Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dan's '65 Dormobile project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Any updates?
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Any updates?

A combination of ordering parts and traveling has kept me out of the garage. I'll post up again in a couple weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Make it to The Classic?
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Make it to The Classic?

Yes, but not in the Dormobile. I loaded up the Element and hit the swap. Good turnout of busses. I will be there next year in mine.

Made some progress on getting the Dormobile back together. Much of the dash has been put back together and I am running new wires and cables for the stereo before putting the interior back in. Hiccups on the interior are I will have to remake my headbanger cabinet because the Dormobile opening is so big...that and figure out the headliner. I would like to go with an all wood headliner but the clips for the vinyl headliner up from make that difficult over the front seat. At the same time running vinyl in the back is difficult because of the huge hole for the Dorm top. I'll probably end up with vinyl in the front and wood in the back - a headliner mullet.

On the engine (still out of the bus) the oil cooler seals have been replaced, heads retorqued, new Sync-link carburetor linkage installed, stainless steel muffler installed, and the new tins (below) put on. I still need to replace the fuel line. I would like to run metal inside the engine compartment but am having problems locating the proper fittings.

Last night I put new axle boots and rear mounts on the trans. There are a few wiring issues I need to straighten out before the engine is ready to go back in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

PROGRESS!!

Many thanks to Matt and Greg for coming over and helping out today.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

You are welcome. Your bus is a beautiful one to help put back together.
Tell me if you need any help with the woodworking.

Greg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

glad to see you guys got the motor in after I left!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I'll get back at it when it cools down a bit.
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
I'll get back at it when it cools down a bit.

Okay, so it finally cooled down.

With the VW Harvest quickly approaching I was motivated to get off my butt and get the bus running and driving again. My oldest son Matt came over one weekend and we spent a Sunday afternoon putting on door panels, door handles, dash components, seats, lights, top struts, and so on. It was great to get to spend time with both my son and my bus.

With all that complete the bus was ready to be started up for the first time since reassembly...both because I wanted to start driving it and because with the engine, interior, and top installed its was too heavy to push in and out of the garage by myself anymore! I knew the carbs were not synch well when I pulled the engine and since I had messed up some of the settings while installing the synch-link carburetor linkage I wanted someone on hand who knew how to adjust them when I started the engine back up the first time. I asked Jason Vogen to come over and help out and he generously agreed.

The bus Runs better than it ever has since putting the new engine in several years ago. I *really* need to learn how to adjust carbs myself. Been avoid int but I can't put it off only longer.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I saw you in the bus as you were leaving the Harvest Show. Sorry we didn't get to talk.
Great to see you and the bus on the road!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

jason is a good guy, he's helped me before pull my motor. You bus is looking good!
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Got a little more done this weekend. Reinstalled the canopy brackets. I cut an old bicycle inner tube to make a gasket. Need to get a razor blade and trim the edges that squished out to clean it up a bit.

ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

My goal for the weekend was to get the vinyl/canvas installed in the top. I ordered the new material from Dormobile and have all of the original trim pieces from the donor bus. I went to the shed early Friday morning to get all the trim pieces out, mind you it’s been 12 years since I took them off and it’s not like I spend a lot of time with them since so I had really forgotten the condition so I discovered they really needed to be cleaned up before I install the canvas given that the previous owner had used construction adhesive or something to attempt to waterproof the top…or at least I’m assuming that’s why the gunk was there. Anyway no top install this weekend as I spent all my time cleaning up the trim pieces. Judging by the direction of the bend and the legs of the U channel the top had been sealed with adhesive and the bottom had been painted so all the pieces needed a lot of elbow grease. This stuff is super soft aluminum so it takes a lot of care not to bend it. Definitely nothing I could take to the bench grinder/buffer to clean up. All eight pieces were done by hand. I finished up the last piece this evening, you can see the results below although the pictures don’t really show much.

Before - 8 pieces of trim

Construction adhesive

Corrosion

After - not polished but way better
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I need to replace my vinyl soon too! Sad

How much $$$ was it and where exactly did you get it? Confused
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

http://www.dormobile.co.uk/

Don’t recall the exact price but in the neighborhood of $500. Shipping is a major consideration. Make sure you order everything you need the first time.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Don’t recall the exact price but in the neighborhood of $500. Shipping is a major consideration. Make sure you order everything you need the first time.

Thanks! I think I got my stuff from JustKampers in the UK too way back then but my vinyl wasn't as bad as it is now. Neutral
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

i would be getting the darkest tint or the most reflective tint installed possible. It gets warm in a dormy.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i would be getting the darkest tint or the most reflective tint installed possible. It gets warm in a dormy.
i have curtains planned, may tint as well.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

Me and a friend of mine ordered two tops from dormobile UK about three years ago, we both installed them, what a pain. I sold mine shortly after, but my buddy still has his. His seams split in less than a year from install. I emailed dormobile about it and they sent me some rubber cement.. my buddy is not happy at all wiith the quality or the response from dormobile.

Best of luck and I hope you do not have any problems with your new top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: