Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Hey all. After a tweaked frame, bent body parts, and some light battery tray rust, I'm going to move into a different rig. Here's the plan:

Find a 77-79 transporter with no bulkheads, tin top, with or without (ideally without) engine, transmission, interior, and ideally minimal or light rust.

Goal is to swing this for significantly less then a 4000$ shell as such are on the samba.

Idea is to get it next to my 78 westy, swap on some brand new general grabber at/2s and a lift kit, and work up from there swapping my bus into it.

I want to lose the pop top in favor of a full length roof rack to strap down a spare tire, maxxtraxx, shovel, winch, awnings, light bar and spot lights, gas cans, etc. also to increase interior temps while driving (my pop top is drafty)

Late model bulkhead free due to FI ready, Vanagon seat swap, and simplicity of swapping my bus into it. No early bays, those suck.

Anyone for any suggestions?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]

Last edited by Stuartzickefoose on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Ill keep on the look out in the south

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Where will this happen? The SE USA or are you towing the old one back to the PNW?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Where will this happen? The SE USA or are you towing the old one back to the PNW?

Likely gonna tow the new one to Florida for the swap, as it's much better weather to do the swap in Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Tin tops rule!

You need one of these racks from KCW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Can't wait to see this!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Wow, that's ambitious. Yeah, find one out west. Honest buses here are rusty. Dishonest ones don't look it but are. The folks here who have solid buses keep them. Good to see you back.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Better to just buy a Honda. Preferably one with a big bumper.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the next beas Reply with quote

Might be easiest to find one of those Texas VW yards and pull one from there. The patina will probably be cool, and there shouldn't be much rust.

I heard Colin's westy might be for sale; you wouldn't need to do anything, save wash the windows and wax it occasionally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Shocked you going to have a ceremony- and an offical "name transfer" to the new "Maisey"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Stu,
Just emailed you a lead....

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Shocked you going to have a ceremony- and an offical "name transfer" to the new "Maisey"

I say we call it MJ for Maisy Junior.
’65 Deluxe Build
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Maisy 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Sweet find nick! I wish!!! I hope!!

I'm looking at a full running driving bus right now for a good deal in Seattle which would cover the issue of getting a bus down to where my other one is to swap stuff around, and not having to drive my bus to the shell and swap on site. Very ideal but waiting on cash to accumulate....

Going to come up with a new name. Much better name. Likely a guy name.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Danté the Hellrider!

Oh, wait. That ones been taken.
Sorry Wanderglobe. Embarassed
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

I've never understood the bus naming thing. Real men don't name their buses. Okay, let the hate begin.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I've never understood the naming thing. Real men don't name them. Okay, let the hate begin.

It's okay if you don't name it. I'm sure your wife will if you don't. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Nope. She drove our bus daily for years and never got close. She did get pretty good at push starting though.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

Naming it makes it feel like it has a personality and makes it part of the family. It's all part of the nostalgia and mystique of owning a bus.

Mine came with a name, The Bone Bus. Deffently a dude bus name. The name came with a story, that's the important part.
’65 Deluxe Build
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a lead on a transporter shell to build the Beast! Reply with quote

I will never understand why you don't just go with an XJ. Preferably one with an airbag. More power, more off road capability, cheaper parts, plenty of space inside to sleep and a roof to add everything you want to throw up there.

On the subject of naming. If the subject that I'm calling can't respond to its name, I don't give it one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: