Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake booster leaking need advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Brake booster leaking need advice Reply with quote

My master cylinder brake was leaking where it attaches to the brake booster. I'm pretty sure some brake fluid might have leaked into the booster.

So after I replaced the mater cylinder all looks fine and no more leaks where it attaches to booster but I'm still getting little bit of brake fluid dripping.

I re checked all the obvious places like the hard lines and where the mater cylinder attaches to the brake cylinder and all those areas are dry. But I'm still getting little bit of brake fluid on the floor mat.

I asked a knowledgeable person and he said it could be the left over brake fluid coming out from the booster. By the way it only leaks when I'm driving.

Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster leaking need advice Reply with quote

Re-check your connections for leaks, especially the hose that goes down to the Clutch Slave.

Brake fluid inside the booster will not destroy it. I had a similar issue and found my booster to be about half full of fluid. I have to assume most of the fluid was there before I bought the Van because I never added much fluid. I replaced the master cylinder almost immediately vs continuing to add fluid.

Anyway, I went deeper for issues relating to the brake pedal pivot binding. So, while I had the booster out, I removed as much of the fluid as I could... about 95% gone. That's been almost 5 years ago....... no problems.

Note: brake fluid inside the booster will not leak out. If it does, your booster has a hole in it! If that be the case, your booster is shot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster leaking need advice Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Re-check your connections for leaks, especially the hose that goes down to the Clutch Slave...

If you can't find anything there - another possibility is that the big O-ring got pinched or otherwise did not seat properly.

Easy to do. Well, I did it once.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: