Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top Frame Hook Angle
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

It is hard for me to tell from this photo, but does the top frame hook (that screws onto the windshield frame) run 90 degrees to the flat edge?

I started to get a small drip from rain water at the top and since the seals appeared to be good I was taking a closer look at the latches and hooks.

http://www.thethingshop.com/TOP-FRAME-HOOK-BRONZE/productinfo/181871385B/

Both of mine have the hook pulled up and the angle is well over 90 degrees (probably more like 120 degrees). Probably from just 20 years of usage. There is also a small stress crack underneath each hook-again probably wear and tear.

I guess there is no way to repair unless I can straighten them and then weld the stress crack. They are orig 181 parts so that is why I may go through the trouble to try and save them. Not sure if these are bronze or not though.

Thanks for any info/suggestions.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

As I can recall the hooks on mine are at 90 degrees or close to 90 degrees from the mounting plate. Based on spots where the black paint has worn off they do appear to be made of brass or bronze.

One tip that I received from the previous owner was to unlatch the two latches at the bottom of the windshield before attempting to latch the top frame to the top of the windshield. This seems to make it a little easier to line things up and to close the top latches. This method also seems to be a little less stressful on the top latches but because my top frame is not perfectly straight it is still sometimes a challenge to close the top latches.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

Thanks for the info-I guess I will be on the look for some new hooks.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

I replaced mine with the stainless steel ones from TTS. Cost more but worth it in my book...lifetime guarantee and very durable.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I read. The stainless ones from The Thing Shop come with the latches as well and having a lifetime guarantee shows that they must be a quality item (and I am sure more durable then the stock ones).
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Frame Hook Angle Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
I replaced mine with the stainless steel ones from TTS. Cost more but worth it in my book...lifetime guarantee and very durable.

I am another who bought the TTS stainless-steel latch sets for my Type 181 and have found them to be perfect in all aspects...strong, secure and well fabricated. Well worth the cost, IMO. I use them with a TTS custom ragtop and the whole set-up is absolutely sweet (no gaps, malalignments or odd angled windscreen, etc.).

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: