Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

So I degreased the case in the basement, cleaned the head studs in the kitchen sink and now it's all drying by the wood stove while my wife sits here crocheting and watching the t.v. She does love me!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

My answer to your statement in the "engine removal adventure" thread.
This works for installing wrist pins too, on a cold day.

"
Buggeee wrote:
A dry Monday is enough for Monday. Wink . That's a cool feeler gauge end play tool. My biggest challenge in removing pistons is making sure I don't scratch the inside of the rod bearing with my brass drift. There has to be a better way. I'll stay tuned to see what your research reveals and I'll probably learn something.

Heat!
Use a propane torch and heat the piston around the wrist pin area a little.
The piston will expand at a greater rate than the pin.
You should be able to push the pins out with light pressure when the pistons are slightly heated.

I have a set of JE forged that are difficult to remove the wrist pin from, when cold. Heat them them and the pins slide right out. No special tools needed. Cool "

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I saw it Avenger! Thank you for the good information to up my game Very Happy. The next time I disassemble pistons I'll be reaching for the torch before reaching for the drift.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Don't forget install too! Very Happy

Your welcome!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Those case halves look so cozy next to the fire. Your pets might get jealous.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I know some people who bolt the case together and put it in the oven.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Plodding along after the degreasing and drying, with some light wire brushing, compressed air cleaning and using Rustoleum self-etch primer and Rustoleum satin black (regular, not high temp, in the Ultra 2X, which is primer and paint and extra pigments - I love it for tins too, it covers awesome)

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I know some people who bolt the case together and put it in the oven.

Hey, I resemble that remark.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I picked a couple of old heads out of the stash and checked to make sure that there was no cracks between the spark plug holes and the valves. In these pictures I have lapped the cylinder jugs to the heads but not lapped the valves yet.

It's far to cold out to run the pressure washer so...

I spent a couple of hours cleaning them with degreeser and hot water and little wire brushes and little brass brushes and little nylon brushes and engine brushes and little picks and little dull screwdrivers and when it's all said and done I think they are about as clean as they are going to get that way.

But they had a noticeable amount of yellowish oxidation on the aluminum in certain areas. That in my mind looked like a little insulating blanket and I wanted to get that off. It was thick really.

So forgive me but I have sinned. Please don't do this its dumb. But still I'm doing it.

Tonight I taped up all the orifices in the heads with gorrila tape and then lightly worked some of the exterior areas in the sand blasting cabinet.

I was really light and brief and careful because I know I can't blast any part of the interior surface of the engine where the grit gets caught in the soft material and gets released when the engine is hot... but I think I did alright because I dusted it just very lightly on certain outside areas, with old spark plugs in place and holes taped off, and then vacuumed and then compressed air, and they turned out reasonably clean without being greedy about it.

...and now I'm hurrying up and trying to wash them one more time with hot soapy water in the sink before my wife gets home!

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Man you crack me up Buggee. Nice work too!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Timing the use of the kitchen around the wife's schedule is an essential skill slowly acquired over time. Just remember that her nose is 20 times more better than yours. You need to have an explanation ready for the "oily smell" that you won't notice.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I have found a process that I enjoy less than a headliner. Building the doors! It's like working one of those little wood block puzzles where only one space is missing and you have to slide all the little blocks around, and then slide them back fourteen times to try different maneuvers until you finally stumble on the correct order of things. At least that was my experience. Confused

Most importantly, I learned that the little clips that hold all this stuff together, like for example the little clips built into the inner window scrapers, are not designed to come out once they go in. I destroyed some things during some do-overs here, and thankfully my inner window scrapers were in good shape so I re-used those after killing the new ones I bought.

So to start things off, I just followed some Chris Vallone videos I found on YouTube. If I had stuck to his order of things I'd have been fine. I have resisted putting a screen up in the barn to watch videos on so doing it from memory I was at a disadvantage. Laughing

This window regulator has to go in before the vent windows.

I put the vent window in first - and then found the regulator blocked by the spot where the vent window bolts to the inner door. Its got to get above that spot.

As the vent windows went in after the chrome trim with the rubber scrapers were already installed (its own fiasco), I opted to just pull hard on the inner door, distorting it enough to push and squeeze the regulator through the obstacle. Here is a picture of the regulator stuck at the mid-point, peeking at me through the hole in the door while I enjoyed a couple swear words and sucked on the finger I got stuck in there for a moment.

It worked though, eventually popping above the obstacle and all was good again. Of course, I marked that point in my mind as a never-to-be forgotten lesson. I then, of course, promptly forgot the lesson and put the scrapers and vent window in the other door before reaching for the regulator. Brick wall

Before or after the regulator, but definitely after the door latch mechanism, a channel for the felt channel goes in the rear side of the door. A couple of these felt clips are put in it before it goes in the door.

Then, using a little S-shaped clip it pushes up and clips into a slot on the door, then the bottom bolts to the door.

Then the chrome strip with outer scraper pops in the side of the door with these built-in spring clips

And then the clips are added around the outside to hold the chrome in place and provide something to grab the felt channel that gets pushed into it

At the front on the bottom there is a little tab that bends around the door metal to kind of hold it in place until the vent window installs (don't mind the splatter from the polishing compound, it wipes off).

These are the clips for the chrome strip and felt channel. I was missing a couple and broke a couple. The one on the left is broken, and worthless. The one on the right is still good.

Because I did not have enough clips for the second door, I used an adhesive that holds a fiberglass rope seal onto clothes-dryer doors. Its like a fast setting, strong rubber cement from what I can tell, and it is handy for lots of things. Including, in my barn, installing window trim. To be fair to myself, Chris Vallone said the early bugs have little screws for the chrome strip and glue for the felt.

I found some tools to jam in there with c-clamps for a few minutes until it set. the next day a bag of clips arrived in the mail. Shocked Ready for next time I guess. Very Happy

I glued the new felt channel to the vent windows and dropped them in at an angle, rotating up into position and watching the chrome strip ends to help them find home while the vent window went into position.

You can see in this picture that the inner door scraper interferes with the insertion of the vent window so, having learned this, I will forget to do the inner door scraper after the vent window next time as well, I predict.

A single screw at the top holds them in the frame and a single bolt at the bottom holds them to the inner door (after the regulator is in!). You will notice the second picture I am pulling felt channel out of the way to install the forgotten screw. This bends the clip a bit so there is a price to pay every time you back-track in this door-building task.

The long felt channel is the easiest part. I kind of bent it to roughly fit the destination.

The shoved it down into the door.

Then pressed it into the channel starting at the top-front by the vent window and then along towards the rear, then up into the corner, then down the back.

On the passenger side I put a bead of adhesive first, as that side did not have clips.

The glass is the easiest part. I just bent the regulator back enough to slide the glass up into the door, slid it up into the felt channels front and back, and bolted it to the mechanism.

And now the doors not only open and close, lock and unlock, but the windows go up and down as well! Dancing

Turned out nice. Thanks for the follow through and pictures. These cars seem to have alot going on ,even on the simplest things.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:

Turned out nice. Thanks for the follow through and pictures. These cars seem to have alot going on ,even on the simplest things.

They are easier to take apart than put back together. Then with the aftermarket parts you have to bend things the right way in order to get them to fit.

Buggeee is doing a bang up job.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Nice photography of details throughout your rebuild. You certainly keep a cleaner garage than I do.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

You all with your kind words are keeping me motivated!

I've drilled tapped and plugged the oil galleys and fitted the case for a full flow oil filter arrangement. Because I haven't found it listed, here is the list of tools and parts I used:

Drill America - POU3/8NPTW/DRILL 3/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 37/64" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

Drill America - POU1/8NPTW/DRILL 1/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and R High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

Drill America - POU1/4NPTW/DRILL 1/4" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 7/16" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series

QLOUNI 25Pcs Brass Pipe Plugs Set, NPT Plug 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" Brass Pipe Fitting Internal Hex Thread Socket Pipe Plug Assortment Kit

Plus.... this particular style of 3/8 Male to 3/8 female 90 degree elbow, which can just barely spin into place with some grinding to the case and the fitting.:

The basic process involved, in addition to drilling and tapping.... getting a feel for the drill bit so it wouldn't claw it's way right through the soft case, and for me that meant high rpms and very light bumping of the bit into the hole over time bump bump bump... as well as lots of eyeballing the depth of the threads and trial fitting of the plugs, little by little, to establish a a depth that would not block an oil gally and that would allow the elbow fitting to rotate into the correct orientation when fully seated.

I used a light brush of Curil-T on the threads because that sealant is so forgiving.

Also, I first tried the aluminum plugs but almost got one stripped and stuck when trial fitting so opted for the slightly harder brass instead.

And here's some pictures:

Not to worry about the bottom plug in the last picture, it is a shallow plug compared to the aluminum plug I originally tapped it for so does not block the galley, but it would still not have been tapped that deep if I had started with the brass because it looks bad.

p.s. the work was done before the case was cleaned and painted.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Short Block Baby!!!!! Things are starting to get real again for this Super Duper. Very Happy

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I got the jugs on over coffee this morning to start my day off the right way.

Oh, by the way, meet Milie the Mouser. We adopted her from the pound, having been imprisoned as a stray.

Within a week of roaming she came home with a wound like Marcel, but not nearly as serious, so I want to keep her territory confined to the yard and barn. For now I'm keeping her in the barn and getting her used to the harness and leash. That way I can train her for the electric fence collar that will keep her on the property, like the dogs. Let my neighbors take care of their own mice.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Welcome, Millie! She's gorgeous
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I hate those meeces to pieces !!!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buggeee's 1972 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Fantastic build looks like it’s all coming together😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 45

Jump to: