Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

all that effort to put together a 5-window bus.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame rust repair door gap alignment done Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Holy cow. And just like that, it's right back to looking like a panel in need of some "typical" rust replacement work. Kudos Kurt!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Frame rust repair door gap alignment done Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
glideking wrote:

Holy cow. And just like that, it's right back to looking like a panel in need of some "typical" rust replacement work. Kudos Kurt!

x2. We all know the difficulty of the work thus far, but he makes it look kinda simple. I knew this would be a good thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

I hope the other projects are done soon I want to see more. He makes it look like we could all do this
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
all that effort to put together a 5-window bus.
We like extremes right? 23 or even 25 window buses are extreme. I could exercise M code 127 "Rear hatch without window" and it would be a four window bus!
I could prepare two rear hatches to change with my mood like this bus.
I feel another welding rampage coming on...
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Don't forget about the deluxe rear hatch. You could go small window, big window, no window. Or no window, small window, big window. Or big window, no window, small window. Did I mention stretcher hatch? Let's see...
esotericsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

I thought my bus was rusty, wow! Amazing work and detailed posts. Please keep them coming.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

I am entering T. Wrecks in Sacramento Bug-O-Rama this weekend. Now that the rotisserie is on casters I can get the whole contraption on a flatbed trailer. Should make for some interesting photos among all those shiny show cars. People will be able to take him for a spin. He is about as ugly as he can be at this stage of the build.
Kurt
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
People will be able to take him for a spin.
Kurt

Applause
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
I am entering T. Wrecks in Sacramento Bug-O-Rama this weekend. Now that the rotisserie is on casters I can get the whole contraption on a flatbed trailer. Should make for some interesting photos among all those shiny show cars. People will be able to take him for a spin. He is about as ugly as he can be at this stage of the build.
Kurt

Cool. That will get a lot of attention. Not many people are aware of the work that goes into some restorations.

I took mine to our local car show last summer covered in dirt and rust. It was fun. Got some cool photos that will be on display along with some restoration photos when I take it this year. Many did not believe it was repairable so it will be nice to show what is possible.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
glideking wrote:
People will be able to take him for a spin.
Kurt

Applause

Well done!!!!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Epic thread Kurt. Snot and tears are drying on my face over the door screw daisy chain! Hysterical! So appreciative to have your thread take me away from this middle east place I'm in. Thank you.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: T Wrecks goes to Bug O Rama Reply with quote

T Wrecks goes to Bug O Rama. T Wrecks was not allowed any where near the car show area. They required "drivable" vehicles. He was not allowed off the trailer either. We had hundreds of people rotating him in the camping area anyway. I hope a lot of people were inspired to build their own rotisserie after seeing how easy it is.

Driving the rotisserie down the street.

Mounted on a trailer. We got some looks driving on the highway.

Ready to rotate in the camp area.

People taking turns rotating Wrecks at the show.
Kurt
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

You are amazing.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Thanks for going to the trouble to bring your bus to the Bug O Rama. It was great to meet you and to see the bus in person and take it for a spin.
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Ya Kurt I saw you also and you let me have a spin. It was truly fun to meet you in person. I traveled from Canada that weekend and you were one of the hylights of my trip.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Thats pretty cheesy Tyvan wasn't allowed in the car show area. A work in progress is often more motivating to newbies and old hands alike. Helps the hobby. Glad he was available in the camp area for some. I would love to have taken him for a spin, unfortunately I'm on the wrong coast. Nice of you to put your project on display.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

Typical snob car show "rules", it is high time they evolve to showcase the talents of builders like yourself. I think its great you brought it anyway. Keep up the fine work, Panels are way cool in my book.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

The whole incident reminds me of an editorial that HVWs magazine ran a while ago. Someone had written in and asked why they never featured any "patina" cars. The Editor responded that their policy was to only feature cars which were FINISHED to a high standard. He had a lot of reasons why, which were essentially elitist hooey. But, it is their rag so their rules. Of course, not long after that the cover car and Centerfold Feature was that stupid POS "Farmtruck" Bug. What a bunch of hypocrites. I let my subscription lapse and won't even bother to pick up that rag to flip through it now.
Carry on, Kurt.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks" Reply with quote

HVW's is under new ownership now so I think you will start to see better coverage (that's the hope anyways). I agree that they lost touch with the VW scene with magazines like Air Mighty and Let's Play really doing a great job covering what people are interested in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: