Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 'S' daily upgrades
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Hi, I have a '63 notchback and I want to squeeze its engine a bit. What can I do? I think about W110 cam, 4 to 1 header, lightened flywheel...

Can I increase bore and/or stroke this engine? I want a reliable engine with good mpg.

I'm waiting for your answers

Cheers

Alberto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

You have a stock 1500 S engine? I would find a 1600 type 3 donor to make something from scratch, the 1500 is close to blowing up as it is: 8.5:1 C/R with the stock cam, essentially a 1200 case & 6mm oil pump studs, etc.. 1500 rods, and twin carbs, enough to get you in trouble as is.

that same engine with a w-110 will be a miserable wreck!!

Last edited by FreeBug on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

you can increase the bore/stroke of any engine.
it just depends on how much work you want to do.
which, if you want the benefits of a W110 you're going to need to do plenty.
like bigger valves, dual carbs and counterweighted crank.
if you don't want to get into a bunch of machine work and/or different heads, think about a smaller cam like a W100 or a "cheater".
87/88mm pistons/cylinders can be done with minimal machine work.

research, grasshopper Smile
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

There is not much out there about hopping up early type 3's, but I think it's you that may benefit from doing some research. 1500S already has dual carbs, bigger valves, and bubble pistons.

87/88 in a type 3? 100 cam in a 1500S? Ok grasshopper...

Alberto, you probably should go to the Type 3 forum, where people know about the early cars better than here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
borninabus wrote:

There is not much out there about hopping up early type 3's, but I think it's you that may benefit from doing some research. 1500S already has dual carbs, bigger valves, and bubble pistons.

87/88 in a type 3? 100 cam in a 1500S? Ok grasshopper...

Alberto, you probably should go to the Type 3 forum, where people know about the early cars better than here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Okey, thanks to all!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

The 1500S is one of the SWEETEST stock engines there is, I would find it worthwhile to build it back up, really hard to source the hi-comp pistons, though.

I rebuilt mine on a stock 1600 case, though, really much better.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Continues here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672297&highlight=
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: