Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear heater delete on a syncro?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Thinking about removing my rear heater, I've seen multiple posts on how to do this on a regular westy but the Syncro setup is a bit different. On a regular westy one just needs to unplug the Tee and replace with a straight through connector. Is there a good place to disconnect the syncro lines? Or do i have to cut them off?

also can anyone tell me the size of the plug I will need to close the holes as well as the size of the connector?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

I forget the size of the hoses to plug, but if you have these hose line clamps or something similar will make it easier to disconnect the hoses with loosing the least amount of coolant.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fluid-line-clamp-set-65116.html

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Gotcha, any thoughts on where to connect the lines?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

I would jsut cut them as they come in under the seat. You can loop them together,but there is no need to do that and plugging them is neater and easier.

HomeDepot sells 3/4" Pex Brass Plugs that fit perfectly. (I don't know why PEX says 3/4 when it is closer to 1/2" but they fit and have ribs to stay on and you can just put a hose clamp over them. 1.95/ea. The autoparts store may have plastic coolant plugs, but these work well and brass is nice.

I would gently pull the slack through, leave a couple inches of hose before your cut so you can reconnect later if you want to. Then push the slack back through the hole so they only stick out a little bit under the seat.

If you use needle nose vise-grips or similar to keep from making a cool mess. Put a towel down before you start anyway. And put some duct tape over the jaws on your vise grips to protect the hoses.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Thinking about removing my rear heater

Any particular reason? Do you live in a warm climate year-round?
I know a lot of space can be gained back there but dang, I love my rear heater! Great for drying out ski gear on the way home fro the mountain, great for keeping passengers warm, and in spring and fall good to take the chill off when your front heat would be too much (or completely shutoff in my case).
I only ask because it seems people get the impression they should delete the rear heater because they can be a source of coolant leaks but it's pretty easy to fix.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

I have to agree. I considered this same thing since I was putting in an Espar heater and I figured I could use the extra space.

I'm really glad I didn't do it. The rear heater is SO much better than the front heater. I hardly ever turn the front on. I went the route of smaller batteries instead. We live in San Diego but in Mammoth it was down to the single digits (normal for lots of you) and rear heater kept us toasty warm on the drive home.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:

Any particular reason? Do you live in a warm climate year-round?

For some of us in with cold winters, the rear heater is of little use, because the salt trucks are out shortly after the cold weather arrives, so the van is sleeping!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Well my thoughts are as follows: we are in California, we typically use the family SUV in the winter. Our front heater works really well and with a family of four we definitely could use the extra space. I just put in a propex under the fridge so figured if we really need heat, we would turn that on

Last edited by baltik on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Sleep on this for a few days!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

/sigh

I wasn't looking for reasons to keep the rear heater…and maybe none of those apply anyway, as I have no skiers or teens to dry out/keep warm. I find the rear heater a bit of a mystery because you have to open the rear bench, lift the box it lives in, turn it on, then go back and fire up the blower. So I think it is coming out.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Keep the heater.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

You are twisting a knife in the backs of (northern) air-cooled van owners.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
.. because you have to open the rear bench, lift the box it lives in, turn it on, then go back and fire up the blower.

I don't think you are supposed to do it that way. You either leave the valve open year round, or you open the valve in Fall and close it in summer. It doesn't put out any heat unless the blower is moving air past it. In hot summers you might not want it open, but I don't regularly touch that valve.

I do agree having removed a couple rear heaters, and put one back so far, that they are nice. They put out more heat and helps defrost the van faster with both and if you have passengers back there...

But I see both sides, I removed the rear heater and have a gas heater back there.

I'd also comment about using the aux heater while driving. It works but has some downsides even besides the cost of the fuel. An intake filter is probably a good idea if you use it regularly while driving.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

So kill 2 birds with one stone. Eliminate the rear heater and get rid of those plastic tees at the same time. If you just plug the lines after eliminating the rear heater you still have those stupid plastic tees. Go to your local FLAPS and buy 2 BRASS 5/8" double barbed joiners. Use a pair of hose clamp pliers or some other way to cut off the flow of water while you have the Tees out. I would personally use the spring clamps as they are already there.
Once you have done that there are 2 other spots in the heater system with plastic connectors that should be eliminated as well. One is in the rear over the transmission and one is up front by the heater core.
Those and any plastic in a cooling system will leave you walking when they let loose.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Do Not Remove The Rear Heater.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

He is not asking our opinion about whether to remove it or not, just about the proper way to do it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

One of the cons on the rear heater is that if it starts leaking the coolant will soak into you floor insulation most likely before you see it leaking and that's a pita...a real PITA! Aside from the possibility of cooking your engine.

If you know 100% that the heater is good...pressure tested and all that with new hoses, valve and clamps then keeping it is not a problem. If it's been sitting in there since new take it out and get it checked.

The added space gained by removing it is a definite plus!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how mine looks with the Pex plugs and cut just inside and under the seat. It being a 10 minute job max, is the reason I did it this way, plus it would be easier to put the heater back for me or the next owner.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So kill 2 birds with one stone. Eliminate the rear heater and get rid of those plastic tees at the same time. If you just plug the lines after eliminating the rear heater you still have those stupid plastic tees. Go to your local FLAPS and buy 2 BRASS 5/8" double barbed joiners. Use a pair of hose clamp pliers or some other way to cut off the flow of water while you have the Tees out. I would personally use the spring clamps as they are already there.
Once you have done that there are 2 other spots in the heater system with plastic connectors that should be eliminated as well. One is in the rear over the transmission and one is up front by the heater core.
Those and any plastic in a cooling system will leave you walking when they let loose.

Stacy

Great advice Stacy, hoping you can show me the locations to eliminate the T's when I can finally convince you to help me fix the leak at my side passenger window

-Dan in Los Altos
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater delete on a syncro? Reply with quote

Ok so apparently the syncro does have the Tees, just harder to access under the gas tank. I am going to replace them with the inline adapter. Does anyone know the size of the plugs I will need for the holes under the rear bench?

I am going to go with either this coupler

https://www.amazon.com/MettleAir-129-10-1PK-Splicer-Fitting-Adapter/dp/B00SB9HJ1A/

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-56438-Hose-Connector/dp/B000CO7D9K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: