Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can engine oil get into torque convertor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Just curious, is it possible for a bad seal or some other failure in a WBX engine to cause motor oil to get into the transmission WITHOUT having any other detectible leaks?

I'm wondering if my excessive oil consumption is somehow related to some autotrans issues I'm having.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain the short answer is no. It bolts to the flex plate and slides onto the AT, click-click-click. No path for engine oil migration.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

The only way this could happen would be if you had the original ATF cooler installed, and there was an engine oil leak into the coolant, and then contaminated coolant intermixing via a leak in the ATF cooler--and even then you would have "milkshake" (coolant and ATF mixed) and not engine oil. Otherwise, there is no direct connection between ATF circuits and engine oil circuits.

Intermixed ATF and coolant looks like strawberry milkshake.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tell us about your transmission issues.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

Tell us about your transmission issues.

kourt

I'd rather you shed light on my oil consumption issues Laughing

It knocks when downshifting into first. It's not a mount or the CVs either. The trans sometimes also slips when you first try to move it on cold mornings. I think I talked about most of it in this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665323&highlight=auto+trans+clunk

I'm about to order a rebuilt unit but I'm a little nervous about how quickly the engine is using oil (about a Qt every 1,000 miles but no leaks, no discolored coolant, and no blue smoke out of the exhaust). I would hate to buy a rebuilt tranny with stock ratios only to end up wishing that I had something else if I did an engine conversion soon after.

While pondering all of this I got to wondering if the two issues could be related. Sounds like a "no".
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

There is, of course one other way either of the fluids can get into the wrong places.... But you'd all thought of the obvious way, right?

Whoops!!!
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
There is, of course one other way either of the fluids can get into the wrong places.... But you'd all thought of the obvious way, right?

Whoops!!!

ummm ... it got poured in there ??? heh...heh...
(anything under the sun theory ) Shocked

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

I don't believe you will see a quart in a 1000 miles as smoke out the tailpipe. That is actually considered acceptable oil consumption. I imagine though the sparkplugs would probably have some soot on them if it is passing oil.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it , and because I didn't see it mentioned, have you serviced the trans since last October?

No engine oil should be in the converter.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

[quote="Energy Concepts"]
bobbyblack wrote:

Whoops!!!

ummm ... it got poured in there ??? heh...heh...
(anything under the sun theory ) Shocked

I pre-charge torque converters,
but, with ATF Smile

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I would hate to buy a rebuilt tranny with stock ratios only to end up wishing that I had something else if I did an engine conversion soon after.

You probably already know this, but in automatics the only gear ratio change is made in the differential (ring & pinion) and not the transmission--so you can go ahead and replace or rebuild your transmission and worry about your differential later.

These automatics are so easy to rebuild. You could buy about $150 in parts and do an admirable job on your own with some help from various Samba threads.

I had to laugh about your oil consumption comment. Wish I could help there. 1qt/1000 miles seems okay for an older boxer. Check the spark plugs.

kourt
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

I had to laugh about your oil consumption comment. Wish I could help there. 1qt/1000 miles seems okay for an older boxer. Check the spark plugs.

kourt

Check my sig line. There's nothing old about it and it only has about 30k miles on it. GoWesty also says I shouldn't worry about it but it didn't lose a drop between oil changes until the last 5k miles.

Last edited by SCM on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Whoops!!!

I don't recall siphoning oil from my crankcase and then pouring into my ATF filler. I do sleep walk from time to time though...
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Just for the heck of it , and because I didn't see it mentioned, have you serviced the trans since last October?

No engine oil should be in the converter.

I haven't touched it since the mechanic looked at it in October. I expected the mechanic to change the ATF if he thought it was the problem. When he didn't even recommend it I decided to park it for the winter and deal with it when it got closer to camping season.

I took it to one of the few shops that works on Vanagons in my town and they basically spent 30 minutes checking for obvious stuff, dumped some "conditioner" into the ATF and then recommended a rebuild from GTA.

There's a number of reasons I'd rather not rebuild my own tranny but I am thinking of getting a second opinion as to what might be wrong.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Seems like overkill to get a completely rebuilt trains for this one issue. Sounds like a sticky valve in your valve body to me
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

So, in light of this iddue, you did not drop the pan, change the filter, and fill the trans with type F fluid ?

Why?

You'll wait till it's time to use it this spring, and then start wailing?

Crazy.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
So, in light of this iddue, you did not drop the pan, change the filter, and fill the trans with type F fluid ?

Why?

You'll wait till it's time to use it this spring, and then start wailing?

Crazy.

Because...

- I always park the van in late October. I don't use it in the winter so no rush to bother with it.

- I don't have a heated garage. Montana is cold (January was the coldest in 40 years, in fact). So no rush to bother with it.

- It's not my daily driver. It's a hobby that I choose not to stress out over. Certainly no need to wail. So no rush to bother with it.

- Spring, or at least comfortable wrenching weather, is another 2 or 3 months away. So no rush to bother with it.

Do you see the pattern here? Essentially, anything having to do with the van is a warm weather activity. I have other things I'd rather do in the winter. This is about the time of year I start planning my van trips/projects.

I stopped wailing over cars during my teenage years.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

If you have a sudden oil consumption issue with a non stock engine, perform a leak down test first. Valve guides can also create this issue. Check your intake runners with an infrared temp gun. Also check your breather tower. Do you see excess oil sitting in your intake track?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

"Because" is a great reply, it took a bunch of thought.

I didn't ask why you didn't do the filter & oil change in January, I asked you why you didn't when you were posting about the problem in October.

That's 4 months of a gap there fella.

Yea, OK, no stress.

Above all else don't get excited , not until the day prior to you wanting to go somewhere.
No--wait about 15 minutes prior to turning the key.

That'd be good.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Do you hear any change in sound when you are moving and take your foot off the gas pedal, coasting in gear? I had bad knocking noise that was suspected by local Vanagon shop to be CV joints, but it turned out to be AT fluid in the differential. Drained all fluids in both cases and refilled and noise is gone. I still need to fix this seal, but this fluid refresh confirmed the problem.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can engine oil get into torque convertor? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
"Because" is a great reply, it took a bunch of thought.

I didn't ask why you didn't do the filter & oil change in January, I asked you why you didn't when you were posting about the problem in October.

That's 4 months of a gap there fella.

Yea, OK, no stress.

Above all else don't get excited , not until the day prior to you wanting to go somewhere.
No--wait about 15 minutes prior to turning the key.

That'd be good.

The same rational applies. I was shoveling snow and skiing in October, as I will be doing until April.

It's just a car Terry. It complies with MY schedule and isn't going to get any worse because of it. You're making some incorrect assumptions of how I value my time (and perhaps how late "spring" comes to my neck of the woods). If it's not fixed when I want to take my first camping trip of the year I'll simply the throw the tent and Coleman stove into my car - just like I'd done before I had my van. Pretty simple really.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: