Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

QSC compression height solved?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

been trying to find recent info and have been unsuccessful. i'm trying to budget pistons + cylinders for a 2.1L... has the QSC compression height been resolved so they are now 36.7mm or are they still a low compression fit?

other than the expensive but good JE forged set from GoWesty, a tempting option, is there a budget set with the correct compression height?

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

Rocky Jennings sells a set of rods that is bushed out to compensate for the low compression height. He also sells the pistons with better rings and balanced to match.

Hans
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

thanks for the info, Hans.

i see AA Pistons claims the correct compression height:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AA-Piston-Cylinder-Se...-075dp.htm

any issue with the AA sets?

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
thanks for the info, Hans.

i see AA Pistons claims the correct compression height:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AA-Piston-Cylinder-Se...-075dp.htm

any issue with the AA sets?

-dan

AA and QSC cylinders can be questionable. I don't know if RJE maps the cylinders for you.. but with either set you should spend some time with an inside mic or bore guage. I have beat up both their pistons, had one failure on an AA but I had shaved the top and most likely exposed a casting flaw. AA pistons do have the proper pin height and stock dish volume.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

i wonder if a person would be better off just having a local machinist bore out the OEM cylinders to 95.5 to match the 2200cc kits? metallurgy is likely better and has been 'pre-stress tested'. for the price, a person can afford to just scrap/eBay the AA cylinders just to get the pistons.

-dan
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i wonder if a person would be better off just having a local machinist bore out the OEM cylinders to 95.5 to match the 2200cc kits? metallurgy is likely better and has been 'pre-stress tested'. for the price, a person can afford to just scrap/eBay the AA cylinders just to get the pistons.

-dan

I had some stockers bored out for QSC 96mm's on my 2.4 build.. but it wasn't cheap and the shop that did it said they wouldn't do it again... Very hard cylinders that took too many passes with their machine. Not to say that another shop couldn't do it better but I don't have experience. Mine were .0000" perfect when bored and the same 12000 miles later.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

I too question the quality of QSC pistons, not due to any personal experience, but the fact they got the piston pin height wrong, even if once upon a time, does not lend itself to trust.

The GoWesty JE piston set is currently $795.00 (it debuted at $695.00, a bit over a year ago after they started selling it separately from the 2.2 rebuild kit).

I wonder how much it is to have JE make a custom set of pistons, how hard it is to design them(in deviation if any from the factory dish), and how customized the GoWesty JE piston set is.

It may be a pipe dream but if some dedicated WBX rebuilders that all wanted to go 2.2 we could design a set and have a batch made up. Having the factory cylinders bored to 2200cc at a local machine shop seems like it would be easy. I know the poster above had trouble but he bored out to 2400cc.

Just thinking out loud. If I could have any piston set appear in front of me it would be a new set of DJ pistons for the higher compression.

-Rob
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
I too question the quality of QSC pistons, not due to any personal experience, but the fact they got the piston pin height wrong, even if once upon a time, does not lend itself to trust.

The GoWesty JE piston set is currently $795.00 (it debuted at $695.00, a bit over a year ago after they started selling it separately from the 2.2 rebuild kit).

I wonder how much it is to have JE make a custom set of pistons, how hard it is to design them(in deviation if any from the factory dish), and how customized the GoWesty JE piston set is.

It may be a pipe dream but if some dedicated WBX rebuilders that all wanted to go 2.2 we could design a set and have a batch made up. Having the factory cylinders bored to 2200cc at a local machine shop seems like it would be easy. I know the poster above had trouble but he bored out to 2400cc.

Just thinking out loud. If I could have any piston set appear in front of me it would be a new set of DJ pistons for the higher compression.

-Rob

96mm is 96mm.. the 2.4 comes from longer stroke coupled with the 2 extra mm of bore. The AA's are the only "out of the box" solution for a slightly larger bore with stock compression ratios. If you buy QSC's then you need longer stroke, longer rods... blah blah blah.. the list goes on.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Are you aware of why the shop had such difficulty boring out the cylinders? To the layman it seems theoretically much easier than your standard engine block.

-Rob
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

Not knowing how they did it you can only guess. it would be a chore to hone them out without first boring close to size. To hone them by hand without a fixture would take hours each.

To bore the cylinder a fixture to hold it would have to be made, and that would cost quite a bit to make.
After it was made, I expect the cost would be 50$ per cylinder and for me it would be easy job, using amc C4 bed mill and ck-10 No fins in the way! What a treat.
Is that expensive or cheap? I don't know. The motorcycle guys think it's a bargain.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: QSC compression height solved? Reply with quote

I had this done by a local Moto mfg shop. One who specializes in valve train performance and custom parts. Boring cylinders was not their bread and butter it was more of a pet project. The machinist said the OE cyl material was very hard and if he tried to bore it like other jugs it would get too hot and bore at a taper due to the uneven expansion. Therefore it took more of his time for each one. I paid them about $70 a bore if I remember correctly. There was a shop in Sonoma that would charge $40 or so for each one but convenience won out for me. As I mentioned, they turned out .0000" perfect so I'm happy. After that however I have build several 2.2's (2178 actually) using AA's I just have to go through several sets to come out with 4 good cyl's and even then they are not perfect.. still outside VW specs but not too bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: