Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone using LED headlights?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

[quote="OB Rat"]
baltik wrote:
OT what bumpers are these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Custom (aka; homemade). Unfortunately I do not know who did the work as they came from the previous owner. Same guy built the roof rack.

i see on your rear bumper what appears to be a quick connect valve and a switch. onboard air perhaps? really curious to see your set up!!
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

Pretty sure that is a south african bumper, Gowesty sells one i'm pretty sure its like 400-800$ depending what all you need to go with it

[quote="inorganic"]
OB Rat wrote:
baltik wrote:
OT what bumpers are these?

Custom (aka; homemade). Unfortunately I do not know who did the work as they came from the previous owner. Same guy built the roof rack.

i see on your rear bumper what appears to be a quick connect valve and a switch. onboard air perhaps? really curious to see your set up!!
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Installed SuiTech RGB Color LED Headlights Reply with quote

Like Skidub I went with SUITECH 7" but I got the newer version that has RGB color options with a Bluetooth controller and app

These on Amazon $122.80 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727ZNSSF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They came with everything I needed to hook up to the GoWesty South African Grill kit connectors. I bought the SA Grill kit with no exterior lights but did buy the exterior light brackets separately. I am using the smaller interior incandescent lights from the GoWesty kit, they go on with high beams and the LEDs brighten up as well.

The Suitech kit comes with wire and connectors to hook up DRL power to the halo rings (any color you like) plus wire to hook the halos into your turn signals so they swap to amber on turn. I chose to use better wire and connectors but otherwise the kit is complete and includes what I believe they used to sell separately as an anti-flicker unit.

There is quite a bit of volume of adapters, wire, the bluetooth controller, etc. but it does all fit it you take your time.

I hooked the turn signal halos with a piggy back connector just as Skidub described by threading a wire through the turn signal boot and then connecting to tab with a piggy back.

For DRLs I plugged into G5 on the back of the fuse panel.

The RGB color is pretty cool, the kids love it. You can program different patterns and save them with shortcuts so you can set to all sorts of flash or gradient fade through a few colors.

I've tested it all out and it works, final test and headlight adjustment after dark. I will try to post a video to show all the functions.

averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed SuiTech RGB Color LED Headlights Reply with quote

Videos, on dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma8hnwlstdnu9lf/IMG_2591.m4v?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqsy9jtjahysrj4/IMG_2593.TRIM.m4v?dl=0

averyo wrote:
Like Skidub I went with SUITECH 7" but I got the newer version that has RGB color options with a Bluetooth controller and app

These on Amazon $122.80 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727ZNSSF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

Necro posting I know, but didn't see mention of this in any of the other LED posts and felt this was an appropriate place for this question (actually 2 questions).

Question 1: It seems most of the LED replacement units use polycarbonate or similar materials for the lens, vs. glass which the originals had (I have an '82 with the original round sealed glass housings). Has anyone had issues with the plastic lenses yellowing/fogging over time? It's about the only concern keeping me from pulling the trigger on LEDs vs upgrading to HIDs.

Question 2: Anybody had any experience with these units? I like that they're chrome and they have glass housings, but at $71/pair they're almost in too-good-to-be-true range. Confused

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4GG6L2/?coliid=I1W3Q..._lig_dp_it
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

torbot wrote:
Question 2: Anybody had any experience with these units? I like that they're chrome and they have glass housings, but at $71/pair they're almost in too-good-to-be-true range. Confused

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4GG6L2/?coliid=I1W3Q..._lig_dp_it

I bought a pair of housings like that year ago because I needed the clear glass fronts, and even with the H4 halogen bulb they're designed for, they're pretty terrible. With an LED or HID H4 "bulb" they're only going to be worse.

Thankfully, I was only trying them with H4 bulbs as a laugh before prying them open and using them for an HID projector retrofit using proper OEM D2S HID capsules and quality ballasts. For that use, they're excellent...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

I have had these on one van for ~a year. No perceptible difference in appearance (no yellowing or fogging) although it would be surprising if there was in a year. They are an amazing lighting upgrade. Much better than e-code H4's with relays and high wattage bulbs. They are so good that I got another set and installed them in my '79 Rabbit also. At <$100 for the set and plug and play install for the rounds, that is one of the best bang for buck upgrades I have ever done.

I have no personal experience with the linked housings.
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

I bought a pair of housings like that year ago because I needed the clear glass fronts, and even with the H4 halogen bulb they're designed for, they're pretty terrible. With an LED or HID H4 "bulb" they're only going to be worse.

Kinda what I was thinking for the price Smile

?Waldo? wrote:
I have had these on one van for ~a year. No perceptible difference in appearance (no yellowing or fogging) although it would be surprising if there was in a year. They are an amazing lighting upgrade. Much better than e-code H4's with relays and high wattage bulbs. They are so good that I got another set and installed them in my '79 Rabbit also. At <$100 for the set and plug and play install for the rounds, that is one of the best bang for buck upgrades I have ever done.

Thanks Waldo, I saw your post on one of the other threads here. Those look nice (esp. all the positive reviews), but can't find chrome versions. I'd like to retain at least a little of the original looks. But I suppose at around $100, even if they lasted a few years without fogging it'd be worth the upgrade. Appreciate the feedback.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

My 944 uses these rounds. I called Daniel Stern Lighting and asked what the best I could possibly put in there would be. Beam pattern, quality optics, high beam penetration, etc. The best. Answer was Koito H4s. He found me a set and I’ve been very pleased for more than a year now. Hard to find and not cheap. Would enjoy a side by side comparo some time.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

I’m using inner and outer led lights front Transporter Werks. I have the inner lights and halo wires into the turn signal.

Birdrocksweeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

xclemjustinx wrote:
I’m using inner and outer led lights front Transporter Werks. I have the inner lights and halo wires into the turn signal.

That looks good. Are the inners activated via high beam or separate switch? Any pics of how the inners are mounted since it isn’t using the normal inner lights? Looks like the provide some type of custom bracket for those?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

LOVE 'em...hugs & kisses! (XOXOXO)

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

On Waldo's recommendation, I got myself a set of the LED headlights. I am sure that I am missing something painfully obvious, but I don't see how to mount them. My H4 headlight has three tabs that screw in to the bucket, which the LED's do not have. What am I missing here? Embarassed

Some people call him Maurice...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

As far as I know, your current headlights are not stock Vanagon headlights. Vanagon headlights do not have those metal tabs on the perimeter and instead are held on by a chrome trim ring around the light. The trim ring screws to the bucket. You'll need to get a set of the stock Vanagon trim rings to mount the LED's.

Here's a set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/79-93-Vanagon-Gl-Westy-Ra...xyEIJTemP7
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

Many thanks!
Some people call him Maurice...
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

The chrome ring with the mounting tabs is not integral to the headlights you removed. Gently pry the rings off and put them on your new 7" LED's.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

I don't think this is apropos of this current issue, but factory 7" round E-code lights do not have a separate trim ring. They have integral tabs spot welded to the light housings. If these are the lights you currently have, then if the desire is to swap in LEDs or any other non-factory 7" round lights, you will need to source those NA spec trim rings.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the LED round grille kit from Van Cafe?
https://www.vancafe.com/VCLEDLIGHTGRILLKIT-p/vcledlightgrillkit.htm

I'm looking into changing out the stock square bulbs/grille on my '90 Westy with this kit. I have the relay and higher wattage bulbs now, and it is still not bright enough for me. I'm not wedded to the square look, and don't want to drop the money needed for the SA grille set-up, so this looks like a good option. I could always hit the junkyard for the grille and buckets I guess, but this looks like a much easier way to get to the same thing when you're lazy like I am. Laughing
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

I just upgraded.
I sourced LEDs from JWSpeaker. 8700 outer. 8630 inner.
Other parts were from GoWesty.
Ultimately had the stuff installed by RMW in FtCollins.
Inner buckets required modification to accept the JW 8630 lights.

Major improvement in night driving.
Only major difference is the clean horizon the LEDs make.
Prior square lights sort of faded away.
New LEDs have a very straight beam, makes more of an on/off horizon... if that makes sense.

Pleased with the result.

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using LED headlights? Reply with quote

Cheap LEDs off eBay/amazon. Only problem I have now is everyone flashes their high beams at me because they think my lights are on high.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: