Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Another good one you can look at as that error is quite common for many VAG vehicles:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

Watch the video at the end too.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Also, any oldtimer mechanics know (especially if you ever worked on any early Bosch fuel injection system, that carb cleaner sprayed in areas where you think there's a leak, is a cheap effective diagnostic tool for finding a leak (as in the video).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

A decent OBD scanner like the Autex 500 series or up,will monitor fuel trims. Graphing and plotting functions are cool but not really necessary, you only need two points, idle and 2500 rpm

Quick version

Engine runs lean. That means too little fuel or Too much air.

Air comes from two places, metered air ( measured by the MAF) and unmetered air ( not seen by MAF)

At idle , a leak is large compared to idle air, so SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM is large ..20% or more.

At 2500 rpm the throttle plate passes gobs of air and the leak is now small relative to the throttle metered air , so STFT falls to 5% or less.

Voila!
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Had a leak where the PCV hose attaches to the intake. Replaced the intake and the codes have gone away. I feel like the van is still running pretty rich though. Took it to another exhaust guy and he checked for leaks. Nothing obvious but he suggested that if I thought the upstream O2 sensor was more than 80k miles old to replace it. Based on his observations he agreed its running rich. Replacing the O2 sensor this weekend. Plugs are new and the engine has 13k miles on it since I bought it from VW as a rebuilt. No other obvious vacuum leaks per the smoke test at a shop and my starter fluid testing.

MAF sensor is next. Smile
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Reviving this topic as I am facing a similar problem. I replaced the brake booster vacuum line last year, but haven't been able to locate where the air is getting in.

based on this fuel trim at idle, I'm far beyond .20 Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are there some likely suspects I should start looking at? I'm not super familiar with where to look for these vacuum lines on a modern car, but I can spray carb cleaner if I know where to look Wink I tried listening with a stethoscope to see if I could find any, but didn't discover anything obvious.

thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Your trim is good Shocked Shocked Shocked if its truly 0.78% and not 0.78 (22%)
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EuroVan CEL P0171 Too Lean - But runs fine Reply with quote

Haha, didn't catch that part Wink I'll reset it and then see if it comes back. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: