Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Peecee69,
I thought this was the best use for the bus. It still has lots of usable parts for future use. It seemed we peeled the husk when it came apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Peecee69,
I thought this was the best use for the bus. It still has lots of usable parts for future use. It seemed we peeled the husk when it came apart.

Oh yeah! That's really cool, no doubt. Although I'm sure at some point, someone will come by your garage, see those parts, and want them for the "project" they're working on! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

peecee69,
I would feel guilty using something as a decoration that someone could use to help their project along. I would have to oblige. Maybe that would help cut down on my hoarding.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

While I am still trying to decide what to do about the front frame issues, I decided to remove the fuel tank and transaxle. I broke 1 bolt while removing one of the fuel tank straps. There was enough thread sticking out so I was able to double nut it, and save from drilling and tapping.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a nice sized hole in the tank with alot of rust coming out.

I thought I had gotten al of the acorns out when I cleaned out the inside, but found this stash when I got the tank out.

When I pulled the tank out it felt like it was full of rust. When I looked through the rust hole, I saw this:

Nothing inside ran around, but just to be safe, I think I may put this tank up in a tree. I don't want to take someones home away.

I also pulled the transaxle. It does not appear that it has ever been out. The shocks had undercoating on them, so I am thinking they are original. All of the bolts came out easy(after using a 2' breaker bar to get them started) Even the shift coupler came apart without much work. The only casulties were the two hard brake line ends, and 1 trans/motor mount bolt.

I did find another place that needs welding:

I still have not done any going back together work, but it felt like a productive couple of hours spent before going to work.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

It looks like the undercoating did it's job in a lot of places. It has plenty of crust but the solid areas look really solid.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I did find another place that needs welding:

You found another place that needs welding? Say it ain't so! We should start a rust club. Beautiful photos.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Pinetops,

everywhere where the undercoating is stuck to metal, the metal looks great. Even the paint looks good. When I first looked underneath it it looked very crusty. Turns out it was only partially crusty. No problem

Kurt,

I think the only areas that don't need welding are the areas that are completely gone.

I am going to attempt to clean out the engine bay this afternoon after work.

Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

After directions from Glideking and Clara, I was able to determine that my front beam and transaxle are original (I believe, I don't have a birth certificate yet) At the same time I remembered that the torsion arms were still on the drivers side when I found the bus. Only the spindle and brake drum were missing. I was concerned that the beam might be damaged, although I could not see anything. I started tearing down the beam and found the bolt holding the swing lever on to the swing lever pin was damaged. It came out easy, so I will have to check the threads in the swing lever. Hopefully only the bolt was damaged.

When I took the torsion arms off the passenger side, the lower torsion leaves pressed to one side.
t

None of the leaves were broken. After tearing down the beam and cleaning it up some, I put a straight edge on it.

The top beam was straight, but the bottom one is off slightly. I am not sure what to do about this. I want to use it if possible since came with the bus.

Anyway, I did get a bunch of the engine bay cleaned up. It is amazing how solid the non rusty areas are. I still have some more cleaning to do, plus a little bit of metal work. I am going to jump into that soon.
Here is the mostly cleaned engine bay:

glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Since we are sharing 1963 projects. Our stub axles and rear brake drums are one year only. Stub axles are longer than the year before but still the same small nut. Our brake drums are larger like the year after but with smaller axle. Later shoes will fit the front and rear. Hopefully your brake drums are not much over 250mm. Earlier brake drums were 230mm.

Our front brakes are a unique one year only combination of parts. Luckily they are components common to earlier and later split buses. The link pins are common to earlier busses. The spindles are common to later buses with a smaller front nut. Yup, front nuts got smaller and rear nuts got bigger. 1963 correct spindles can be rebuilt by combining common parts. front drums and shoes are the same as later.

What did you use to clean your bus?
Kurt
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Kurt,

I am glad you are working at the same time on the same year bus as me. It has been very helpful. I have not examined my rear drums yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. Unfortunately on the front end, the passenger side spindle came with the bus so I am thinking it is original. The drivers side came off a different bus. I guess I need to start looking. I used paper towels, scotch brite, fine steel wool, a putty knife, screw driver, 2 different size pry bars, two different size small ball peen hammers, and a chipping hammer. I also used glass cleaner and Simple Green. If you look close at the paint I uncovered, you may see some little black specks from where I tap the undercoating with a hammer. Alot of times, it pops right off. I did all of the cleaning today. I spent 12 hours in the garage. 1 hour with the beam, and the rest cleaning the engine bay. Good times.

Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Kurt,

Here is my arsenal:

This morning I also used mineral spirits to wipe everything down. It works good to clean up the tiny bits of undercoating left over. I still need to clean up the fuel tank area and fender areas.

I started working on the battery tray area as well. I'm pretty sure I will need a battery tray:

As bad as it is, It could be worse.

I'm not sure if I will replace the corner, or just the rusty parts. I would like to keep as much as possible.

I also started pulling the right front drum off the spindle. I decided to not break anything and wait until I have a drum puller.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
After directions from Glideking and Clara, I was able to determine that my front beam and transaxle are original (I believe, I don't have a birth certificate yet)

Unreal how clean you got all that engine bay and under carriage.
27 th day of the
11 th month
2 nd shift
3 = 1963

Cast November 27th, 1963, second shift. No Thanksgiving for Germans.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
27 th day of the
11 th month
2 nd shift
3 = 1963

that's why we are all so skinny, we only pig out on christmas

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
After directions from Glideking and Clara, I was able to determine that my front beam and transaxle are original (I believe, I don't have a birth certificate yet)

27 th day of the
11 th month
2 nd shift
3 = 1963

The Mike dale number is a 6. Isn't that the month (June?)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

27 th day of the
11 th month
2 nd shift
3 = 1963

Middle not Mike dale. Sorry auto correct.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Yes you are correct. I thought it looked to be an 11. So June which makes it a late '63. Cool.

Burlyhammer wrote:
Middle not Mike dale. Sorry auto correct.

Yes, middle is month of cast date. So nevermind the Thanksgiving and go graduate.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks for showing your cleaning tools. I was hoping you had an easy method like using hot water in a gas powered pressure washer and it only took a few minutes.

You know all that grease and oil was what kept it from rusting. It is an indoor bus from now on.
Kurt
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

...the bottom one is off slightly.

Man that looks like it hit a serious rut or curb with a lot of force.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL,
I was told that it ran over a broken utility pole. I am wondering if it can be straightened.
Thanks
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
BarryL,
I was told that it ran over a broken utility pole. I am wondering if it can be straightened.
Thanks

A professional alignment shop will be able to set it right. Where I live it is True Line in El Cajon, California. Thing is it might cost boo-coo but since it is OG it may be worth it to you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 86

Jump to: