Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Dude, unreal.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
Dude, unreal.

I am starting to run out of rust! I cleaned up the window openings after I took the photos I posted. It looks better, I swear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
The roof is all one piece again. There is still a bunch of grinding needing to be done, as well as man ironing the seams. The window channels are all done on the passenger side too. I am trying to finish the rust repair on the passenger side, so I started on the channel around the cargo doors. This area loos bad, and in places is bad, but the repairs are under way:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great progress sir Shocked
This repair is exactly the thing I keep pushing forward, but you're making it look easier Laughing
Is the channel only attached by spotwelds on the back or also on the 'bottom'?
Btw, KF provides this part (KF545) but I think I'll first try to save the original. Mine is not rusted through I think (hope).
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
The roof is all one piece again. There is still a bunch of grinding needing to be done, as well as man ironing the seams. The window channels are all done on the passenger side too. I am trying to finish the rust repair on the passenger side, so I started on the channel around the cargo doors. This area loos bad, and in places is bad, but the repairs are under way:

Great progress sir Shocked
This repair is exactly the thing I keep pushing forward, but you're making it look easier Laughing
Is the channel only attached by spotwelds on the back or also on the 'bottom'?
Btw, KF provides this part (KF545) but I think I'll first try to save the original. Mine is not rusted through I think (hope).

There are two pieces. The inside piece is spot welded to the opening, then the cap is welded to the inside piece. I thought about going with a new KF one, but I’m only going to replace a few sections, and I have a donor to use. This area is in rough shape. I put it off as long as I could. If I get this area done the passenger side will be rust free. 😁
Good luck with your project.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

slowly but surely, eradicating that rust :2gunfire:
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
slowly but surely, eradicating that rust :2gunfire:

Heck yeah. I hope it doesn't end up like my house. By the time I finished building it, the first room I started with needed to be remodeled. Shocked
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I “finished” the rust repair other than grinding and blending on the passenger side, and moved on to the drivers side (I still need to fix all of the doors). The only rust is around a few of the windows and the drivers side windshield.
Thanks for all of the help and input along the way with our project! Thesamba community is incredible. Thank you Everett for making Thesamba possible. I wonder how many VWs have been saved because of this site?
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Dave, what you have done to save this but is incredible. You are an inspiration to the vw community.

Merry Christmas!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Killing it man! Applause Applause

Hope you take a break for Christmas!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

obus wrote:

Reallllly. Time stamp is: Posted: December 25th, 2018 2:36 am. Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

“Running out of rust”
I like the sound of that! I welded the holes shut in my windows exactly the same as you, Dave! Way to keep on it! Seems to me that all those small jobs in the ending take wayyyy longer then I expected lol.
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Still one of my favorite builds!
Excellent work as always!

You are helping me keep my sanity while I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
obus wrote:

Reallllly. Time stamp is: Posted: December 25th, 2018 2:36 am. Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection

I only went out to the shop once on Christmas day, but did not do any actual work on the bus. I did consider it, though.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
“Running out of rust”
I like the sound of that! I welded the holes shut in my windows exactly the same as you, Dave! Way to keep on it! Seems to me that all those small jobs in the ending take wayyyy longer then I expected lol.

I did come across 1 window opening that does not need any welding. Even the pop out hinge works! In the same breath, I found more areas on the other windows that need additional repairs. Still getting closer, though.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Fifty-Eight Rag wrote:
Still one of my favorite builds!
Excellent work as always!

You are helping me keep my sanity while I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I'm glad one of us is keeping their sanity. (haha) I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back to that truck!
Thank you, and take care
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
BarryL wrote:
obus wrote:

I only went out to the shop once on Christmas day, but did not do any actual work on the bus. I did consider it, though.

hard to keep away
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
BarryL wrote:
obus wrote:

hard to keep away

Ever since I missed my deadline, I stopped setting my alarm in the morning. Sometimes I don't even make it out to the shop until 4:30 Wink
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Skim wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
BarryL wrote:
obus wrote:

hard to keep away

Ever since I missed my deadline, I stopped setting my alarm in the morning. Sometimes I don't even make it out to the shop until 4:30 Wink

I've missed 3 "deadlines". Funny how these projects seem to snowball.
Very Happy

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the dash on this bus lately. The passenger side is decent, but the drivers side has a bunch of missing paint. I spent 5 minutes with some scotch brite and simple green. It looks alot better, but still a little too rough. I need to paint the floor and seat pedestals, as well as the cargo area, so I will probably paint it. I just want to keep as much OG paint as possible. Any opinions or ideas?

These photos are of the three pop out window openings I will be working on this weekend. The rearmost window does not need any welding, but the forward two will need some patching:

The corner window and rear fixed window are done:
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Cut out the rust and fitted in some new metal in the two drivers side pop out window openings needing repair this morning:

I still have to finish welding these up, then onto the drivers side windshield:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 86

Jump to: