Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I always assumed if you had a surf board on your car you were going surfing.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

What the he!! is the matter with me?

Link

Build thread will be here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692721

But that one is tucked away for some future life... in the meantime I will finish my darling slammer dammer super duper.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

"If you suffer from mild to moderate ACVW fever, talk to your healthcare provider about whether or not another ACVW is right for you" Wink
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

A well traveled road, some here have had too many VWs to count Very Happy
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

You are crazy...and it doesnt end. I was that way for a long time with american muscle cars, then japanese muscle, and now a super beetle followed me home...sort of getting the urge to do an early subaru brat or something all wheel drive next Laughing
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Wish i had read this last night... I went by the torque setting in the book. Got one bolt to around 50 lbs and it started to push away the washer. So i stopped went to another it may have gotten to 60lbs and snapped flush with the torsion housing.

Now i have to try and retrieve that. I was far to pissed off last night to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Agent47 wrote:
Wish i had read this last night... I went by the torque setting in the book. Got one bolt to around 50 lbs and it started to push away the washer. So i stopped went to another it may have gotten to 60lbs and snapped flush with the torsion housing.

Now i have to try and retrieve that. I was far to pissed off last night to do it.

Uh-oh. Sounds like you got bit by the dreaded incorrect torque setting on the illustration of the spring plate cover bolts. Welcome to the club!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I even looked in the Haynes manual, it says 80-87. I did a quick Google search and the first few pages all said 87. Even though it didn't seem right to me I went against my better judgement and tried to torque them that high.

I knew something wasn't right, split washers are not typically torqued very high.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Any suggestions on getting the bolt out? I will likely drill out a hole and try to hammer a torx bit in and back it out.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry, Buggee, don't mean to hijack your thread. Let me make sure I don't leave unclear information here.

Use *real* talc if you use rubber bushings. Urethane ones come w/a supper gooey grease. I only use rubber in the rear, I find the urethane is too stiff.

The three on the right get 80 lbs. The four on the left get 25 lbs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

http://www.vw-resource.com/rearaxle.html

They have it wrong here as well. Looking in the Haynes book it says spring plate bolts 80-87 and diagonal arm pivot bolt 87. Those are the only two torque settings given for the rear suspension.

I replaced the rear torsion rubber with rubber. The pivot I replaced with polyurethane.
I put some grease on them, didn't have talc. But since I will have to buy new hardware I could stop and buy talcum powder. Is there any reason for talc over grease?
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I got the broken bolt out with a stripped screw extractor. Drilled a tiny hole in the center, then used the smallest extractor and went really slow.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Well its been a loooong time since I've bumped this thread, and that's because its been a loooong time since I've done anything remotely substantive with my devoted Super Duper - or had too Very Happy

This ride has been a ball of rolling fun for the whole summer. We've been doing the cruises, and some of this...

and a little of this...

But the highlight of the summer was driving an an hour or so to make to a show on the lake...

...before bombing along the highway for another couple of hours further to do a little bit of this -

You have to love the superior trunk capacity of the Super Beetle!!!

Running back at the end of the weekend for a three hour plus non-stop bootlegger run at 70 mph on the freeway with no radio and the pop-outs popped was an absolute ball. What a great way to end the summer! Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Well... there was one repair needed.

We were out getting ice cream one fine summer evening when my throttle cable broke at the pedal while sitting at a stop light. The light turned green to go... and we couldn't! How embarrassing Embarassed

So with traffic honking at us, I folded up some scrap paper (probably from a show flyer or something) and jammed it into the throttle at one of the carburetors like so -

With a high idle I was able to nurse it along with the hazards going and we made it home. Rolling Eyes

I will spare you pictures of a throttle cable installation.

So that was a mid-summer hiccup but it is an ancient beetle after all.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Then I had submitted to the idea of a winter overlay under the huge tarp tent that my neighbors have all been gossiping to you about behind my back. Laughing

My Super Duper is missing the Bakelite Heater tubes that run into the body under the rear seat. I got some and they are in my basement. It takes a miracle or a pan separation to install them into the bug so I have lived with the California block off plates that probably went on when my bug was still in California.

AND THEN - I stumbled on this absolutely life changing, awesome thread in the Vanagon area about really inexpensive knock-offs of the gas heaters that normally cost more than my whole bug! I will link you to it here so you can debate and comment about the wholesome goodness or the life endangering recklessness of these heaters over there in that thread (not in my build thread please! Its messy enough over here already) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569 All my info about where I got this thing, etc. is posted there.

I decided to try the diesel air heater and here's how it goes...

First, inspired from some other thread somewhere on the Samba, I went to Lowes or Home Depot and got some one-and-a-quarter inch pool hose to connect my heater channels to my defrost ports on the left and right side of my dash.

I used a bit of the hose and clamped it to my wife's vacuum (shhhhh) to clean out the mysteries from the dark place down in the corner of the trunk area. I used a pick to tear off the remainder of the paper hoses and free the wooden necklace beads and other weirdness that was blocking the heater channels, etc.

Then I wrapped some Gorilla Tape around the end of a tube to act as a stopper/gasket and worked it down into the darkness and into the top of the heater channel.

Here it is almost seated into the heater channel before the final push to snug it together.

That works.

Then I installed the knock-off diesel heater under the rear seat on the passenger side and plugged it into the heater channels where the y-pipes would have been coming from the Bakelite tubes (which are in my basement rather than my Super). I will simply drop a randomly organized pictograph explanation without a bunch of words as this is totally a DIY proposition on this nonsense right here. I got a little half-liter minibike gas tank and mounted that, along with a filter and the little diesel pump, next to the brake reservoir under the hood.

And here is the controller zip tied to one of the many holes in my dash, with fashionable masking tape blocking much of the cold air that comes through my un-gasketed front trunk area.

This works great!!! Say what you will amongst yourselves but with a heated cabin, I was able to get some Christmas shopping done in style!!!

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
my throttle cable broke at the pedal while sitting at a stop light.

1. I carry a spare accelerator cable and barrel nut (and grease) in the trunk of both my VWs. I've not had one break while I was driving, but the one in my 1971 broke once while girlfriend was borrowing it in 1980, and once when Mrs. Cusser was driving it. My 1970 VW is still running its factory accelerator cable, over 260K miles !!!

Be sure that the cable is inserted into the accelerator pedal the correct way, some online sites are incorrect, and incorrect places a lot of strain on the front.
This is correct (I know, poor photo); inserting from the other side is wrong !

2. I also carry a spare clutch cable and wing nut (and grease) in the trunk of both my VWs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
my throttle cable broke at the pedal while sitting at a stop light.

1. I carry a spare accelerator cable and barrel nut (and grease) in the trunk of both my VWs. I've not had one break while I was driving, but the one in my 1971 broke once while girlfriend was borrowing it in 1980, and once when Mrs. Cusser was driving it. My 1970 VW is still running its factory accelerator cable, over 260K miles !!!

Be sure that the cable is inserted into the accelerator pedal the correct way, some online sites are incorrect, and incorrect places a lot of strain on the front.
This is correct (I know, poor photo); inserting from the other side is wrong !

2. I also carry a spare clutch cable and wing nut (and grease) in the trunk of both my VWs.

And I carry an umbrella to be sure it does not rain! Works every time. Smile Thanks for saying Hi Cusser.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

So I have been learning the hammer and dolly to straighten our the many many areas of this rebuilt salvage that need it.

A long way back in this thread I stripped off a bunch of bondo, from many many panels, fenders etc. as part of bare-metalling this car. The really good news was that there was no rust! Very Happy

What I discovered, however, was that there were lots of PO half-hearted hammering beatings that my metal bug had suffered in its long-now-passed re-birth into titled-license living after what must have been a horrendous wreck. Whoever did the work was good at finishing filler because the car looked smooth. The underlying metal work, however, looked as if someone had beaten the metal into a very rough semblance of shape with a carpenter's claw hammer.

Here are some before, during and after sequences of some areas I have been working. These are all metal worked areas for now, no filler yet. At some point, filler will be needed but my goal is to minimize that to the extend possible. Each sequence starts with beat-out metal as found under the bondo, and then the stages of progression of my working the hammer and dolly process, finished with a coat of self etching primer for the time being.

I didn't take a lot of pictures but these should share the idea.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

This rebuilt salvage companion of mine had a front clip grafted on at some point, as well as untold other donor parts bolted to it in order to get it back in action as a producing member of society. The resulting match up of the front body lines has been rudimentary.

I was thinking I'd have a satin black rally hood, not only because I think that look is bad-ass, but also because it would not showcase the mismatched body lines upfront.

I may still do that, but if I do I want it to be because I want to, not because I have to.

So I have set out to get it as straight as I can and see how it turns out. The hood that came with the car was a very thin-skinned re-pop that has been reformed a number of times. So not a great map of original lines to go by. During the period of my caretaking this keepsake, I have gone through three hoods until settling on this one I have now - a rust free and fairly straight OG that should give me some idea of where the body lines should be. It has been bare-metaled and etch primed, but not prepared properly for paint yet as there is work to be done.

Here are some postcards from my weekend effort to massage out the sides of the body to the proper width, and to massage the curvature of the hood to the lines of the body. Round and round we went, until in the end things were matching up pretty good imho, given what it is.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Nice results are you familiar with first in first out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 45

Jump to: