Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

S M O O T H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
In the video I watched about how to apply it, the guys used a cheese grater on it before it hardened completely. Not sure if that helps. I'll let you know how it goes!

I use a small 4 inch drywall rasp. Works great after the mix sets but is still in a semi plastic state. Then 60 grit. Let that kick off all the way and then skim it with filler again or the red body putty.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Buggee, Late perhaps but I found this article to be a really simple/good explanation of primers, speaking as one who really understood next to nothing about them.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/primer.htm

As a fellow amateur that looks like a good resource to me, packs the primer basics into one place.

Before I laid on the high build primer, I had fogged a light coat of self etch primer - only onto any exposed bare metal spots but not all over the filler. Then the high build buried it all for further preparation with even finer grit wet sanding.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

70° is magic weather for birds chirping, dogs playing... And air compressors!

So I taped off the bug, went at it with the seam sealer, got all the nooks and crannies with internal frame coating and then laid on a coat of satin chassis paint.

It feels good to bring closure to these areas. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

What products were you using? Anything you would do differently? How much prep for each?

Sorry man, just always on the look out for something better.

Looking great! Amazing work!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
What products were you using? Anything you would do differently? How much prep for each?

Sorry man, just always on the look out for something better.

Looking great! Amazing work!

Ok so down the rabbit hole with me you go! First. It looks good to you because you are standing in California. Its what you call a 2,403.2 mi paint job.

Preface. This is rebuilt salvage branded, back yard assembled, Saturday cruise drivin' fun. Tis all. Nuttin Mo. Being built to continue doin' what its been doin' - driving with gaping smile from ear to ear.

The bug is from Cali though, and is solid metal almost everywhere, except where that clip got grafted on up front. There it is 79% mig wire. Still, metal under everything.

In addition to the generous slathering of seam sealer by VW, and the dealer applied undercoating in the wells, prior owner(s) had brushed heavy globs of POR 15 all over the inside of the trunk on the shock towers and tire well, encasing the loose paint chips, and whatnot right where it all laid, like bugs caught in prehistoric amber. No preparation at all meant that serious portions would just peel off the shiny paint underneath, whereas other portions adhered permanently.

I got the undercoating off with an air scraper when it was about freezing outside so it was brittle. I prepped the wheel wells and inside of the trunk with a wire wheel, a 80 grit sanding disc, 80 grit hand sandpaper, the flat blade of a screw driver, a utility knife... etc. Anything that could be gotten loose was gotten loose and roughed up.

The idea was to ready it for a chassis finish, not color. It will never be color in there. There are still lots of runs and drips from the prior POR 15 and globs of factory seam sealer, etc. I removed all the factory seam sealer around both sides of the shock towers during that repair.

Underneath is really nice shape. Solid metal everywhere, factory color vaguely visible in a uniform light patina from atmosphere moisture but no salt or rot. I soaked the whole underside with a hand spray bottle in phosphoric acid metal prep. You've seen this before:

I let that sit for an hour and then hosed it all out. Then I did it again. Rinse repeat a few times. I did that up in the trunk too (before any primer). Then after a good rinse top and bottom, I blew the whole thing out, top and bottom, real well with a leaf blower. Then I turned on the heaters for an hour. Then I let it sit a week to be dry.

I etch primed any shiny bare metal spots in the wells and in the trunk (not the patina underneath) with Rustoleum Rattle self-etch primer.

All the nooks and crannies in up in the shock towers and in all the body cavities and caverns underneath, in the apron, the bulkhead, the heater tube caverns, etc. were slathered in Eastwood internal frame coating with a 2 foot flexible wand. The stuff crawls everywhere through every seam and crevice. I spent two cans of that. Then on the readily accessible panels underneath that had not been covered in frame paint, I hit the patina with a spray can of Eastwood rust encapsulator. Then I emptied two tubes of 3M beige seam sealer into every cavity and seam of all sides of the shock towers and a couple lines of the spare tire tub. Here are the three muskateers, and living proof that I suck at caulking:

Then I sprayed everything with one super heavy coat (not the proper way but I'm not concerned about a sag or drip in these areas) of Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Satin Underbody Coating (its a paint, not an undercoating).

I used a ten dollar Harbor Freight detail paint gun that has a tiny little cup that rotates so you can set the little gun to spray any direction, up, sideways down, etc. It fit up under the dash, into the corner to shoot down the defrost cavern, up under the fire wall, etc.

And that is how I did my 2,403.2 mi paint job for the chassis and inner trunk area.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
...Anything you would do differently? ...

Nope. For this ride its exactly as expected and I feel very very good about how everything under there is really cleaned out, etched for adhesion and then protected for the the next forty years of service.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Nice details, Buggeee. I like your strategy. To help maybe protect that metal a little bit more in the rust coast, have you experienced Fluid Film? Its part oil part wax - the wax dries and keeps the oil against the paint for, like, a really long time (what is the shelf like of oily wax?). You can get a two-foot wand that sprays in all directions. It's perfect for those "in between" and "behind" places that you will never see again. The only down side is that 40 years from now, the next owner will curse you because it is so hard to get off and thus complicating the future welding process. I learned about it over on the Vanagon forum. It's made of mostly natural ingredients (you can actually make it on your stove) and provides a nice aroma that many bus/van owners appreciate. You can buy it at your FLAPS but the wand has to be ordered. Here are some reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Kellsport-Products-Undercoating-Extension-bottles/product-reviews/B0048770KE
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
...have you experienced Fluid Film? Its part oil part wax - the wax dries and keeps the oil against the paint for, like, a really long time (what is the shelf like of oily wax?)...

I haven't experienced it but I have read about it in the Vanagon threads, and I have a gun with wands that will shoot it. I don't have plans (yet) to have this bug in the salt so I'm just painting everything. I may fluid film my daughter's Honda though, cause once the lipstick is on that car it will be driven into the ground and later repair work won't be an issue of any kind.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Love that seam sealer shot. I'm going to hit the floor w/that when I get to working the underside of the car. BTW, I use Fluid Film liberally on the car every fall in prep for winter. Underside, fender wells and every exposed seam I can find. Car looks like shit for months as that stuff holds onto all the crap the hits it. It's lanolin-oil based.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up! I am always on the look out for another product that does a specific job. I like to have multiple options, that way I can jump here or there if need be. I have yet to use any of Eastwood's products. Looks like I need to jump in and see how great they are for myself.

Thanks Buggeee!

It looks great. I really think it would be more like a twenty foot paint job, but you can add the miles up if you want to! You also forgot that my eyesight has deviated from 20/10 to 20/20 in the last year. I hate getting older. So, there is that detail to. Makes everything look so much better!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Ohhhh Yeahhhh!!! Change of plans. Porsche Signal Green. German racing heritage for my girl!

I'm just not satisfied with the finish in that trunk area. Plus the front end could use some sound deadening and the wheel wells need some protection from stone chips and road debris.

Let's use some of this base coat to mix up a batch of tintable truck bedliner. Wink

Tape it up. Plug the bolt holes with safety ear plugs....

Ohhhh Yeahhhh!!! Before we spray these business areas with bedliner, let's just reflect on how far we've come.

Man doesn't all that prep work and paint really pay off at moments like this. Days and days of wire wheel, wire brushes, 80 grit sandpaper by hand.... sore shoulders, sore back... but now - look at that clean, satin black business. All those hours were worth it to get here.

Ok. Let's button it up with the good stuff. Hit it!

Ohhhh Yeahhhh!!! First coat tease. This is going to look fantastic!

Wait... what the fudge?!!

Ohhhh Nooooo!!! I know what this is. So do you if you've ever sprayed the next coat outside the window of opportunity, or used paint stripper I guess. Apparently the Eastwood Chassis Black needed more than the 3 days I gave it to cure.

All that can be done now is sit and watch it rise like a souffle in the oven. Not gonna cry. Not gonna cry.

Then, fully risen, get to it while it's still soft. Ever let paint stripper sit to long and dry out on the car? Not fun.

Get to work.

All up under the dash.

Down the defrost caverns.

Nooks and crannies putting an English muffin to shame.

What a rubbery, gooey sticky mess.

Unmitigated disaster. Crying or Very sad

Set myself back a week here Peeps. Fifteen minutes of spraying. Three and a half hours of scraping. The fun has just begun. Now I have to let this cure a bit and start in on it again with the wire wheel, wire brushes, 80 grit sandpaper by hand....

I do love the color though. I can't help but smile when I look at that color.

Tomorrow is a new day.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Hahahaa, where'd you get the earplug idea? I've been using my old retired earplugs for years to plug various crankcase holes when building engines (I use a LOT of earplugs) Laughing
Nice job pluggin' em up.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I like the color ! Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry bro. I hate when that happens. I have learned to run a few 12” x 12” pieces of sheet metal alongside my builds, as I apply the various layers. It has saved my ass several times with dissimilar material properties. Not only spraying my own cars but when spraying furniture (I build one off custom pieces) and spraying residential cabinetry. Around here the AQMD (the Air Quality Management Dicks, oh wait, Department) has governed that open air spraying can only be done with water based products. No water borne, has to be water based. But we can spray with conversion top coats with a booth, thankfully, but 90% of my company’s spraying is on site, in homes. Ever shoot acetone onto an oil based primer, similar result, if the oil is still kicking off.

Sorry man. You know the saying, it is in my signature line. 67Rusty knows it too, but he went three times on his engine build. Nature of the hobby.

BTW admire your attitude with this!

I am rooting for you. Minor set back.

I second, Cool color!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Love the color!!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

21 hours of labor on the wire wheel, wire brush, 80 grit sandpaper by hand, a gallon of lacquer thinner, 4 rolls of shop towels and 40 oz of epoxy primer = Back to square One (1).

It was worth it.

A note on Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint product. It does not play well with others. In talking with the Eastwood rep at the store, he said it is very particular about what primer it goes over. It will wrinkle anything except for Eastwood Rust Converter, Eastwood Chassis Primer or an epoxy primer. Apparently other products will also wrinkle the Chassis Black, as I have found out. Also... when I re-shot this with epoxy primer there were a few areas of the unmolested Chassis Black that wrinkled up under the epoxy primer. So... I will still use it as a topcoat for the pans with a designated under armor but only because I still have a quart of it to use. Beyond that, I may be looking for a more forgiving product for the under guts of a car. I'm just glad that I happened to use compatible products underneath the chassis. All is well under there.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I'm not gonna have any rain in this bugs trunk! I will use the Mexi seal for the hood because I cant spot weld a rain c-channel along the bodywork down the smile of the hood. However, that still requires an OE section of hood seal along the cowel. So I'm spot welding a new c-channel on with a household current spot-welder from Harbor Freight. Spoiler alert - it works great.

I got a c-channel from one of the usual vendors and found it to be too short. Then I ordered a longer one from one of the other usual vendors and found it to be just right. Its about 3 feet I guess. The short one was about 2 feet. I will pay better attention to the descriptions next time as I now know they come in different sizes.

I snipped off two little samples and practiced a spot weld.

I dressed the ends with a die-grinder before installing it, with the goal of easing the rubber's entrance into the channel when I get to that part.

I marked the center of the channel.

I spot welded it in the center first and then worked my way down one side pressing it into shape against the cowl as I went along. Then I went back to the center and worked my way down the other side. It went very well for a first time if I do say so myself. Just a couple seconds on the trigger and you can hear it and see a little cherry appear. That's it. Spot welded.

The instructions warned that if you didn't squeze the work together with the spot welder securely, the little gap would allow an arc that would burn right through. Here is what that looks like.

Not the end of the world and the third one put a clean spot right in between those two. Now I have the hang of it.

Overall beauty shot:

And... a little etch primer and seam sealer to protect from invasion.

A productive weekend after all. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Wow sucks about the bedliner/paint.

You're kicking ass. How do you find the time bro?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Wow sucks about the bedliner/paint.

You're kicking ass. How do you find the time bro?

I don't sleep. You'll get used to it. Kids train you hard for this, you will see. The night I posted the bedliner fiasco I came in at 10 pm after a few hours of scraping thinking I was beat. Could not close my eyes to save my life. Kept thinking about that mush hardening into a cement coffin. It would have killed this project for me. I'd have quit and get a sticker that says "Bought not Built" for my next dub.

Problem is, however, that I already have a sticker that says "Built not Bought" sitting in my tool box waiting for this ride. So, I got my sorry old arse out of bed, hit the lights and was up untill 5:00 a.m. laboring on her while the ooze was still ooze. Head hit the pillow HARD at 5:00. Alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. Get up and go to work. Lol. Aint no thing. U'll see Dad! lmao.

Thanks for the check-in Cuz. Gotta get her under paint. Cruizes commin'. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Three heavy coats of buildable primer on the front quarters, cowl, dash and roof.

Eventually, this will be all sanded smooth with a fine grit wet paper. For now, however, movin' on! Very Happy

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 45

Jump to: