can hook up to it from the drivers seat and get live readings, clear codes and everything. It has been an excellent set-up for my subaru-vanagon conversion. I've got a 2000 ej25.

It's great because the app is designed really well. You can customize the live readings. I can monitor my engine temperature from the ECU/OBDII reader and my gauges. Really helps me to make sure this things running correctly.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Hey Sodo,

I don't think you can use an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter with an iPhone, when I did some research a year ago there were some limitations in what iPhone allowed you to do in terms of Bluetooth.

I ended up getting this WiFi adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE

and using OBD Fusion in my iPhone to talk to my Subaru ECU (works great)

Things might have changed with regards to Bluetooth in the last year or so with the new iOS versions, but I haven't looked into it.

Sodo wrote:

I have an iPhone.

Lots of regurgitated AI comparison sites dominate google searches, same sh*t, different advertiser.
I doubt it.

$7 isnt much difference, but "advanced features" are sometimes a PITA if you don't need them.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Hey Sodo,

I don't think you can use an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter with an iPhone, when I did some research a year ago there were some limitations in what iPhone allowed you to do in terms of Bluetooth.

I ended up getting this WiFi adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE

and using OBD Fusion in my iPhone to talk to my Subaru ECU (works great)

Things might have changed with regards to Bluetooth in the last year or so with the new iOS versions, but I haven't looked into it.

Sodo wrote:

I have an iPhone.

I doubt it.

Not true, though you do have to make sure it is iPhone compatible. I have the Veepeak BLE+ and works great on my iPhone 8. It connects automatically within your app, so you don't have to go through Apples somewhat clunky BT connection tool. Wifi adapters also make it difficult to do other internet things at the same time, like looking up codes, etc. I am also using the Car Scanner app for iPhone. Works well.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

An ELM 327 OBD bluetooth adapter and the Torque app works great for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: