Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

I got what I think is a deal on a complete Legacy wagon today. It's a 2.2-L 5-speed with 120k miles and ODBII. Runs great. Compression check showed 175 psi on each cylinder except #3, which was between 160-165. Only obvious problem is it is leaking some oil from around the pan.

My plan is to swap it into my 85 Weekender next winter, or sooner if the 1.9 gives up the ghost this summer. I have been reading up on this (including the epic ChesterKV thread) and have a basic familiarity with the process.

So today's big question: What to do to my donor before I start disassembly? I have some ideas like cleaning the engine at a carwash and driving through a tank of Sea Foamed gas, but what else? Other things to check besides the compression?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

If A/C still has refrigerant, get it evac'd.
Drain engine oil, check plug for metal collection on magnet. Drain coolant, see if it seems moderately fresh. Both fluids should not seem cross contaminated.

Can you include a link to the thread you mentioned please? I'd also like more mentions of good threads, web pages, videos, and whatever else people have found to be top notch info. Collections of info I really like:

weidefamily.net/vanagon/
Tom Sheils info on subaruvanagon.com/
BoxerSwaps.com videos and webpages
benplace.com/

Please nominate your favorites!
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Thanks!

bobbyblack wrote:

Can you include a link to the thread you mentioned please?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237938
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

The 2.2 L with OBD 2 management is a great choice. Let us know if we can help. We help people through the process every day.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
We help people through the process every day.

You guys got me the round engine connector in one day, I couldn't believe it. Totally stoked on your help. Thanks!!! (PS. I'll be asking for more stuff and help, too Wink

The big issue I am facing now is that Tom Sheils is taking a break, I don't want to bug him for the thermostat kit. Anyone stock this by chance?
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Cool! BTW, I think Ben of BenPlace says that the early ones like ours are the hardest wire harness job... but, we got what we got. You will feel better when it is out:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1575563.jpg

PS: Don't remove it like I did. [ 5 people, multiple jacks, beams, etc.] Rent an engine pulling hoist (cherry picker.) Or, hell, just buy one... Plenty on CL for like $100. I did get an engine stand, that is also a good idea.

My stats:

Engine out = 5 hours of my time, 10 minutes of the other 4 helping lift at the end

Harness out = 5 more hours.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

I'm no expert on conversions and not really interested in doing one, but my friends who have done them told me they got great help from the yahoo vanagon/subaru conversion group.
You probably already knew about that, though.

Bobby, did you just beat the engine out of the car with the 2x4's? Cheese and rice, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that picture.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Bobby, did you just beat the engine out of the car with the 2x4's? Cheese and rice, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that picture.

It was the end of a day job at work, then 5 hours unbolting of all the cruft and prepping to pull. It does look like you say. Completely crazy. I got help lifting it a couple inches at a time, and relocating the 2X4's and 4X4 a little each time, then finally when it was up far enough to clear, everyone helped lift with some long pipes through the chain. Popped it into the rim I had, on top of the rolling board. Funny how 260 pounds of engine can scare the bajezus out of 5 grown people. All in all it was stupid, but nobody was really in danger, and the engine was eased out and down. No damage to persons or property, unless you count the oil stains on the lumber.

Like I say, get a cherry picker.
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Like I say, get a cherry picker.

For under $200, buying an engine hoist seems like a no-brainer.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Quote:
weidefamily.net/vanagon/
Tom Sheils info on subaruvanagon.com/
BoxerSwaps.com videos and webpages
benplace.com/

Please nominate your favorites!

The Yahoo SubaruVanagon Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subaruvanagon/info
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:
The Yahoo SubaruVanagon Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subaruvanagon/info

I've been on the Yahoo Vanagon Subaru group for well over a year. Can't for the life of me figure out how to search through to find anything. Is there a guide, or some kind of method to the madness? It is truly a diamond in the rough. Looks like a rock, feels like a rock, hell, its a rock. Spit on it, cut off some bits, and bam, its fit for a king. But, I don't know the first thing about how to cut a diamond, so my only choice is...

Advice needed
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Mine the files section for conversion info
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

I've been on the Yahoo Vanagon Subaru group for well over a year. Can't for the life of me figure out how to search through to find anything.

Why do you think I'm not planning to do my swap until *next* winter? Very Happy

But seriously, I've been through all the files sections there and randomly reading stuff, but the Yahoo Groups interface is a disaster. Search takes forever. I am hoping that when I have more specific questions that I can just ask them and get good feedback. It does seem like there are plenty of people active every day there.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

As mentioned previously: www.boxerswaps.com and Mick's YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCp7AKlfjQzZiV3IhwzbBdbg

Got me through my swap.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Youtube has videos on engine removal (and harness maybe as well).If the timing belt hasn't been done at 100,000mi,then you should do it with a water pump as well.(youTube videos as well).You will need a 95 ECU pinout to do your harness. Decide what vendor's parts you will use.Decide on your coolant layout. Search the files at subaruvanagon,build sites and builds documented on theSamba.Use Google search ie. VW vanagon _________.
Good luck.
http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/ts_conversion.htm
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

88 Wolfsburg auto Carat with 02 Subaru 2.5L(2003)
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

great choice. I used the same donor car. keep your ac compressor and power steering pumps even if you don't plan to use them. You may use them down the road. you need to keep the 2 vacuum switches on the passenger side strut mount. Take the charcoal filter from the donor car. you can use it in your van. You can only use a reversed coolant manifold if you cut your coolant pipe end off. On the early pipes, its too close.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Heres my current coolant setup. I trimmed my stock heat shield up so it doesn't touch my RMW heat shield and moved by coolant bottle to the right side. These pipes are the perimeter pipe and return pipe from Burley. The heater hose from the wbx right cylinder head is perfect to go from the bottom outlet on the coolant bottle, to the inlet on the pipe. I chose a 90 degree 1.5" molded hose from the back of a parts store to fit from the engine outlet to pipe. You would also need to cut both of your coolant pipes for these unless burley makes them for an early van. Your best bet would be to replace your coolant pipes with stainless ones for a late van. It is good practice to change the head gaskets and timing belt while you have the engine out of the car.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Keep asking your questions there, you should get plenty of help.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 conversion, here I come (just bought a 95 Legacy) Reply with quote

Good luck to you on this project.

I purchased a '88 with a Subaru 2.2 with Small Car parts and a Tom Sheils harness.
If you don't have another to check out, you can bring beer to my house and we can work something out. But I live a little north of Traverse City.

Also, there is a guy in Wisconsin who you may want to consider. I have only seen his posts on the facebook. Never met him or heard anything good or bad.
http://www.autoventuresllc.net/services.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: