Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Hey Samba,

I have a build thread for my 914 going on over at 914World but thought I might share it over here as well as this is my first home. My new project - a 1975 2.0L. It's certainly a project, but I think it's a great starting place. It was on the local CL for a while for more than I wanted to pay, but was recently able to strike a deal.

Here are some specs about the project:

• "Rust Free" car with the only rust being on the surface of cleaned metal
  • Hell-hole looks very clean
  • All original glass, bumpers, interior, suspension, rims, etc. are included
  • 901 "side shift" transmission has been taken apart, inspected, and rebuilt
  • Lowered hard mounts for drivetrain
  • There are some spares included as well (doors, top, misc. / etc.)

The engine is the gem of this purchase in my opinion. 2055cc "build" project in pieces currently (with supposed matching numbers)

• All balanced / clearance as necessary by H&H in Dallas
  • 96mm Pistons / Cylinders
  • 9.0:1 compression ratio
  • 3-angle valve job on 2.0 Heads
  • Iskenderian Cams #485128 Grind #VP-228
  • Claude's Buggies' Lightened Lifters
  • Lightened Flywheel
  • Custom High RPM Cooling Fan
  • Rotating assembly has been coated with polymer or ceramic coatings by Polymer Dynamics in Houston

Plans are for a mostly stock rebuild with an attempt to retain as much value as possible. Some photos from pick-up / loading up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

L30C (Malaga Red, 75/76 only I believe)

Once upon a time it wore its badges with honor…

As it always seems to go, my initial estimate of required work was a tad low. A closer inspection revealed that the "rust free" 914 (just doesn’t exist, lol) has a few small spots that will require attention. But, the important bits seem to be clean and structurally sound. There is no apparent rust on any of the longs and they door gaps and even with no sag. Here are my initial areas noted for repair:

1. A few patches will be needed below rear trunk release button, on the flat sheet metal that is usually covered by the bumper. These will be easy as it will just be flat rectangle patches that will get stitch-welded in.
  2. There are a couple of small (penny sized or smaller) holes in the engine compartment sidewalls. Not sure if these were once factory holes or maybe someone got crazy with a sheet metal screw at one point in the car's history and the rot just manifested from that.
  3. There is some rust around the antenna hole, but I am planning on filling this in anyways.
  4. There is some bubbling on a corner of the passenger side sail / b-pillar. Might be able to mitigate with a clean & rust treatment but won't know until I dig further.
  5. I knew the rear trunk floor pan was cut out when I agreed to purchase, so will be purchasing that patch panel.
  6. I found out that someone installed aftermarket A/C at some point, so there are holes cut in the front trunk floor pan. Will have to get that patch panel.
  7. A little further investigating into the engine compartment / hell hole led to the discovery of some rust on the lower firewall, where it meets with the engine shelf. It appears on the passenger side and to a lesser degree on the driver side. I studied this carefully yesterday and poked around to ensure it did not lead to any decay on the longs. It appears to be isolated to that one vertical, flat piece on both sides. I'm not sure which piece of a patch panel this is so will have to do some research.
  8. Lastly, I will have to add back in the battery support, tray, etc. as they have been removed.

So definitely not a "rust free" car, but really not too bad considering age / it was at one point a barn find (previous seller). I can at least say it is much better off than some of the other teeners I looked at. Some other areas that will need love:

• A corner of the targa top is chipped off, and will have to be re-glassed. I'm not sure what that will mean for texture-match. Also, the front locking mechanisms appear to be missing handles and not properly functioning. Will have to post pics and figure out how to get this top off.
  • The main wiring harness is cut aft of the passenger cabin and some of the dashboard wiring sheathing has been compromised. I was told going in that the harness was completely missing, so actually pleasantly surprised to see that it was still mostly in the car. I'm thinking I will use the existing harness and schematics as a template to recreate a new one. Am I crazy?
  • The dash "skeleton" or frame is cut in half, but looks to be a clean cut so hoping it will be an easy tack weld back together. The original dashboard pieces are pretty badly cracked and torn up, so will have to do research on replacement options.

The car also came with literally a truck bed load of parts in boxes. I will be going back tonight with Tupperware, tape and sharpies to attempt to identify and organize what's there. I'm going to have to gather my thoughts and do some research, but my plan now is to go for a mostly-stock restoration with some tasteful customizations. This car, despite missing some things and being disassembled, is remarkably original. With that in mind, I think I'm not going to venture too deep into the world of custom modifications. Here are some things I do plan to change:

• Shave the side markers
  • Shave the antenna hole
  • Add "duck tail" rear spoiler
  • Replace "steelie" wheels with fuchs or other
  • Replace bumpers with either fiberglass or chrome (if I can find without having to sacrifice a limb or two in order to afford them)
  • Thinking of leaving the sail panels / b pillars painted instead of covering w/ vinyl
  • Possibly others? Who knows?

The game plan for now is to get the transmission and engine out, get the car up on a wooden rolling cart, remove front and rear suspension and remove any remaining interior / trim / electrical / etc. so that I can trailer it to have it blasted and epoxy-primed. While it's away, I'll focus on organizing parts and dropping the engine off for inspection and likely a build. I'll likely take parts to the powder-coaters / cad-coaters in batches. When it comes back, I'll tackle the metal repairs at my own pace. After that, I will send off for body & paint. I'm trying to stay more "hand off" with this project as I'm without my garage full of tools for the moment. (All subject to change, as with any project)

Anyways, here are some pictures:

A few dimples here & there:

Trunk with missing section(s) of the floor pan:

Here is the rot on the firewall / engine shelf. As mentioned, I poked and prodded and the long itself seems solid:

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Here are some shots of the longitudinal(s) and inner fenderwell(s):

Passenger:

Passenger, holes are from where original battery support / tray were spotted in (I think?)

Passenger:

Driver:

Driver:

Here is the chipped corner on the targa:

All tucked away for now:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

The organization has begun! I went through all boxes from the seller. Found a few goodies that I wasn't expecting like runners & plenum from the factory FI as well as a new in box O2 sensor kit. Will have to post pics of that stuff because I know close to nothing when it comes to D-Jet.

Also appear to have 2 sets of tin for the 2.0 engine so will likely be selling one of those to recoup some $.

Here is a picture of the cut-outs for factory air conditioning. I think I'll get the patch panel from Restoration Design to fix this.

So, she is a roadster again:

Also nice to see all my #'s match:

I spent a couple of hours after work going through the car to begin disassembly. Nice to see almost no rust under the various seals (except the bottoms of both doors, which were a little crunchy).

Bottom of door crunchies:

Think most of this is surface but will poke around:

Don't know how I feel about the red inserts?

Also dash is in two pieces... Will have to tack together.

After a sweat-filled couple of hours, the engine / transmission are out!

PO's all aluminum, lowered engine hanger / cross bar / mount: (this may go away)

These heads were supposedly rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job, but have sat outside since and have rusty valves now. Thinking I will probably have them blasted and have new valves put in.

I believe this was the PO's "short shift kit"

My body stand, ready for action. (Plans stolen from: Steve_R)

After a couple of nights working on disassembly. Most of the wiring harness is out, the interior is empty, and the last bits I have left are the pedal assembly, heater box assemblies and steering column.

I thought I'd post some additional pics of the firewall rust spots.

This one I knew about and can be seen from both sides. It looks like it will be a fairly simple rectangle patch with a couple of breaks.

This one was new to me, where the firewall meets the floor. Hard to tell in this pic, but bottom right corner of the pan.

I attempted to remove the axle nuts with a big ass breaker bar and 3' piece of pipe with no luck, I was spinning the tires on the concrete. So I broke out the impact wrench. The driver's side came off easily enough - but the passenger side was really stuck and once it loosened, tore up threads on the way out. I'm not sure if it was possibly cross-threaded at some point or if the threads were rusty / dirty.

The axle nut is trash but the axle shaft might be salvageable? When fully torqued, the nut would still be in contact with all threads plus it gets a locking cotter pin.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Tonight I went through my cases of engine parts to lay everything out in preparation to take it to Jay @ H&H. I'm a little concerned at the surface rust on some of these parts that I did not notice on first inspection...

All new:

"new" cam on left

Teflon coated rods:

050 Dizzy

Also, here are some pics of the fan:

All loaded up:

Then pulled the 'teener out to load up and move from the storage unit to my uncle's shop. Here are some pics:

Also lifted the car up and placed on my body stand. The stand itself is sturdy, but the cheesy pneumatic wheels will need to be swapped.

Straps around motor mounts:

Lifting from front & rear:

Tucked away next to the '56 oval project (sold)

Also, found a "parts car" I am planning to pick up. It's a 72 and has 2.0L fuchs, chrome bumpers, some missing interior pieces, transmission, and lots of other goodies. I will probably take patch panels from this car instead of buying new $$ from restoration design.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Picked up the parts car. It's a '72 roller with no motor, no transmission. The engine compartment and hell hole are very clean, but the floors have some holes.

I'll be stealing the fuchs, bumpers, and targa top along with some other small pieces. Then I'll probably post what's left for a few hundred. If it doesn't sell, I'll take anything of value off and scrap the rest.

I spent a good 3 hours pulling parts with a buddy and my Dad. Took some pics of some of the parts I stole off of my parts car so far:

P/O cut part of the exhaust pipe / flange off of these... wondering if they are worth anything or can be repaired?

Also hoping this top is the same style / will fit my '75, need to do some more research as well:

Will be tearing into the interior soon to remove all the bits I want to keep:

I stole the battery box & tray out of the parts car. It's in mostly good shape save some surface rust and twisting I did getting it out. It will only need minor repairs:

Last edited by AggieZig on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Got some bad news on my engine parts... The shop called to say that the crankshaft and cam I supplied were not usable. Apparently the crank has already been turned .020" under and he did not want to turn again? He also said the heads will need a valve job & new springs. As a result... my estimate has now jumped to $6500-7000 to source those missing parts and build the engine. I'm having a real hard time swallowing this one and will be picking up parts and going in another direction.

I also pulled the front suspension and got the brakes off of the rear. I need to do some searching to figure out the best way to remove the stub axle assemblies out of the trailing arms.

Also got the trailing arms out and suspension completely disassembled:

Dad helping out:

Our homemade bearing driver tool:

Ended up using a 1.5" piece of metal pipe to get these out of the arms:

Ready for powdercoater...

Nice and powder coated:

AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

I was inspired by the octagon / rotisserie that Restoration Design has created in this thread so I decided to go ahead and build one for my project. This will be very helpful when media blasting, epoxy priming, painting, reassembly, etc. All in all, I have around $300 invested including steel, casters, hardware, paint, and some wire / cutting discs.

I had a hard time coming across the CAD plans for this stand but finally found them in the above thread. For anyone looking for these plans... download this PDF of all four images combined together.

Here's all of the required metal:

Marked up for cuts:

Dad helped out with some smart ways to square it all up:

Using the bottom hoop as a template for the top:

I started to prep the angle iron for the brackets for the 8 connecting bars but that's about where we stopped tonight.

I may deviate slightly from the RD drawings as I do not want to re-mount my clean, powder-coated suspension crossmember under the car. I will likely use a piece of 1-1/4" square tubing that's left over and extend the height of the front "pick-ups" off of the hoop.

The "cross bars" are welded and ready to go and the "hoops" are drilled (should have drilled these before welding together...)

All done... just needs a 914 inside of it!

It was a little bit of a challenge, but my 914 is now firmly mounted in its rotisserie!

All put away, for now:

AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

I was finally able to align the stars and bring my project home to my garage where I can work on it much more frequently.

Here it is all loaded up on the rotisserie with remaining parts from the 72 parts car:

In transit:

Finally home!

Found the '72 parts car had an aluminum front cross member out of a 911... may end up using.

Well, I wasted no time and dug in to start the sheet metal repairs. As I cleaned off the paint, the rust holes kept getting bigger...

Backside:

I was able to fill a few small holes with the welder, but there are three main areas that will have to be gutted (under the trunk latch mount, and under the two side support mounts?)

All holes cut:

Likely going to have to recreate the bottom 2cm or so of these support braces:

Here's some rusty porsche for everyone:

After taking measurements, decided to go ahead and fill in the trim holes so I can run without vinyl & cross-trim:

Also O/T, but does anyone know what these carpet nail looking things are for around the rear taillights? I'm thinking they need to be pulled and filled:

Decided to cut into the sail panel and see if there was any rust due to the foam seal inside. I figured there might be as there was some surface rust on the outside of these panels. Surprisingly, it is very clean inside. May not cut open the other side:

At least I have the right sized patch panel? I'm going to coat the inside with rust-proofing before I seal it back up:

That's where I'm stopping for now. I realized I don't have any sheet metal lying around, so I will have to track some down to make patches.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

While I was out of town, my Dad was bored enough to wander into the garage and play around with the teener (much appreciated). He knocked out some patches for the side marker warts and also filled the antenna hole:

Heat shield now separated from donor panel and ready to be welded onto new rear trunk floor:

He also discovered what must be years of accumulated rat droppings under the headlight buckets:

Enough to fill almost 3" deep inside of our 16 gal shop vac.

Still some left even after lots and lots of vacuuming:

The insides of these areas under the buckets will have to be treated with master series for sure.

I ordered a (cheap) paintless dent removal tool off amazon to try out on some of the dents on the car. It seems to work pretty well, other than the glue getting stuck to the plastic pullers. Here is a dent we experimented on:

Glue applied:

Using the puller:

Dent is almost gone after one attempt (note it is in fact NOT paintless)

After pondering over the patches I needed to make, I broke down and ordered a front and rear trunk floor panel from Restoration Design.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Playing around with some paint stripper...

Overall some very clean, very original sheet metal. A few bumps and bruises but no major beating required other than a crease in the front hood.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Time for some sheet metal updates....

Here's the trunk with what was left of the rear floor removed:

We decided to weld the RD floor panel to the existing lip as a flange using rosette welds. Here is that lip cleaned up:

After some sandblasting, you can see the areas that are heavily oxidized with rust (black spots). These areas were treated with PickleX20 and then top coated with Zinc Weld Through Primer for now.

Starting to fit the new panel from RD:

First issue encountered -- the original trunk floor sat much lower than this replacement panel, causing an interference with the two reinforcement supports and with the trunk latch mounting bracket. In this picture, we had already trimmed the supports and latch bracket to allow the repair panel to slide up high enough in place:

Doing some minor shaping to get the replacement panel to fit snugly:

Here's a reference shot of how much higher the new floor sits as compared to the old. The old was spotted in where the holes are drilled. You can see the new floor level through the holes cut for patches.

The second issue we ran into is with regards to these bumper support pieces. Originally, the floor was tacked to these supports (see circles where old spots drilled out):

The new panels have a corrugation that falls exactly in the middle of this support, creating a gap between the two pieces:

I blasted the tops of these bumper supports so that they could be top coated with Master Series encapsulator as they will be "sealed up" when the floor is welded back down.

We decided to coat some other areas with MS as well including the inside of the transmission support frame. I also broke out the siphon gun to spray the inside of the sail panel I cut open:

Third issue with the RD panel is that the corners are not formed anywhere close to the shape of the original panel. This leaves pretty significant gaps in the corners. One option would be to unfold the edge, but that would leave practically zero lip to flange to the car. Another option is to fill with seam sealer.

After some final fit and finish, I used screws to hold the new panel firmly in place and rosette welded the panel in. Additionally, I finished the patches on the rear fascia.

AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Next up... front trunk floor! The front panel from RD was a very close fit and we had no issues getting it in place after some trimming. Similar to the rear trunk floor, we decided to flange the new metal with the existing and use rosette welds. This will call for seam sealer, but a lot less work than seam welding & grinding. I also salvaged the tow hook and spare tire hold down off of the original floor.

RD Patch Panel:

Existing mess from aftermarket A/C & sharpie line for rough cut:

The "final" hole size:

Cutting to size / Fitting Shape:

Trunk prepped w/ Zinc Primer:

Holes Drilled & Prepped w/ Zinc Primer:

Adding Tow Hook:

Fitted & ready for welding:

All done (minus the spare tire bracket)

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

A pretty good start of a car. You must havs started this a shile back.

A couple notes....get rid of those siamesed exhaust manifolds. Worst exhaust ever designed and not what came on it. Those are from a late bus.

Also...yes....that crank was done....and neither of those cans are new or usable ax you found out. You can see the standard wear marks in them.

If you havd not gotten there yet.....100% of all factory stock type 4 cams are junk...even if they are NOS....they are paperweights. They run hot and there are much better cams out there for cheap. Just save the gears from the old cams if they are aluminum. I think those have a "C" letter code in the part #.

Nice work so far! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Thanks, Ray. Yep - the build started in August on 914World but figured I'd post here as well. I'm going to run a webcam, deciding between 494 and 86a at this time.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Well, this will be a pretty big update. After spot blasting areas of the floor it was clear that there were quite a few holes and a couple of the seat mounts were looking pretty crusty. There were a few holes in the lower firewall that seemed to grow as well. At that point, we decided it was best to order a rear floor half from Restoration Design.

In the mean time, we got started taking out the old floor and cleaning up the leftover spot welds. In order to do this... the car needed to go up on its side, so it was the perfect chance to test out the rotisserie stand!

After much much much drilling, the old floors started to come out:

Inside of the tunnel, mostly clean. But if you look closely there are three fuel lines - one is the original plastic line and there are two other black rubber lines that were added later on. Of course, this means one of the PO's added another hole in the back of the firewall.

Mud dobber nest hiding away in the tunnel:

Of course, once the floor came out and we started cleaning around we found more and more rot. It became clear that I would need to make some serious patches in both inside and outside corners of the firewall. Here's some of the carnage:

Note all of the junk that is on the floor that fell out of the inside of the firewall:

Close up:

More holes discovered on the engine side:

Look how thick the white sealant from the factory is! Easily 1/2"

While examining the firewall, there was a small section of the long that seemed too soft for my liking. I cut it out and made a patch to go in its place:

Weld-through primer:

Repaired and ground down:

Here's the first patch I made for the driver front side of the firewall. I flanged around most of the edges to try and get a better flush fit using rosette welds. This worked ok, but still ended up having to do some stitch welding.

The old crunchy on top, replacement on bottom:

And another patch for the driver backside of the firewall:

Backside patch in place:

Both patches welded in, and tubes for parking brakes repaired and back in place:

Cut out the bad metal from the passenger inside firewall:

Some rust hiding out under the passenger side jack point support plate:

I was hoping to be able to save the passenger outer firewall, but no dice. So this is my mark for what to cut out and replace:

Outside patch welded in and fitting inside passenger patch:

While I was there, I decided to see if there was a good way to add a doubler around the clutch tube as I've seen some other cars with metal fatigue / failure here. I also discovered some more history... it looks like the car had driven over something pretty hard that put a good bend on the middle of the firewall. I made some relief cuts and worked to flatten it back out. This picture is after re-shaping and with weld primer in place for the doubler:

Here is the doubler I made:

Welded in place:

After all of the firewall repairs were made, we finished grinding and preparing the flanges for the new floor. Prior to closing up the bottom side, I wanted to do some extra rust prevention measures for the future. We shot master series inside of the tunnel, firewall cavity, crossmember cavity, and into the longs.

All coated with MS & weld primer on the flanges:

Kind of a wild shot with no floors:

Next up was test fitting the replacement floor from RD. Overall, a really quality piece that required minimal fitting for my application. Here is a rough overlay to determine what needed trimming:

We decided to flange the new repair on top of the existing floor at the front edge of the crossmember. This will effectively leave three layers of metal spot welded together at that point. The entire piece was rosette welded into place. Here is the piece with all holes drilled and weld primer on top:

Here it is screwed into place with self tapping screws:

And finally, after a good two hours of rosette welding, here is the new floor firmly in place. I have new support rails and hinge mounting plates for the seats from RD that will go in next.

Unrelated #1, but after quite the fit I also managed to separate the rusty crusty pedal assembly:

Unrelated #2, spent a weekend building a nice metal shop table to house a vice and a break for all of the metal work:

Phew, that was a long update. The remaining metal work includes two patches higher up on the firewall where it is single layered, a portion of the engine shelf, and adding back the battery box. After that work is completed, I'll shift my focus to blasting the bottom of the car, coating with epoxy primer, seam sealing, and top coat of paint to match bedliner.

I just dropped off another load of parts for powder coating and visited an upholstery shop to get some ideas for a slightly custom interior. In mid-March I'm planning to get started with the engine. I'm making pretty good progress and really pushing to have this teener driving in 2017.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Small update, but here goes. I ended up spending all of last weekend with my other project ('70 Cal Look) that is stowed away for now. I had it before I bought my teener but, long story short, it's on hold and stored in my old college roommate's house for now.

So, after a weekend of cleaning out / placing the bug body back onto the rebuilt chassis / bringing some tools back, I was pretty pooped. But, I had a little spare time & energy today so I was able to knock out a few quickies on the teener. The new seat support frames / rails from RD are now welded in place. I also cleaned up the jack points / mounts and Dad helped to straighten them out as they were pretty bent up from years of abuse. The backsides were coated with master series and then welded into place. I also took a few minutes after to grind down the high spots of all my rosette welds from the new floors.

I think that's everything I need to do on the underside of the car, so it looks like I may be flipping her back over soon to look at the remaining patches!
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Ok, so the fun continues tonight... It is officially time to tear into the hell hole and see what lurks ahead....

Firewall, engine shelf, inner fender, and top of long all rusted with pinholes. In this pic, the lower corner of the firewall has been cut out.

So, I started dissecting... Here is everything all opened up with just a little bit of the engine shelf left to cut out. Also appears that a PO hacked off part of the engine tin seal channel and folded it down? Need to confirm but doesn't look original to me.

This is the section of the top of the long I cut out and will have to re-create. I did not realize there was a doubler underneath, so I'll have to get creative to weld something back in to retain that original strength.

But, still glad I cut it out because the top of the long was pretty pitted with a few pinholes:

Pretty clean down inside there:

Before stopping for the night, I coated the inside of the long with Master Series:

We'll see how energetic I'm feeling tomorrow after work, would really like to get this repair knocked out to say I'm "done" with the major sheet metal repairs.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

AggieZig wrote:

[url=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/cameraman123_photos/media/IMG_7668.jpg.html]

I've not seen a fan that looks quite like that. It has a fan in front of a stock T4 fan. Any idea what this is or is it just a stock Porsche version of the T4 cooling fan?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Are you finding the thickness of the RD replacement sheet metal to be equal to the original metal thickness? Great build. Looking forward to more updates.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
AggieZig wrote:

[url=http://s120.photobucket.com/user/cameraman123_photos/media/IMG_7668.jpg.html]

I've not seen a fan that looks quite like that. It has a fan in front of a stock T4 fan. Any idea what this is or is it just a stock Porsche version of the T4 cooling fan?

Unless its Porsche specific.....it looks like a standard type 4 fan with a VW type 3 pullet fan with the outside edge turned down and then bolted to the inlet of the type 4 fan.

I have long thought tbat mod may help. It looks like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232132885666?dispItem...noapp=true

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 914 2.0 - A Texas Project Reply with quote

Now that I look at it a little more, it doesn't even look like it's attached to the other fan. It looks like it's just sitting on it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: