Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

It has been almost 2 months since I did any work to this bus because:
Excuse
Reason
Reason
Excuse
Excuse
We have been doing stuff though, and have been looking and talking about this one every day. Junior is pressing me to get back to it and we will soon. The bus has been moved a few times and now has become a storage shed for another project. The reason for this post is to say happy birthday to our bus and hopefully we will be on the road before the next one. Happy birthday
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

wow respect man
i would not have the knowledge and courage to start
such a BIG project Shocked
Great work 👍🏼
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Kdavid,
Thanks for the kind words. It is definitely a work in progress and I am learning as I go. My inspiration is my son wanting to drive it, and also nay sayers thinking it should be scrapped. I figure if it can go together the first time, it can come apart and go back together again. I have had help of Mother Nature getting it apart. I am hoping to start pecking away on it again in the next few weeks, then hitting it hard this winter. The plan is to have it drive-able next year.
Thanks,
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Seeing what you have done for it this far, I can see you have this one beat no problem. Stay motivated brother. Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim,
I've been watching your fast pace and quality progress and picking up new tactics and techniques for the restart attack. Your multiple daily updates are pushing me to get back to it. I am trying to finish up another project and move it out so I can focus on this beast.
Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I am close to jumping back on this. I have been reading a lot of threads and seen a lot of mind blowing vehicles and some amazing workmanship. There's a lot of inspirational material out there.
I have collected a few parts for the bus this summer. This one showed up today. I now have all of the trim. I got this from Ritchie's Garage in Jersey.

I am having conscience issues with it because it is NOS. I now have a California door with some Jersey trim going on my backwoods bus. Thanks Ritchie
Good times
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Cool piece, use it!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
This one showed up today. I now have all of the trim. I got this from Ritchie's Garage in Jersey.

Stick it here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=286915
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

nice wall hanger moped!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The lady I got the moped from was confused when I asked her if it was for sale. I like it.
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I thought you took a picture of My bus roof...lol. What's your plans with the roof?

1961 Standard
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Brokevwguy,

My plan is to cut out the bad parts and weld in new pieces. I have a spare roof that has the same contours, so I thought I would use that. If it looks like it won't turn out good, then I will have to come up with a new plan. Originally I was going to turn it in to a 23 window, but my son talked me down. It was a close call.

Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool piece, use it!

Everett,
I'm definitely going to use it. It may be the last piece put on the us, but it will be used.
Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
nice wall hanger moped!

vwberalles,
I had never seen that forum before. I will post some photos of the purse there. I think Ritchie's Garage had more purses of the trim available. It's cool how parts keep surfacing. I wonder what else is out there?
Thanks,
Dave
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I just got these inner doglegs this week from a VW friend down south (New Hampshire) I still need a few more pieces but am getting there.
Thanks Justin
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Another recent acquisition for the bus was a passenger front seat. The bus came with both front seats but they are very rough. I was going to attempt to make them usable, but a friend came up with a really dry passenger seat. It is nice. I will keep an eye out for a driver side seat, but I think the one I have now can be saved.

Thanks Nate
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Wow that is a nice seat you picked up. Looks like all it needs is a good scrubbin.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Wow that is a nice seat you picked up. Looks like all it needs is a good scrubbin.

Skim,
The covers are on good shape. I think they will definitely clean up well. I will probably change them to the earlier style leatherette that came with the bus eventually. That is a long way down the road though.
Thanks,
Dave
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Hey, Dave. I just got caught up on your thread. Outstanding work so far!! Seeing your frame completely disassembed, all the surface rust inside. It makes me nervous about the donors I just welded on mine. The fact we're both named Dave and both have the entire front frames cut off our buses at the same time is kinda neat! I have yet to catch fire, but Ive had a cut off wheel explode on me a few times. Usually happens when im using it in a reverse fashion, trying to wedge into a bad area to nip just a tiny unreachable cut.

I like how you've also kept us up to speed on the weather up there. Maine is the only east coast state ive never been to. I almost went there just because while traveling to Vermont for a bus..

Now that you've had a few months off from that project does it make it hard to hop back on it? If I get my hands on something else, the current project gets put on the backburner. Your bus seems like a very worthwhile project and you're fixing it correctly. Nice job on the braces too! Mine was so twisted and turned and warped and bent that bracing it was senseless. Ive got two solid splits at my shop to take measurements from. I believe im within 1/16" tolerance so far. Best of luck on yours. Lets see some updates soon!!
Cheers,
Dave Leroux
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
Hey, Dave. I just got caught up on your thread. Outstanding work so far!! Seeing your frame completely disassembed, all the surface rust inside. It makes me nervous about the donors I just welded on mine. The fact we're both named Dave and both have the entire front frames cut off our buses at the same time is kinda neat! I have yet to catch fire, but Ive had a cut off wheel explode on me a few times. Usually happens when im using it in a reverse fashion, trying to wedge into a bad area to nip just a tiny unreachable cut.

I like how you've also kept us up to speed on the weather up there. Maine is the only east coast state ive never been to. I almost went there just because while traveling to Vermont for a bus..

Now that you've had a few months off from that project does it make it hard to hop back on it? If I get my hands on something else, the current project gets put on the backburner. Your bus seems like a very worthwhile project and you're fixing it correctly. Nice job on the braces too! Mine was so twisted and turned and warped and bent that bracing it was senseless. Ive got two solid splits at my shop to take measurements from. I believe im within 1/16" tolerance so far. Best of luck on yours. Lets see some updates soon!!
Cheers,
Dave Leroux

Dave,
The frame issue for me was the most intimidating job to tackle. Fost os the time I actually spent working on it was staring and thinking about how to fix it. If you would have begun your project before I started mine I would have definitely used your thread as a guide. As far as it being difficult to get back into it, it has been painful not to work on it all this time. I have had another bus project that took up way more time than I had planned (this always happens) and spent most of the spring/summer when not working on that bus, working on our driver bus and going to shows/trips/campouts in it. We have put over 12,000 miles on our bay this year and still have one more trip (this weekend to the Transporterfest). I feel like the time away from it has been good because I have been reading up and seeing a lot of repairs from start to finish. I am hoping this will help me out with moving my project forward. We are hoping to be driving the 15 Window next year. I have got my winter cut out for me. My son and hopefully my daughter will help out too. I should be back to work on it within the next few weeks. I can't wait. Keep up your good work on your bus.
Thanks,
Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 86

Jump to: