Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks a lot for the correction, I just ordered the Veepeak BLE+, (it did bug me that I couldn't use the regular iPhone capabilities while in WiFi mode).

Christopholi wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:
Hey Sodo,

I don't think you can use an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter with an iPhone, when I did some research a year ago there were some limitations in what iPhone allowed you to do in terms of Bluetooth.

I ended up getting this WiFi adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE

and using OBD Fusion in my iPhone to talk to my Subaru ECU (works great)

Things might have changed with regards to Bluetooth in the last year or so with the new iOS versions, but I haven't looked into it.

Sodo wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and app?

I'm leaning towards the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE ($33) or OBDCheck BLE+ ($40).
I have an iPhone.

I can't find anything "real" explaining the difference between the two.
Lots of regurgitated AI comparison sites dominate google searches, same sh*t, different advertiser.
VeePeak website doesn't compare them either.
It says VeePeak is a USA company.
I doubt it.

$7 isnt much difference, but "advanced features" are sometimes a PITA if you don't need them.

So....TIA for any experience !!

Not true, though you do have to make sure it is iPhone compatible. I have the Veepeak BLE+ and works great on my iPhone 8. It connects automatically within your app, so you don't have to go through Apples somewhat clunky BT connection tool. Wifi adapters also make it difficult to do other internet things at the same time, like looking up codes, etc. I am also using the Car Scanner app for iPhone. Works well.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

A cheap bluetooth "mini" only lasted a few months before it wouldn't connect. I have Android and TorquePro. An ELM wi-fi has worked for a few years now.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth engine codes and Subaru Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Hey Sodo,

I don't think you can use an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter with an iPhone, when I did some research a year ago there were some limitations in what iPhone allowed you to do in terms of Bluetooth.

I ended up getting this WiFi adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE

and using OBD Fusion in my iPhone to talk to my Subaru ECU (works great)

Things might have changed with regards to Bluetooth in the last year or so with the new iOS versions, but I haven't looked into it.

Sodo wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and app?

I'm leaning towards the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE ($33) or OBDCheck BLE+ ($40).
I have an iPhone.

I can't find anything "real" explaining the difference between the two.
Lots of regurgitated AI comparison sites dominate google searches, same sh*t, different advertiser.
VeePeak website doesn't compare them either.
It says VeePeak is a USA company.
I doubt it.

$7 isnt much difference, but "advanced features" are sometimes a PITA if you don't need them.

So....TIA for any experience !!
My iPhone SE (iPhone 6 in a 5S case) connects to the VeePeak bluetooth transmitter just fine.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: