Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecticut VW Association 2019 Event Schedule
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Event Schedule Reply with quote

Sunday May 5, 2019 - The CVAs 29th Annual Spring Dust-off, Address: Loos & Co. junction of Rt.169 & Rt. 101, Pomfret Ct. 06259 from 9am to 3pm. This is an informal, non-judged VW gathering held rain or shine. Dash Plaques to the first 100 cars. Food available at Pizza 101 and Bakers Dozen. Please, no alcohol, loud music, vending or burnouts! For more info: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected]

Sunday June 16, 2019 - 27th Annual Bug-A-Fair will be held at the Terryville Fairgrounds, Town Hill Road on Fathers day from 9am to 3pm. 40 Show car classes for both aircooled and watercooled VWs and over 100 awards including best of show. Car registration opens at 9am, judging starts at 12 noon and awards at 3pm. The show also has a huge swap meet with over 75 vendors selling used and new VW items. Food all day Sunday provided by the Terryville Lions Club. Camping Saturday night for those who want to get a jump on the festivities. All proceeds go to the Terryville Lions Club. Directions: Route 6 Scott Road in Terryville, Ct. then two miles to Terryville Fairgrounds, 171 Town Hill Rd. For more info go to www.ctvwa.org or contact: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Jeff McBride [email protected]

Saturday July 20, 2019 -The CVAs 6th Annual FROG ROCK Gathering from Noon till 3pm, Address: 212 Pomfret Rd (Rt. 44) Eastford Ct. 06242. A social event for all VWs. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Seafood and Ice Cream available at the food stand. Next we head down the road to the Tri State Cruisers Saturday night cruise from 3 till dark at the junction of Rt.169 and Rt. 101, Pomfret Center. For more info please call: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Brent St Louis [email protected]

Saturday August 17, 2019 - CVA & CT CORSAs Air-Cooled at the Orchard Address: Lymans Orchard 32 Reeds Gap Rd. Middlefield, Ct. 06455 from 9 to 3. (Rain date Sunday August 18th) This show is open to all air-cooled Volkswagens and Corvairs. $10 for show cars, general admission FREE! No vending. For more info contact Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected]

Sunday September 8, 2019 - The CVAs 15th Annual Volks-Meet, Address: Westbrook Elks Club 142 Seaside Ave Westbrook Ct. 06498. Show is open to all VW and German cars. Dash plaques to the first 100 cars, event held rain or shine. Food provided by the Westbrook Elks Club. Directions, I-95 North / South take Exit 65, turn South onto Rt.153, turn South onto Rt.1, and turn left onto Seaside Ave. Time: 9am - 2pm, $10 for show cars, $20 swap space, general admission FREE! Check out our website for Hotel and Off Site Camping Accommodations or contact Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected] for more information.

Sunday October 20, 2019 - The CVAs 21th Annual Fall Foliage Cruise, from 9am to ??? Cruise will start at the intersection of Rt6 & Rt8 commuter parking lot next to Dunkin Donuts, 369 East Main St. Thomaston 06787. This is a rain or shine event. There will be a dinner after the cruise for those who are interested. Come and enjoy the fall colors with us. For additional info please contact: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Jeff McBride [email protected]

Sunday December 1, 2019 - The CVAs Last Hurrah Address: 401 Seaside Ave. 06498. Are you crazy enough to go to a VW event in December? Weather permitting we will be gathering again at the Westbrook Town Beach from noon to 3. Afterwards we are invited to participate in the Westbrook Tree Lighting Parade, decorating is encouraged! Contact Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 or [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected] for more info.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Is it just me or have there been progressively less events in the past 2 or 3 years?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Are the fees for camping,swap meet,etc.,for the Terryville show still the same as last year?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Thanks for the list of dates. This looks like the typical CVA event line up for many years.

67ctbug - New England is not the hottest destination for VW shows. We owners of these old cars are becoming few and far between. Yes there are people who drive from all over to go to these shows. There are just fewer people with old VWs now who can take the time to attend. I started going to these shows when I was 16 years old. I had all the free time in the world. Now i'm 31 and priorities happen. We can't attend all the events.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Thanks for the list of dates. This looks like the typical CVA event line up for many years.

67ctbug - New England is not the hottest destination for VW shows. We owners of these old cars are becoming few and far between. Yes there are people who drive from all over to go to these shows. There are just fewer people with old VWs now who can take the time to attend. I started going to these shows when I was 16 years old. I had all the free time in the world. Now i'm 31 and priorities happen. We can't attend all the events.

When the hell did you turn 31yo? Holy Cow! Shocked Shocked
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

obus wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

Yea, no shit.
But how old is Dan ??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Is it just me or have there been progressively less events in the past 2 or 3 years?

The only event that missing from the list lately, would be Litchfield. Unless you're thinking of the Norwalk vw show. The hobby is changing,air-cooled vw's are not cheap to buy anymore. Sad

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

The only event that missing from the list lately, would be Litchfield. Unless you're thinking of the Norwalk vw show. The hobby is changing,air-cooled vw's are not cheap to buy anymore. Sad

I mean go back a couple years, there is the swap and meet in May, Cardone and Daughter in June, and Marks VW night, also Litchfield, but we got that back. That's 3 shows gone. I'm not complaining, I go to every show I can and am happy that we can have them, it's just kind of sad for them to fade away. Orangebug60, I'm 16 right now, and I guess I can see it from your point of view. Right now I can pretty much go to all of the shows, but you're right, less and less people are getting VWs as they get more and more expensive so if there are less cars then whats the point of having so many shows.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Litchield and Terryville weren't ours. We were lucky enough to take the best of both and revive one show.

Cardone is still happening, but once again its not our event, it's cardones.

The May show got rolled into the Fathers day show. We dont have enough people and resources to do both, especially so close together.

Marks wasnt ours, it was their theme night and we just advertised it. We ended up getting stuck running the night.

Watch Facebook or talk to us at the shows,we do plenty of other events as a group.

We also have member only things as well.

Yes, the scene is changing from one where a large group of friends got together to enjoy the cars and people, and seems to becomming one where people in collector vehicles are looking for trophies.
There used to be 400+ cars at the big shows back in the old days
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
obus wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

Yea, no shit.

nice!!! Laughing Laughing
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Hey, ten years ago the Frog Rock show didn't exsist!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Ten years ago I was in the first grade Laughing Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
EA812 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Ten years ago I was in the first grade Laughing Laughing

That's a terrible excuse for not going to the shows! Lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

cfvwtuner wrote:
Yes, the scene is changing from one where a large group of friends got together to enjoy the cars and people, and seems to becomming one where people in collector vehicles are looking for trophies.
There used to be 400+ cars at the big shows back in the old days

I am seeing it differently I guess. In general I find there are non-stop cruise nights in the summer that never existed in my youth to the amount today. Pretty much there is one every week night within an 1hr's drive, typically less. . There are multiple Cars & Coffee events - 4 to 6 a years in the town I work in alone. A gathering type that never existed in my area as few a 2-3 years ago. Loved the diversity and early morn Saturday time frame that allows you to still enjoy the weekend. Free and you don't feel like you need a show-quality car.

FaceBook, love it or hate it,has allowed small local groups or friends to quickly organize to get together 4-7 cars. (heck even e-mail& text messaging makes an impromptu event easy to throw out there to friends).

On the first weekend in May, I have a choice between the LiMBO camp-out that then goes to the CVA event, a VW's friends camp-out that then goes to the Kittery Maine Vacationland VW club event, or a Cars & Coffee event at a mansion in Newport.

Wish I could go to all three!

Maybe a show, or shows, you used to go to are gone, but there are plenty of new events to attend too.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Slick_50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Hey guys, just want to get in on the action here. I've had the pleasure of attending the Litchfield and Terryville shows since the very early '90s, as well as every other cruise night and show in the area within a 4hr drive growing up. I was away from the scene for a few years but am now back with a vengeance. Looking forward to this season!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Nuz-z wrote:
Hey guys, just want to get in on the action here. I've had the pleasure of attending the Litchfield and Terryville shows since the very early '90s, as well as every other cruise night and show in the area within a 4hr drive growing up. I was away from the scene for a few years but am now back with a vengeance. Looking forward to this season!

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing you at some of the shows!
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

Who is going to the Dust Off?. I plan to be there in my red 71 squareback. Some of us are camping at Peppertree campground in Eastford, CT on Sat. www.peppertreecamping.com

I'm bringing a blue sweatshirt, that belongs to a volunteer at my Tfest show in Oct. 2018. The owner of the sweat shirt is from CT, but I lost track of his name. I'll have it with me.

I'm also looking for a good, used (non-leaking) Vanagon front washer reservoir if anyone has one.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
obus wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:

Yea, no shit.

I’m how old now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecticut VW Association 2019 Event Schedule Reply with quote

NEW DATE!!!!
Our last hurrah originally scheduled for Sunday Dec 1 is now rescheduled to Sunday Dec 8
The parade date has been changed due to the 1st being the thanksgiving weekend so we are changing our date to allow us to participate again in the parade

Sunday December 8,2019 - The CVAs Last Hurrah Address: 401 Seaside Ave. 06498. Are you crazy enough to go to a VW event in December? Weather permitting we will be gathering again at the Westbrook Town Beach from noon to 3. Afterwards we are invited to participate in the Westbrook Tree Lighting Parade, decorating is encouraged! Contact Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 or [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected] for more info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: