Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

General block sanding of body lines question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: General block sanding of body lines question Reply with quote

This is more of a general question, not necessarily for my vw but I am currently painting my vw and a chevy nova. There is no better forum than thesamba so I figured id ask you all!

I have watched a ton of youtube videos but still have some questions on block sanding body lines. On a lot of the youtube videos, they tape the body line and then block sand. But, do you tape on top of the line? in the middle? On the bottom? Does this make sense? Or, no take and just sand carefully over the body line in an X pattern like blocking the rest of the body? I want the lines to look as straight as possible and I can see how screwing up sanding these lines would make each line look wavy or flat in places etc. How do you do it?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: General block sanding of body lines question Reply with quote

I have made sanding blocks with special shapes for this, round ones, flexible plastic, bent sheetmental, basically whatever. Find something the right shape and apply glue and there you go. Kind of a pain.
I agree hopefully they are straight enough you can avoid applying a lot of high build and doing a lot of sanding, but if you have to, then you will have to find a way.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: General block sanding of body lines question Reply with quote

I wrap a sponge with 400 grit and wet sand to get a panel as close to perfect as I can get.

I'll bet there using the tape to give them a visualization of exactly where the acute body line is if they are shaping filler. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: