Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BA 4 Heater Poll
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you plan on doing with your gas heater this season?
I'd like to get my heater running this year.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
My heater runs just fine.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Heat? who needs heat? It's warm all the time!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I need to get the car running and mechanically sound first.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

I just wanted to take a quick poll on where our fellow T4 owners are in regard to the gas heater. If so, is it running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

If its mine your asking about. The coil and the glow plug haven't been tested yet. I'll install the heater when I get them, and keep you posted. Bob
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

Quote:
If its mine your asking about. The coil and the glow plug haven't been tested yet. I'll install the heater when I get them, and keep you posted. Bob

Hi Bob, This is just a general poll for everyone, as the heater is such a nice piece of machinery. I was curious as to where folks on the site here stand when it comes to the operation of the BA4. Plus, I wanted to volunteer my services to help others get it running again. It took me a lot of trial and error, but I learned a lot rebuilding mine. If it’s just a coil and Glow Plug you need tested , feel free to mail them to me - I can plug them into my system and see if they work. Won’t take me but 20 minutes. Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:

Man...so sorry for the delay Bob. Been on the road. Got it tested two weekends ago and got hung up on the how to pictures and work intervened.

Your spark/glow plug is good. Your coil was bad but I have a good spare one along with a spare glow plug I will get in the mail back to you Monday.

Ray
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

I have no idea if the heater works. But, I definitely want it working!
Walter
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

Ok thanks Ray, I've been in Texas for awhile for Christmas, but I'm back home now. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

Thanks Ron for your concern and offer. Ray is doing that for me. I'm looking forward to getting the heater back in. It has been a great part of this car. I spent a lot of time in Wyoming and Colorado in the 70's and that heater was fantastic in the winters up there. Especially running around the mountains up there. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Thanks Ron for your concern and offer. Ray is doing that for me. I'm looking forward to getting the heater back in. It has been a great part of this car. I spent a lot of time in Wyoming and Colorado in the 70's and that heater was fantastic in the winters up there. Especially running around the mountains up there. Bob

Bob, I am done and they will be out the door to you in the am. I am sorry this took so long.

Your coil was shot.....but I had a spare that I tested and it works fine. I am sending you both. Your glow plug was just fine. It sparks and glows and has good resistance. I also have a spare that I am sending to you so you have two good glow plugs.

I will also do a short write up of how to test your parts...fuel pump, coil and glow plug if you do not have a car where the heater is operating yet....or the car is not running and has no battery.

As long as you can either have a spare heater blower unit handy or pull yours out onto the benchtop...just the motor....you can test the components.

This is also important because its really common...as I found years ago when driving these and again just a couple days ago....that there are maintenance issues in the blower motor that may prevent four coil or fuel pump from working. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, really appreciate your help. I have the blower unit out and still haven't been able to loosen than little allen wrench screw on one end, so I can make the adjustment. Haven't given up though. Next step is to try heating it. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Thanks Ray, really appreciate your help. I have the blower unit out and still haven't been able to loosen than little allen wrench screw on one end, so I can make the adjustment. Haven't given up though. Next step is to try heating it. Bob

Bob....the parts when out yesterday. Your old coil and a good one. They are both marked. Also two good tested glow plugs. Your original and a spare.

By the way for everyone reading this.....I had a strange spare coil that I picked up in high school. It was given to me by the old school mechanic I used before i learned how to work on my stuff.
I tested it.....and it works great!.....and.....I looked it up and it is still made, readily available....and CHEAP!

I will posts pictures later but its actually a coil made by Hitachi and used on Honda, Yamaha and other motorcycles.

Its part # is CM11-50. I can typically find them online for $30 or less new.

Before you go buying them....let me post aomething on them in the next couple of days.

There are two difgerent types. One that has the primary coul ground through the points....meaning like normal....when the points open. But it is also connected to the condensor in the fan unit so its not a direct short to ground.

But.....if the condensor is bad.....as I found on one of mine.....it connects the coil directly to ground and it never charges so you never get spark.

The other type....is AC voltage. Made for magneto ignition....so will not function in our system.

Bob.....by tomorrow I will have a quicky diagram of how to test your coil and glow plug....with the blower unit on the bench and just with a 12 volt battery.

This is important to do this. Even though I tested the coil and plugs I sent to you....so we know they are good.......you need to hook it up and test them with YOUR blower unit so you know the points and capacitot is good.....before you install the whole thing again.

You eo not want to test it connected to the whole system....because you could hage a problem in the wiring, a relay, a switch etc.....and would never know if the points and condensor are bad or if its something else.

You can also check your fuel pump and its points and condensor this way. I have a write up with diagrams I was working on. I will get it posted and I can mail you my test wire r8g so all you need is your battery and your blower.

Ray
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BA 4 Heater Poll Reply with quote

Hello Ray,

This is all really good stuff. Thank you!

BR,

Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: