Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Carb'd turbo systems can run great if all is done in moderation.

How many guys do we see saying they want the engine QUIET, SIMPLE, a bit more power and i want to run a single carb.......

If you consider the turbo to be an excelent and compact muffler, intake silencer and intake heater that ALSO boosts your power and mileage significantly, then WHO THE HECK wouldn't want one Very Happy If we make it so you can use heater-boxes and the tailpipe come out the stock pea-shooter location...... Razz

if you want to double or triple your power that's a totally different animal.

Someone should market a mild turbo kit. A 25HP kit. I bet if u weren't greedy you could build a header that attaches to stock heater boxes where the muffler is. Go in a T25 back out through a little glass pack and out the Pea shooters. Just run like 1.5 psi and don't mod anything. Maybe a huge inlet on the carb and make sure the fuel pressure is 3#. Set timing to 28* at full advance. Blow into whatever carb is there.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

The problem with that is it would cost just about the same as making 75 more hp. And using new parts wouldn't be cheap. I mean a new turbo is going to cost nearly a grand by itself. The way those that have done it cheap is by using a used turbo and most likely a used carb. Not many people would buy a kit filled with used stuff. Big difference between $50 and $1000. And that's just the turbo.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

modok wrote:

How many guys do we see saying they want the engine QUIET, SIMPLE, a bit more power and i want to run a single carb.......

If you consider the turbo to be an excelent and compact muffler, intake silencer and intake heater that ALSO boosts your power and mileage significantly, then WHO THE HECK wouldn't want one Very Happy If we make it so you can use heater-boxes and the tailpipe come out the stock pea-shooter location...... Razz

That is how I started but the easy HP gain is very seductive and it's very hard to resist it's allure!

That is also how all the auto manufacturers started too but customers wanted more. Early factory turbos didn't have that high of boost pressures or HP gains.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
modok wrote:

Someone should market a mild turbo kit. A 25HP kit. I bet if u weren't greedy you could build a header that attaches to stock heater boxes where the muffler is. Go in a T25 back out through a little glass pack and out the Pea shooters. Just run like 1.5 psi and don't mod anything. Maybe a huge inlet on the carb and make sure the fuel pressure is 3#. Set timing to 28* at full advance. Suck through whatever carb is there.

There fixed the wording for you!!!

Sorry! Couldn't resist... Twisted Evil

Just joking!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
Maddward wrote:
. I didn't mean for this thread to be a draw through/blow through argument.

almost every turbo thread I've seen turns into either a blow vs. draw through, or carb vs. FI... it's a shame too because everyone is so focused on telling the other guy what doesn't work that we miss out on learning how someone did get something to work.

Agreed! We seem to have minds like steel traps. Once we fine something that works for us then there is no other way it could possibly work any other way for anyone else - ever!

On the subject of learning - I gave up on gasoline with all its detonation issues and switched to propane on my turbo project. What a breath of fresh air! A very simple fuel system and a very forgiving fuel. Very compatible with turbocharging!
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Definetly american style system Razz Laughing
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Is there some sort or octain conversion for propane? How do you know where to start with a tune?
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
richardcraineum wrote:
Maddward wrote:
. I didn't mean for this thread to be a draw through/blow through argument.

almost every turbo thread I've seen turns into either a blow vs. draw through, or carb vs. FI... it's a shame too because everyone is so focused on telling the other guy what doesn't work that we miss out on learning how someone did get something to work.

Agreed! We seem to have minds like steel traps. Once we fine something that works for us then there is no other way it could possibly work any other way for anyone else - ever!

On the subject of learning - I gave up on gasoline with all its detonation issues and switched to propane on my turbo project. What a breath of fresh air! A very simple fuel system and a very forgiving fuel. Very compatible with turbocharging!

The best thing about LP is your never without air for tires and such. It's extremely convenient. I see my friends getting their air compressor stolen all the time, but no one wants my propane bottle. It does freak folks out when you break out the air tools.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

isn't the propane a form of injection and not subject to flood at steep angles like a gas carb is? I thought I read of some rock crawlers running propane for this reason?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Yeah they always turn to one design VS another, but that's because you see something a little different and you think about it, gives you some new idea. That's what I really always enjoyed about car shows ect, tho a lot of times these days I don't see much thought provoking Crying or Very sad

If you run liquid/mist through a compressor or supercharger, it has a great direct cooling action. Propane....does not, so if used for a dwarthrough system it does solve one common problem but loses an advantage. You could still use methanol in there for cooling/enrichment, skys the limit but I don't like dual fuel systems much myself because there more chance of oops.
But I do like thinking about it different ways.

This idea, makes me think for instance of how you could have a turbo, but rely on the turbo LESS. I heard YEARS ago a turbo likes long gears.....and that's kinda true, in a lot of cases.
BUT, how bout this: Run a big echaust housing so it won't spool pre-maturely cruising the highway, but use a LOW second gear, so it will hit go through second QUICK and hit hard in third. Still blazing acceleration but done a different way Very Happy
Close ratio 1/2 and wide 3/4.....the OPPOSITE of usual. I'd love it. If you never drove one with a low second your missing out.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Is there some sort or octain conversion for propane? How do you know where to start with a tune?

Propane has an octane equivalency of 120 which I believe is the same as alcohol. Ideal Naturally aspired C/R with propane is 12/1 or even 13/1. I was running 9.5/1 and with gas I was detonating at anywhere from 8 to 11 psi boost depending on the weather. With propane detonation didn't start till 15 psi in the summer and was virtually non existent right up to 20 psi at -30 * C. Which tells me I could have benefited by adding an intercooler and/or water injection.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
isn't the propane a form of injection and not subject to flood at steep angles like a gas carb is? I thought I read of some rock crawlers running propane for this reason?

No not injection, you run an evaporator before the carb and no liquid propane should ever enter the carb. This means there is no float chamber or float in the system therefore it is not subject to steep angles and will even run with the car inverted.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If you run liquid/mist through a compressor or supercharger, it has a great direct cooling action. Propane....does not, so if used for a dwarthrough system it does solve one common problem but loses an advantage.

Yes and no!

- No because propane is a excellent refrigerant. We use it in the natural gas processing plants as a refrigerant to cool the gas to -30*F so that the moisture will drop out. This brings the gas to "dry sales" quality to be shipped via pipeline to your house. It works better than Freon or Ammonia but is flammable so cannot be used in appliances where people live.

- Yes because in automotive application the temperature drop that happens when a liquid changes state to a gas( gasoline and alcohol do the same but right in the carb)is taken care of in the evaporator therefore - no carb icing.

Now - if the evaporator fails or is overwhelmed by too much volume and delivers raw liquid propane to the carb - you bet your boots it will ice off big time, quick and with a vengeance! Even on a hot summer day!
modok wrote:
I don't like dual fuel systems much myself because there more chance of oops.

I do not/will not use a dual gas/propane system. The fuels are so different that you cannot tune an engine to run properly on both. It ends up being a compromise that works poorly on either one. A total dog!

modok wrote:
I heard YEARS ago a turbo likes long gears.....and that's kinda true, in a lot of cases.

When I turbo-ed my Rabbit I suddenly found that 1st gear was useless except for shunting around in parking lots. In 4th gear I ran out of revs while still winding up in the on-ramp before the highway. I found a 5 speed from a newer Rabbit that helped the highway cruising but 1st is still far too low.

modok wrote:
Run a big echaust housing so it won't spool pre-maturely cruising the highway.

Anyone with a boost gauge can tell you that boost pressure is directly related to gas pedal pressure. You can run your engine right up to 5000rpm without going into boost if you are easy on the loud pedal. Cruising at highway speeds 2000 to 3000 rpm should not put you into boost unless you have a tiny engine in a big heavy car.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

a very light bug/buggy is worst case scenario for trying to spool itself on the highway IMO. This is because
-exhaust path to turbo is LONG thus an unfortunate amount of lag from tubes heating up.

-It's so light you are fighting air resistance more than weight at most higher speeds, and you can't overgear it much or the cooling fan isn't going fast enough. With most cars radiators and intercoolers work FAR better at speed, which allows you to get away with a lot more sin, but.... not ours.

-If it has enough power/weight it will accelerate fast, and outrun the turbo in the low gears.
interestingly, the more rapid the acceleration becomes, the more "lag" it has, not that it has more lag, it's accelerating faster than the turbo Shocked

So, maybe it's not a problem for you at this time....but it can happen, and it does happen. Depends what you want. some people want a streetable race car, some want a raceable street car. I would not find it acceptable if adding a turbo to my buggy lowered my sustainable top speed.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

At 3000 rpm on the freeway I'm at 20 hg's of vaccuum. Just like NA.
Yes, turbos love to be bogged. I have 3:88's in mine and I only boost in 3rd and 4th. I'm wasting my time in 2nd, because I'd rather short shift and get it in 3rd. Then I've got one hell of a long pull in 3rd. That's when we change lane position.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

yeah that third gear is....feels me like falling. it's crazy!!
Each setup has it's owns quirks and IMO, just work on it, a lot can be done. To be honest I THOUGHT a drawthough was a stupid idea, until I saw a few done right and IN FACT the street manners are quite good if you can get the details right. Grass is always greener on the other side but it isn't, example:
Drawthough you shift gears the compressor is spinning in a vacuum...... Blowthough when you shift gears your still pumping air slowing down the turbo. So maybe I'm as guilty as anybody. I should build the engine THEN choose the gears based on how it actually drives, but. you get the idea. One step at a time, you get far......and ultimately one setup may end up far apart from another. One system needs a timing map like the rocky mountains....another just likes 28 degrees Razz
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Now there is a difference I have never thought about!

In a draw through at cruising your throttle plate upstream of the compressor is going to keep you in a vacuum condition regardless of what the turbo is trying to do. Your foot has direct control over the boost pressure but not turbine speed. The turbo at cruise is free wheeling not causing much extra back pressure on the engine.

On a blow through at part throttle the throttle plate is holding back compressor pressure and the turbo could be loaded even at cruise. This would increase exhaust back pressure, heat up the intake air, reducing engine efficiency and reducing fuel economy.

Is that where you were going with the larger housing and later boost Modoc?

If this is the case then the same would apply with fuel injection depending on where the throttle body was placed, upstream or downstream of the compressor.

Now that I think of it, that could be the reason for the different "feel" between my Rabbit and my wife's Subaru. With a quick shift on the Rabbit you get a kick in the butt as that free wheeling turbo grabs air again and turns it's momentum into boost. The Suby with it's throttle body downstream doesn't do that because the turbo is slowed down when you release the throttle to shift and has to build speed again.

Make sense?

Last edited by oprn on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 am; edited 3 times in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:

Yes! My experience too. Now I'm thinking it's the draw through set up only that acts that way.

Do any of you blow through guys have part throttle observations to share? I suppose it would depend on where your vacuum gauge take off port is in the system.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

Yes! My experience too. Now I'm thinking it's the draw through set up only that acts that way.

Do any of you blow through guys have part throttle observations to share? I suppose it would depend on where your vacuum gauge take off port is in the system.

that's why you "have to" (should) run a blow off valve on a blow through. When pressure between the turbo and butterflies gets a little higher than pressure under the butterflies it releases air so the turbo keeps spinning spooled up. On my motor cruising gently at highway speed the vaccum is all pushed out but no boost is built. So it's right there on tap when you so much as touch the throttle or loose dirt.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

I run the T04B35 cb performance used to sell. It may be a touch small for my 2332. It spoools up in neutral at about 3500 rpm and if you get over 3000 driving in high gear it builds boost even if your trying to baby it.
I've got pretty short gears for the sand. I don't have trouble boosting in low gears even since they are short. The BOV makes it where you don't start over when you shift.
Keep in mind that mine is basically a drag motor that's had the compression dropped and the cam duration tightened some for the turbo. It's amazing how much air that thing pumps then a more traditional turbo motor with little heads and cam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: