Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Now that I have the fuel tank out, it's a good time to check and install a new central bushing on the shift linkage.

Looking at it, it looks pretty tired so replacement is the obvious thing to do...

Does anyone have any tips regarding how to replace this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Buy some Kroil and start soaking the splined couplings on the linkages for a few days.

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cffPybD4NKF3M

Edit: just saw your location...any penetrating fluid will work.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Buy some Kroil and start soaking the splined couplings on the linkages for a few days.

Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cffPybD4NKF3M

Edit: just saw your location...any penetrating fluid will work.

Yes, I have some very good 'weasel piss'... so I do need to disconnect the linkage at this connection point?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

The early diesel had a 3 piece shift rod. Just in front of the bushing you posted are 2 more wear bushings. I would have all 3 in hand before taking it apart. In my photos is a parts diagram of both shifter types. You will need to remove the 2 forward rods to replace the above tank bushing. At some point in the US the bushings were NLA. Good luck.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

make sure you MARK YOUR SHIFT COUPLING VERY WELL AND CLEAR
for IN&OUT as well as ROTATIONAL position..
it's a PAIN IN THE BUTT to get it right back where it was and being off a slight bit means a buncha crawling back under there for minute adjustments.

here's the part number
https://www.google.com/search?q=251711207&oq=2...p;ie=UTF-8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

stateside center bushing
http://www.vanagain.com/shop/center-shift-bushing/

you're going to want to replace the upper one there as well.

http://www.vanagain.com/shop/bushing-for-universal-on-early-vanagon-shifter/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Seems these bushings are NLA... so either I find them in Germany or start looking into some creative alternatives...

This is an interesting thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20

...and I like this comment -
acecabristol wrote:
Good evening - I am relatively new to the site but am an old fart with a lot of British car and VW experience......If you want a solid, inexpensive, easy fix for the shift bushing on the 80 - 83 Vanagon order part number 661-740 from Moss Motors (British cars) in California. it is a Nylon bushing for the front suspension on a Triumph TR6 - about 90 cents. Fits perfectly. Not necessary to remove the shifter rod. Cut a slot on one side with a hacksaw, heat the bearing with a heat gun enough to bend it and slip it over the shifter tube - slide it up into the bearing mount, grease the shift tube, drill a very small hole through the bearing mount and lip of the bushing and run a piece of safety wire through them both to keep the bushing in place - alternately it can be done without taking the fuel tank out but you won't be able to safety wire the bushing in place - instead, when you slip the bushing along the shift tube to push it into the bushing mount you can cover the OUTSIDE of the bushing with epoxy - then slide the bushing up the tube and push it into place in the mount with a long screwdriver - easy, solid, fast, cheap.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The early diesel had a 3 piece shift rod. Just in front of the bushing you posted are 2 more wear bushings. I would have all 3 in hand before taking it apart. .

Thanks Mark... are these the 3 bushings you are refering to: J, K+M, L+M?
Seems they are not available in Czech...

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

you will WANT to polish&Paint that shaft where it slides thru/past the hanger bushing so removal is necessary else you'll wear thru the new bushing quickly.

I have a Triumph bushing on my personal van. and I tried nearly any trick to slide it up there w/o dropping the tank. since your tank is out you're already 90% there. just mark/index the shift rods very well. thin scribe line that won't come off.

the Triumph bushing required a slight enlargement to fit the shaft.. I ran a drill thru it, which was fun as it's very slippery to hold onto. and you can't squeeze it much else it'll distort while you're drilling.

I used the faceplate bezel from a stainless marine lighter socket to retain the bushing in the frame bulkhead

also since the triumph bushing is harder plastic, it does transfer more rattle/vibration than the OE softer plastic one does. so it's still not a perfect answer.

it's a Been there, Done that and still wearing the T-shirt kind of thing.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

hmmm... I wonder (doubt) if the Triumph bushing would be available in Czech. I've NEVER seen a Triumph on the streets here. But it's worth a try. I think widening the hole by hand with a file or sand paper would not be a problem.

Don't you think it would be good to get rid of the rust on the entire rod, then polish and paint? This rod looks terrible!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

at least I got a couple of part numbers...
K = 251711066
M = 171711965
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Just got this from the German forum:
yamsun wrote:
Hi,

K/L/M are normally not that much worn down because there is only very little movement.
"J" is important and you should replace it. You can buy it at TK-Carparts.de: 251711207

Grüße!

Seems it is available in Germany... and this guy suggests that the other 2 are probably still OK.
Seem correct?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Hey, maybe I have good luck! On the Polish forum a guy told me that MEYLE makes a set containing all these bushings (MEYLE 1001420009)
Can you guys tell me if it looks like all of these bushings: J, K, L, & M are contained here?

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
make sure you MARK YOUR SHIFT COUPLING VERY WELL AND CLEAR
for IN&OUT as well as ROTATIONAL position.. 8

What you mean is that I should mark THIS COUPLING well with a sharpy? Only THIS coupling needs to be marked??

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

Any coupling you remove needs to be marked very precisely. You want to be able to reinstall the shifter parts EXACTLY in the same alignment they were before they were taken off. A Sharpie is likely too dull a tool for this. Many take a sharp pointed tool and make a gouge mark across the parts so that it cannot be wiped off and it is fine enough to reset the parts back exactly to where they were. YMMV.

As an example, installing a coupling only one spline off will likely mess up the shifting.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Any coupling you remove needs to be marked very precisely. You want to be able to reinstall the shifter parts EXACTLY in the same alignment they were before they were taken off. A Sharpie is likely too dull a tool for this. Many take a sharp pointed tool and make a gouge mark across the parts so that it cannot be wiped off and it is fine enough to reset the parts back exactly to where they were. YMMV.

As an example, installing a coupling only one spline off will likely mess up the shifting.

Silly question but I assume that removing the linkage from the stick shift does NOT require any markings?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

"M" is a foam pad to keep the environment out of the plastic bushings. The kit picture looks similar, but I don't think it contains K and L. Some of the bushings look like they are from a Mark 1 chassis. I would also be suspect of the large support bushing being correct. I would try to get confirmation that the kit is for a T2.5 T3 before purchasing.

As long as your K and L are not disintegrating, you don't need to replace them at this point.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Silly question but I assume that removing the linkage from the stick shift does NOT require any markings?

I am not familiar with that linkage on yours. In general if there is exactly only one way to put it back together then it does not need to be marked.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
"M" is a foam pad to keep the environment out of the plastic bushings. The kit picture looks similar, but I don't think it contains K and L. Some of the bushings look like they are from a Mark 1 chassis. I would also be suspect of the large support bushing being correct. I would try to get confirmation that the kit is for a T2.5 T3 before purchasing.

As long as your K and L are not disintegrating, you don't need to replace them at this point.

On the German forum the guy said that it looks like "J" is not there... hmmmm???

Anyway I ordered it... it is only $8 incl shipping... so....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Central bushing: early diesel shift linkage Reply with quote

If the kit is correct "J" would be the large bushing on the top L/S of the picture. mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: