Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dan's '65 Dormobile project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I’m a little over 10 years late starting this thread but have been motivated to post up after reading Matt Jackson's thread on bringing “Helga” back to life.

In 2006 after two years +/- of being bus-less a friend of mine in the midwest sold me a solid '65 standard microbus shell that had been in his barn for years. Given todays crazy prices I think this was the last "cheap" bus I will ever buy.

This is what the bus looked like the first time I saw it. I don't remember what kind of fiberglass camper top was on the roof, could have been Bay window or Chevy, but it was big.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like I said, it was a shell. Had a few nice door panels, no rear seats, no engine, no bumpers, partial front seats etc.

Soon enough I had it loaded on the trailer and was headed for home. I remember the neighbor asking me why I drove 500 miles to pick "That thing" up and bring it home. I told him to restore it and drive it. He said "But why?" Some people just don't understand.

Aside from the hideous color (IMHO) and the missing parts this was solid start to a great project. Yes, there was surface rust in the drip rails and some rust through in the front floor (but not the A-pillar), cargo floor, and p-side rocker, but otherwise this was a very sold bus. There was shiny Velvet Green paint an NO RUST in all four wheel wells!

At this point I should say that all of my previous busses have been stockers except for the running gear. I know there are different schools of thought, and to each their own, but my thought has always been if you have something original, especially if it is a rare model, keep it original. That being said I now owned a Peacock-shit green bus with a ton of missing parts so I felt no such constraint. I was going to lower it, run Fuchs, and paint it some bright but non-Peacock-shit color.

Here is where I should say building a camper, any kind of camper, was the LAST thing on my list. I have NEVER wanted a camper, never ever, zero desire, actually avoided them.

Campers were good for two things:
1) Parts.
2) Flipping.

...until this happened.

While out driving around in the countryside for work I came across this field find Dormobile. As luck would have it, the field Dormobile was also a '65! Initially I wanted it for the bumpers, engine, and the miscellaneous parts that I needed for my bus but after dragging it home I popped open the top so that I could clean all of the junk out and... HOLY SHIT!! It was like a cathedral in there. With apologies to all Westy owners, size matters. The reason I previously had zero desire to own a camper is that the little Westy pop top with it's tiny interior dimensions is barely big enough to give you enough room to stand up and change your pants. The opening for the Dormobile top on the other hand is wider and longer the opening for a deluxe sunroof and the the top is around 8' at the peak! It's huge!

Turns out the donor Dormobile was actually a 21 window that had been hacked right through all the skylight windows on both sides to add the Dormy top. Sad It had also been sitting for hears with missing vent hatch in the roof so the floors and and frame rails were swiss cheese. No title, lots of rust, hacked roof and bulk head = parts bus. ...at least at the time. If you want to read more about it see this thread. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246621&highlight=

After dragging the green bus home my older son and I start cleaning it up to evaluate what we have.

Amazing the difference some wax and a couple cans of Krylon will make.

...to be continued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Oooo! To be continued? Can't wait to see what happens next!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Unless you have a ton of money to throw at a project, which I don't, I always advise that your first step should be to get your project running and driving so that you can enjoy it. First on the list was a complete rebuild of the brake system: New Shoes, new wheel cylinders, new lines, turned or replaced rums, and a new master cylinder. Cleaned out the mud robber nests while I was at it.

Before:

After:

When I bought the Field Dormobile it came with an engine that the owner claimed had been rebuilt a few hundred miles before parking the bus. The engine looked pretty crusty but turned over. Definitions of "rebuilt" vary and as you can tell from the lichens growing on the bus it sat for a long time before I found it so I was skeptical. After rebuilding the carb, and replacing the plug wires it ran like a champ!

Before:

After I painted the case, tin, putting on the alternator, etc.

Next order of business to replace the rusted metal. For this I turned to a local friend Will Foitik who I can't say enough good things about. Extremely talented guy who has a passion for VW's.

Front Floor:

Cargo and Rocker:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I should mention that I also replaced the e-brake cable, throttle cable, clutch cable, all the tie rod ends, drag link, steering dampener, rebushed the center pin, and added a '66-'67 front sway bar. Reliable and safe. Cool
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Ok, you got my attention. Staying tuned...
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Right on! I think I saw Matt posted your bus picture on his Instagram and it got painted... yours?
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
The opening for the Dormobile top on the other hand is wider and longer the opening for a deluxe sunroof and the the top is around 8' at the peak! It's YUGE! Shocked

I've always said that!!! So, I take it you will be installing the Dormobil roof on the greenie? If you are, check out my gallery here and hit me up with any questions you may have about the process. Cool
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Nice. Love Dormy hacking!
Popcorn
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I've always said that!!! So, I take it you will be installing the Dormobil roof on the greenie? If you are, check out my gallery here and hit me up with any questions you may have about the process. Cool

Birdmanhere wrote:
Nice. Love Dormy hacking! Popcorn

The roof has already been cut in and the bus painted. I did refer to the Samba posts and pictures during the process so I wanted to say "THANK YOU!!" to those of you who have posted your project threads and Dormobile pictures.

Those of you following his thread know that Matt has been working on Helga at a pretty good pace. I was like that initially with this bus but slowed down for a few years, okay several years, while collecting parts and cash to finish it. I'm always amazed at the people who find a rough and rusty bus, replace 80% of the sheet metal, rebuild the engine and interior, and have it painted and winning shows in three months. My last bus, a Binz crew cab, took me about 5 years to finish. With this bus I'm past the 10 year mark. This thread is to document what I have done but also to say "It's okay to take your time. It's a hobby not a race." That being said hopefully it will motivate some people to get moving as well!

More history to cover but here is a teaser of where she is at now.

Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Hi Dan from Austin, I'm Eric from Austin.
Sweet bus!

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
My last bus, a Binz crew cab, took me about 5 years to finish. Cool

Finish????? Shocked

A bus is NEVER finished! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
A bus is NEVER finished! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So very, very, VERY, true!!
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Since I am now fully committed to the Dormobile route vs. the lowered cruiser I have to totally rethink my drivetrain. If I'm going to have a camper I'm going to camp. If I'm going to camp I'm going to be hitting the trails at some point which is not conducive to lowering. (Again, to each their own but I do not understand the desire for lowered campers. The last place I want to camp is in a parking lot.) So my thought is I want stock height or higher. For several months I toyed around with the idea of somehow lifting the bus while maintaining reliability. the front end is a piece of cake, all you have to do is modify the spindles but the back end is another story, Raise it much and you get weird wheel tuck and put the CVs at a pretty extreme angle which will cause them to wear faster. My friend Scott Hall was building a Monster lifted bus at the time and figured a lot of it out with Porsche 930 (I think) CV joints etc. but in the end it was to extreme for what I wanted to do so I ended up dropping the idea for the most part.

What I ended up with was bigger wheels and tires. The '65 came stock with 14" rims and I found somebody locally with a set of 15" that I traded for. I put a set of 215/75 R 15's Geolanders on it and I am very happy. I have no clearance issues, it doesn't look like a monster truck but I have and extra inch or so of clearance. I prefer the look of raised white letter tires, YMMV.

Somewhere I have a picture of my bus next to a twin '65 where you can see the difference in height between the two. When I find it I will post it. Zozo? You reading this? It was next to your bus at one of the "Big Picture" events.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

tires look good! you won't have clearance issues a stock height bus can get over a lot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Found the picture! Both of these are 1965 Velvet Green Standard Microbuses built Just a few weeks apart. Both busses are running a stock suspension. The one on the left is running the stock 14 inch rims. My bus on the right is running 15 inch rims with oversized tires. I think this picture best illustrates the height gain from my wheel tire combination.

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

You bringing it to the freeze and shine?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:

That picture is classic! The bus on the right looks like a kid standing on his tip-toes to look bigger than his friend.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
When is that? It is just a shell sitting in my garage right now. I have some rewiring to do and a few more things to do to the engine before it gets reinstalled and she's a runner.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
zozo wrote:
When is that? It is just a shell sitting in my garage right now. I have some rewiring to do and a few more things to do to the engine before it gets reinstalled and she's a runner.

In a couple weeks, I think.
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
In a couple weeks, I think.

I seriously doubt it then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: