Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

got it out. thanks. Guess all the globbered on silicone made it difficult to tell what was what.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any silicone on any connections. Just some gaskets and pipe clamps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Need some more input. And yes, I did some searching first.

I need to replace the left rear half floorpan (just found it). WW only sells the whole thing at $250. So far, best option I have found is M&T manufacturings 20 ga portion for this area. Are there any better optioms (18 ga perhaps) for left rear pan halves on a 73 SB????
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Been a while since I have posted, but i am almost ready to send the body off for painting. I have one or two small things to address and one of those is a broken body bolt up at the corners near the firewall. When removing the bolts one of them is rusted in the threads and I wound up shearing the bolt.

How is this best attacked? I am thinking of cutting out a section from the bottom so I can replace the threaded plateup in there - is this the best approach? Any experience from anyone with this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merry Christmas to all!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Get yourself a 8mm nut and start it on the screwed up bolt that is left. Take a mug welder and weld that nut to the stud. The heat from welding will break the rust bond, and you will have a good hex to fit an impact socket to. Should come out with little effort!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Also, just to update the thread as to where things stand on the rebuild. Basically, I have been stripping off old paint mechnically and recovering with two coats of Masterseries Silver as a base primer. Been a slow process but the body is almost done now - all I lack is the front end underneath and a small section in the emgine bay. Then onto the hood, doors and trunk lid. Then finally off to the painters where it will be rayed while I do all the chassis work. Here are a few photos of the bug im its current state:

b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Jimbo, tried something similar last night - I welded a bolt to the nub sticking out, but it isnt very long and couldnt get good penetration so when I put the impact on it , it simply sheared. I looked at it a while ago and there isnt much meat to thread on a nut, plus the threads are all wonky now.

Thinking about drilling it out after staring at it a while - will be slow, but might work if carefully done and maybe if I get a big enough hole in it an easy out may work???? Any other ideas are welcome.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

An impact? My kinda guy. . . . . But that may have been a bit of overkill.
Might try a simple box-end with lots of back and forth, wiggle waggle to get it moving.
Good luck. Merry Xmas.

Mike.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Quote:
Thinking about drilling it out

IIRC I had the same problem on the '56 Beetle body which I worked on nearly 30 years ago when performing a pan swap. Those 4 corner bolts are an M10 x 1.25 thread; maybe they were M10 x 1.5 but they are the same thread as your lower engine attachment studs. I bolted the captive plate down against the body using the other M10 bolt so that it did not wiggle around, then drilled out the broken bolt using consecutively larger bits. Did not use a stud extractor. When I got to the point where the drill bit was the same diameter as the bolt shank so that the thread windings would break free of the captive nut, I just used a tap to chase and clean out/reshape the threads. Then applied anti-seize grease to all 4 bolt threads.

Consider chasing all your fender bolt holes in the body with an M8x1.25 tap. Tedious but helps prevent deforming your fender bolts at reassembly, so that they all go in with easy hand-turning.

Thank you for using the camera flash for many of your interior and close-up shots and letting the camera focus. You don't see enough of that these days with most other posters.

Will your bro-in-law's friend still do the painting? If your daughter is still interested in the car once you have it all back together, assembled and running, she'll be probably the only one in her class who can drive a stick shift. Strongly recommend adding a high-mounted 3rd brake light, a strong horn, and fresh inertia-reel 3-point safety belts. The ones in your car might be aged and fraying at the edges, especially the driver's belt which would have the most usage over time.

If you are still open as to the interior color, here is the 1973 Beetle sales brochure showing dark blue as the only color for Marina Blue Super Btl. By contrast, 25 yrs ago I built a '72 Standard Beetle for cheap which was Marina Blue. I used original door panels from my spare parts which I sprayed a very light beige using vinyl spray paint, to match the light beige seats from a BMW 3-Series. Have you asked your daughter for her input on the interior color?
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

If you are still open as to the interior color, here is the 1973 Beetle sales brochure showing dark blue as the only color for Marina Blue Super Btl.

Mine came from the factory marina w/dark blue. When I painted/did the interior last year I ended up going with the tan and I like it a lot better. Probably would also look good with grey or maybe black carpet with white seats.

For the stuck bolt if there is enough to weld another nut on I would do that, let it cool, spray it with penetrating oil and try to wiggle it, if not get it hot again with a torch try it hot, let it cool, etc. and just heat cycle it. Great to see another 73 coming to life. Here is my 73 color combo:

b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Productive day today!!

1). Got the bolt extracted. Basically, drilled it out working from sequential sizes until it basicaaly fell apart in the hole. Retapped the hole with an M10 x 1.5 tap and them installed a bolt. It tightened up just fine so I am ecstatic. The suggestion to install a bolt in the other hole to keep it from moving during drilling was a GREAT tip!

2). Installed new hood seal on the front apron. Went pretty smooth. Pics below

Gonna be too cold next couple days to get a lot done, but pleased with todays work.
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Rome and Hatracks,

Yes, still have the painter lined up - aiming for March. As for interior colors, at this point my wife and daughter have picked out a light gray from the Sewfine catalog. I still plan on sending off for samples from Sewfine, but the interior seems so far away we really haven't nailed it down just yet. I will show them the pics of the tan and see what they think, but got a feeling it will be light gray.

Appreciate all of y'alls input and help.

Brian
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Glad you got your body bolt repaired.

One more suggestion for the interior. Porsche 356 had a light blue color called Meissen Blue (named after the German city known for porcelain) that is similar to your Marina Blue. They offered a red interior for that color. It would seem to clash, but that's all personal taste. Here's one for sale with that combination: http://cprclassic.com/images/carspreviouslysold/356/MeissenBlue59ConvertibleD/images.html

One of the VW seat upholstery vendors probably offer a red which would be similar. Carpet color could be either an oatmeal as in the 356, charcoal or black to contrast with the red seats and door panels. Then again, a very light grey or cream would work well.
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

I will admit, I like that red on the porsche; however, my wife and daughter think it would look hideous on a Beetle...so looks like the most likely interior color will be grey of some sort, although they did mention tan as well, so we shall see.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

We have a 1973/74 super too. We went with a grey interior kit with standard white headliner and grey door cards. For the grey seats - you can see the color on the bench seat resting on top of the car in the photo. The exterior color was going to be red, but we thought better of it and went with this "satin azure" blue color. I like the color. I also liked tan as an interior carpet color, thinking it would blend in with the sand from the tropical beach that is nowhere near here. We embraced the "safety" dash but did color an old dash cover to match the exterior color to cover up the cracked original dash.

b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

Been a long time since I have posted anything on the rebuild; this was mostly due to the fact that I was doing the very mundane and time consuming work of stripping the body of paint and priming. Well, the big milestone is here - the priming is done! The plan is to send it to the painter this weekend. Feels like a huge accomplishment.

Overall, the body wasn't in terrible shape; however, I was able to find evidence of previous fender benders in the past that affected the rear apron and front apron. They were well hidden under filler. The guy doing the paint should be able to straighten out some of the worst offending dings. No major welding was required other than some small patches on one of the heater channels and the ubiquitous death foam area. The death foam repairs came out well in my opinion and I am pleased.

Once the body is gone I can finally turn my attention to the chassis work and completely redoing the brakes once the chassis/floor pans are repaired. I am sure once I get into the fun stuff, I will have many more questions. I am so looking forward to driving the old beetle again - modern cars are like marshmallows to me - no personality and boring overall.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

You'll get real motivated again once the body comes back from paint all pretty. I just got my fenders and decklids back from the painter after, well I won't say how long, but it's inspiring. Now that you're down to the pan, don't forget to flip it over and check/replace the tunnel metal if it's bad. No better time or way to do it.
I just bled my whole new brake system, and new fuel system. Good feeling to finally check some big stuff off. Hoping to fire off and break-in the new engine in the next few weeks. Keep it up! I can attest, there is a point when it will be done, and it's a pretty great feeling!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

The poc above is of the tube that drains the fresh air box on a 73. Mine did not leave the car intact. Who sells a good one? Cant seem to find it on west coast metric (where I usually get rubber components), so not sure where to look - any suggestions?
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

[quote="Hatracks"][quote="Rome"]

Is that a Vintage Speed shifter....if so how do you like it?

Thanks
Doc

Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian's 1973 SB Rebuild Reply with quote

That is a neat looking shifter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: