Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I put this shifter bushing on and it seems too small. I checked the gallery and saw similar issues. It seems like this will wear prematurely. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, if it is one?
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I just did that bushing on the 65 Kombi I put the floor in, I smeared a bunch of moly grease all over the the shifter tube and the bushing and got it in. It ends up wearing the paint off anyways so maybe take a strip of sandpaper and take it down to bare metal just in the area that it rides on then cover it in the grease of your choice... anti seize worked well on my truck but I couldn't find it in my garage so I used the moly on the kombi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I put this shifter bushing on and it seems too small. I checked the gallery and saw similar issues. It seems like this will wear prematurely. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, if it is one?
Thanks

Quite sure I inserted the busing in the bracket then slid them up the tube and put the steel ring on the bushing last.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Thanks

what's going to wear the bushing is all that rust pitting on the shift rod.
the gap in the bushing is typical, although it does seem a bit wider than normal. find a genuine VW bushing.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
The beveled spacer appears to be the same thickness as the step. Here’s the drawing I got from the Bentley manual:

Item 5 from the 1500 side looks to me to be that beveled spacer. I would appreciate any feedback.

looks like you have the correct oil deflector washer based on the diagram and the way yours is set up in your initial pic looks right. i'll delete my posting, as it is not applicable to your bus.
perhaps someone who has done more of the weirdo 1500 reduction boxes can chime in. it's been a while since i've taken one apart or worked on that particular style.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

RGB discussion above:
Yes, I wasn't 100% sure from the original posts but his assembly looked like the 63-only rear end stuff, which has a few unique pieces.

I have taken mine apart before but unfortunately I didn't take very many photos so I would go off any shop or parts diagrams you can view.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I just did this a couple days ago. I put the bushing in the bracket, then a bit of grease on the rod, then slid the rod into the bushing and slid it up the rod into position. Worked fine, very little force required. I was also worried about the gap, but it closes up considerably once it’s in the bracket with the rod through it. I effed up the metal ring, so I’ll have to figure out something else.

Burlyhammer wrote:
Thanks

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jon. You should consider cutting out that pitted up area on the shift rod and replacing it with new, smooth metal.

I don't see any new bushing lasting long sliding over that area, even greased.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Thanks

Apart from the rod, does that bracket the bushing goes into look tweaked to anyone else?
The area with the hole for the bushing
It should be flat and at a nice right angle
NOS bracket from the Gallery, on the left:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Yes, that should be flat and at a right angle.

When I got mine in 1988 the shift rod was all rusty and the bracket was bent and had already cracked. The fire department forgot to lube the shift rod.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

for what its worth this is off my '63 and I'm pretty sure its original. the bus has low miles.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
The beveled spacer appears to be the same thickness as the step. Here’s the drawing I got from the Bentley manual:

Item 5 from the 1500 side looks to me to be that beveled spacer. I would appreciate any feedback.

looks like you have the correct oil deflector washer based on the diagram and the way yours is set up in your initial pic looks right. i'll delete my posting, as it is not applicable to your bus.
perhaps someone who has done more of the weirdo 1500 reduction boxes can chime in. it's been a while since i've taken one apart or worked on that particular style.

I appreciate your input. It seems strange to have this setup for such a limited run with minimal documentation. I guess they were always looking to improve things.
Thanks Hazetguy
EverettB wrote:
RGB discussion above:
Yes, I wasn't 100% sure from the original posts but his assembly looked like the 63-only rear end stuff, which has a few unique pieces.

I have taken mine apart before but unfortunately I didn't take very many photos so I would go off any shop or parts diagrams you can view.

My friend J.P. has the 1963 shop manual. He looked up the 1500 option, and confirmed that I had the parts in the proper order. I will take a few photos of the configuration before I reassemble the boxes.
Thanks Everett
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input on my shift rod and bushing. First of all, the bracket that holds the bushing was bent:

The shift rod itself is pitted, but not rusty. I sand blasted it, master coated it, primered two coats, and painted two coats. I think the problem was too much paint. I am going to grease it well and put it in as is for now. I was PMed regarding a nice looking 2 piece brass bushing. I may go that route if/when this one fails:

I bought the upgraded accelerator pedal lever kit. It is similar to the Buttys Bits one. I think this one has a smaller bearing. The pictures I saw of it showed it bolted to the outside of the bracket under the floor:

This did not work for me. The linkage angle was extreme. I think it would saw through the grommet, floor mat quickly. I ended up setting it up where the Buttys one goes. It is better, but I had to put the top end of the linkage through the accelerator pedal from the outside. It works great though. I also got a greaseable E Brake pivot pin from Jeremy H.

I plumbed up the brake hard lines. I bought a Wolfgang dual circuit MC kit from a swap meet last year. The spacer was missing. I was hoping I would not need it. I made a new push rod shorter than the OG one, but the resivior hits the cross member, and the pedal linkage hits the MC:

I put some nuts in for temporary spacers while I plumbed up the lines:

Also, with the second brake light switch on the MC and the spacer I will have to hack my pedal pan if I use it. I really don't want to cut it up. We will see...
Probably didn't need to buff this:

My son and I put the main wire harness in. We soldered all of the spade connectors to the wires beforehand:

My goal was to do everything I could while the bus was still on the rotisserie. We also put the beam in:

We decided that we still had some time last night, so we jacked up the bus and put it on jack stands. We left the front section of the rotisserie on for stability, and took off the back half so we could get the transaxle in:

We made major progress!
Lots of parts to build up the boxes and brakes:

Always remember:
Put the stub axle in before the top outer axle bearing!
Put the outer stub axle bearing on after the cover goes on!
Put the spacer in!
Anyway, we still made some progress:

The other side is done minus the brakes. Maybe tomorrow.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Great progress, way to go.
I especially like the overspray in the wheel wells, looks much more factory than if everything was taped off and had crisp edges.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Great progress, way to go.
I especially like the overspray in the wheel wells, looks much more factory than if everything was taped off and had crisp edges.

That was the plan. The bus had that overspray originally, but most of that metal was replaced.
Thanks
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Such a visually pleasing picture. Hopefully we can put the wheels on this week!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Such a visually pleasing picture. Hopefully we can put the wheels on this week!

There’s only a few parts left on that table. The back wheels will be on tomorrow 😁
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Exciting times. Amazing transformation!
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Exciting times. Amazing transformation!

Totally! My parts pile is starting to shrink.
Thanks Stan.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 86

Jump to: