Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Ok. Driving from portland to Oak Harbor this weekend. '90 Weekender running perfect. Stop to pee. Starts right up again. But the next time I stopped, it wouldnt start and I had to jump it. However, when connected with jumper cables to a random car, it doesnt struggle, or even act like it needs the extra juice- it starts right up.

Then, every other time I start and stop, the battery (with date stamp from 4/2010) acts like normal and starts no problem.

The only irregularities are I drove with my headlights on and had the rear window defroster on, while driving, before I needed a jump. The rest of the trip I didnt drive with those on. Also, I turned those off before turning off the van.

This has happened twice before- where my wife has been stranded, and when I show up, as soon as I connect the jumper cables, it starts right up. But the last time we had a problem was back in August.

Suggestions?
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms occur to my rig. Only really happened after longer drives. Installed a hot start relay and cleaned my grounds. Problem solved. Could be worth looking into?
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

A better description please, ,,,,doesn't start?
Does this mean doesn't turn over quickly when starter is engaged?
Or does it mean engine cranks over well, but does not fire up?
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

Hi ,
" Then, every other time I start and stop, the battery (with date stamp from 4/2010) acts like normal and starts no problem. "

its almost 7 years old I would have the battery tested at your local auto parts store . life expectancy is at the end for that battery .

( Internet search says 3 - 5 years average life )
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
...This has happened twice before- where my wife has been stranded...

My wife would only have to be stranded once before something definitive would have to be done to assure it did not happen again.

I suspect it is time for a new battery. The one you have is marginal and the rear defroster, headlights and a hot start are just too much for it sometimes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

New battery, cleaning and/or REPLACING the battery cables as needed, smearing the battery connections inside and out with vasoline or dielectric grease, cleaning and relubing the starter solenoid, checking-cleaning-and/or replacing the transmission ground strap, and adding a hot start relay.

No crank situations are typically caused by years of negligence.
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

Wild things is dead on. My recommendation for a new battery is a Bosch from Pep Boys. I got mine for $90 and it has a 3 year free replacement and a 100 month warranty. It is a great battery. I was having kind of a similar problem about a month ago. Took my starter out, disassembled it and cleaned it up really good internally and have had a problem since. My starter got to rhe point it wouldn't even turn over.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wont start, but starts immediately when connected to jumper cabl Reply with quote

Your battery is all done.

The fact that a 7 year old battery spins the engine at all is a miracle.

Go to wal-mart and pick up a new. battery with a 5 year warrantee.

Stop over taxing the alternator.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

New battery did nothing. Had old battery tested- battery is fully charged and "good". So, cleaned up terminals on battery (they were clean but...), new ground strap (transmission) and cleaned contacts, cleaned terminals on starter, and still have problem.

Again- problem is that it intermittently won't start at all. No clicking of starter. Sometimes it starts after waiting (hours), sometimes it doesn't (towed home yesterday). So- I am following Bentley trying to pinpoint problem instead of guessing at starter.

Opened Bentley. Followed flow-diagram. My starter looks different from picture 27-140 on pg 27-13 (H-13). My voltage on "terminal 50 of solenoid switch" (fatter red/black wire w/ white clip) reads 12.38 v compared to battery 12.41 v. Good right? So moving on-

In the flow diagram, if 'Voltage OK', next is measure voltage at connection A. How do I do this? Is this from A to ground or A to positive of terminal 30?

Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Spend $10 and get a new ignition switch electical portion. It's probably old and fried.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

I'll put money on a dying starter solenoid. Are you driving a manual or automatic?

I just went through this. I have a fresh ignition switch and hard start relay kit installed. Intermittent starting. My starter solenoid was toast.

kourt
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I'll put money on a dying starter solenoid. Are you driving a manual or automatic?

I just went through this. I have a fresh ignition switch and hard start relay kit installed. Intermittent starting. My starter solenoid was toast.

kourt

Then a hammer should be fine!
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

I'd check the ignition switch. I just replaced one at my shop on a Vanagon with intermittent starting problem. You can unplug the ignition switch and put 12V to the red/black wire at the electrical connector. Only takes a few minutes to diag.

Mike
87 Westfalia TDI ALH powered
90 911 C2
00 F250 7.3 Diesel
04 Golf TDI
2007 997 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Mine did this on a long trip. My problem was where the power connected to the starter. Threads were stripped and the connection loose.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Battery is/was not the issue here, either something is loose or corroded enough that the voltage isnt making the connection until you either bump it physically or add enough voltage that it can them make the jump. Ive seen battery terminals that feel and appear to be tight get bumped and suddenly the car starts, same with grounds.
Or as stated above the solenoid is hanging up, but in my experience you get some warning with that by the solenoid hanging up occasionally.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

when it happen again next time... get something like a hammer and hit the solenoid/starter a couple times... if it started then you know... the ignition switch is a must to replace and the 7 year old battery too...
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

kourt

Automatic.

I tried taking off the starter today- couldn't get it unbolted. The bolt with nut was so tight I couldn't get leverage.

I have a new ignition switch. I will put it in tomorrow.

Since I got good voltage at the starter, wouldn't that eliminate the ignition switch?

I want to test the starter. Worth testing it, or just get the GoWesty one?
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
when it happen again next time... get something like a hammer and hit the solenoid/starter a couple times... if it started then you know... the ignition switch is a must to replace and the 7 year old battery too...

I tried hitting it last time it wouldn't start... but I didn't have anyone trying to start it (which I've since read is a must with hitting it). I just hit it, then went and tried starting it. It didn't start.

So - battery too? When I installed a new one, the van still wouldn't start so I took back the new battery. They tested the old one and said it was just fine. "86% charged and 'good'" was the battery tester results.

Anyway. Thanks.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Have you inspected and cleaned the neutral safety switch?
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start, but will start immediately with jumper cables Reply with quote

Surfcamper wrote:
I'd check the ignition switch. I just replaced one at my shop on a Vanagon with intermittent starting problem. You can unplug the ignition switch and put 12V to the red/black wire at the electrical connector. Only takes a few minutes to diag.

Mike

Is there a "how to" on replacing the ignition switch? I couldn't find it in the Bentley. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: