Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seattle Folks-Orcas Island?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

One of my daughters is going on a trip with her Girl Scout troop to Orcas Island for the week of July 4th. The troop invited My wife, my other daughter and I to tag along; however, the place they're staying, West Beach Resort, is pretty booked up.

I'd like to fly into Seattle, rent a Westy from Peace Vans for the week, and camp nearby. The resort has RV camping, but they haven't told me yet whether or not they have availablity for what is obviously a very busy week.

I'd prefer to take my van out there but the timing and distance won't work out. Any ideas, suggestions, tips, and/or locations you can recommend with regard to Orcas Island?

While I feel like I'll be cheating on my beloved van, I would like to rent a '91 automatic full Westy to see how the other half lives. Peace Vans gives a 10% discount to Vanagon owners. They said it's because orientation is so much easier. Very Happy

I appreciate any guidance you can provide. I'm trying to get this trip all planned and figured out so I can get back to preparations for our Baja trip at the end of March. (First world problems, I know.)

Thanks!

Oh--I did find one beautiful picture during a quick Google search for "Orcas Island Vanagon."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

I've been to Orcas several times for dinners, we normally stay on Friday Harbor. Rent a couple bikes for you and the Mrs.

Check out a orcas Whale watch tour
Bike the island
The Fishing is great
Ferry over to Victoria (bring passport)
Island hop
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

It's beautiful and not to be missed! We are in Victoria, but I can see San Juan Island from my desk here at home. It's truly a relaxing West Coast experience. If you can do it, don't miss it. Rent the van and take the ferry --
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Just moved off Orcas Island after 15 years. Moran State Park (in the Vanagon picture you posted) is the best place; here is the link for reservations:

http://moranstatepark.com/campgrounds/

Be advised, 4th of July is the absolute worst time to travel to teh islands from a logistics standpoint; long ferry wait times

(BTW, you will need ferry reservations as well; https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Reservations/Vehicle/default.aspx

Most reservations are probably already filled up for campsites.

You may also want to contact the local YMCA Camp Orkila; http://www.seattleymca.org/camps/orkila

they will be booked, of course, but they are very community oriented and may be able to help you given the Girl Scouts affiliation.

Be sure to make time for the downtown fireworks show and parade (generally on separate days) not to be missed:

https://www.visitsanjuans.com/events/orcas-island-4th-july-fireworks-celebration

Best of luck!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions, much appreciated!

I spoke with the resort and we were able to get the last drive-up campsite, so we're set there. Just have to rent a Vanagon and buy some flights.

Thanks for the tip on the ferry reservations! I'll get on that too.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Just gotta do Baja, Moab, and Rocky Mtn. first. Cool

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Oh--I did find one beautiful picture during a quick Google search for "Orcas Island Vanagon."

joetiger wrote:
While I feel like I'll be cheating on my beloved van, I would like to rent a '91 automatic full Westy to see how the other half lives.

Doe Bay resort is certainly Vanagon-friendly. Tatanka's gonna be pissed.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Traffic in Seattle can be "festive" so as a general rule you'd want to be headed North out of Seattle around 2:00pm on a working day. Once you get towards 3:00 or 4:00 you'll slow down and at 5:00 you get a chance to fully test your patience. Orcas is a beautiful Island, glad you were able find a spot.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Ive heard of folks waiting 7 hours to get on that ferry in the summer. If theres a way to get a ferry reservation don't skip that detail.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Not from Seattle, but we loved Orcas Island, even in crowded July!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Getting on the islands isn't usually the problem. I've had to wait up to 8 hours to get off of Lopez

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the great info. It looks like ferry reservations can only be placed two months in advance, so I have a reminder set for early May.

I'm going back and forth over driving my van out there or flying in and renting a van. I have no problem driving, but time is the more valuable commodity for this trip.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

I recommend renting: PeaceVans is a good outfit to rent from and you'll have more time to relax in the PNW.

Here are some pics of last night's view from the top of Guemes Island (a few miles east of Orcas which has similar views from the top of Mt. Constitution):

The sunset with Orcas Island to the right (the Vanagon is parked in the foreground Very Happy)...

Turn around to see alpenglow on Mt. Baker...

Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Camp's reserved, flights are booked, Vanagon is rented.

http://www.peacevansrentals.com/pilchuck

We are very much looking forward to the trip!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Camp's reserved, flights are booked, Vanagon is rented.

http://www.peacevansrentals.com/pilchuck

We are very much looking forward to the trip!

Sorry I did not see this earlier -
My wife and I attended a friend's wedding several years back on Orcas - really fun trip. We flew into Seattle, spent the night in a cheap hotel downtown and did a little tourism including visiting Fisherman's Wharf before heading up to Anacortes ferry departure. After the wedding we spent another day on Friday Harbor - nice walking hiking lots of places. Glad you managed the last spot! Our trip to the Wharf and likely a grocery store someplace too led to a really nice picnic lunch on the ferry.

thanks for posting the link to Peacevansrentals - is there a sticky or list someplace of similar vanagon renters?

thanks,
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Well, we're all set for this trip, flying out Saturday morning and spending a week. Peace Vans has been great to work with. We booked a whale watching trip, rented some sea kayaks for one of the days, and also set up a zip lining tour on San Juan Island. Ferry reservations are set as well.

Very much looking forward to it, although part of me still wishes we were taking my van. She deserves a break after two 4000 mile trips in the past year, though. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and tall tales to share when we get back.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Hey, I'll be on Orcas around the 7th for a few days. PM me if you wanna swap cell phones..
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Looking like my wife and I are headed to Orcas or San Juan this afternoon or early am tomorrow through Sunday. Nice sunny weekend. Any regulars that know if will be long waits on ferries or what a good time to avoid them would be. We have no set plans for camping just hoping all comes together!

suggestions?

Thank you
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Have you made ferry reservations? I ask because we're currently planning a trip to Lopez and Orcas in August, and it's a bit nerve-wracking to plan out the logistics with all the moving pieces and necessity to make reservations for every leg and location of the trip. One slip up and the whole house of cards collapses.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Have you made ferry reservations? I ask because we're currently planning a trip to Lopez and Orcas in August, and it's a bit nerve-wracking to plan out the logistics with all the moving pieces and necessity to make reservations for every leg and location of the trip. One slip up and the whole house of cards collapses.

True...The big wild card for us is the ferry. I have reservations and (I hope) plenty of time to get there, but I hate having it be out of my control...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle Folks-Orcas Island? Reply with quote

No reservations for us at this point. Things have just been way too busy for us to be able to plan anything that requires a reservation. Hoping to just wing it and if it fails have a backup plan. Have family on Orcas for years waiting to hear her thoughts.

I should know as I work for WSF but rarely in the islands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: