Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 thing rear deck hinges seized
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mjackson74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: 74 thing rear deck hinges seized Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can use to get my hinges moving again? Im assuming its rust, any suggestions are appreciated.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 thing rear deck hinges seized Reply with quote

Spray some kroil on any place that you see a separation of pieces. Let it sit for a while and then spray it again.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 thing rear deck hinges seized Reply with quote

I've been there. When I got my '73 the left one was stuck tight. Removed it and used PB Blaster and Kroil and a heat lamp - after about a week, it started to work loose very slowly. Just be patient and don't force it . Good luck and lubricant them with each oil change with some of your used oil.

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 74 thing rear deck hinges seized Reply with quote

Ive used a vice grip with the small flat plate ends on them
to hold the lower part of the hinge steady so as not to bend them any further
then inserting a screwdriver in the hinge screw holes
swivel the hinge back and forth
this way it wont mar up the hinge
heat the hinge and try the pb blaster or wd40 etc simultaneously
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 thing rear deck hinges seized Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Spray some kroil on any place that you see a separation of pieces. Let it sit for a while and then spray it again.

This ^^^ I've done this up to three weeks on a stubborn splittie bus door hinge. They ALL give in to the power of Aerokroil eventually.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: