Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Nice

Thank you. Your 56 project is looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got up early and fitted/welded the front passenger side outrigger. I am amazed how little fitting these require.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm hoping to get the other two this evening.
I ordered 10 pairs of vise grips off the internet last week. I thought I was getting 10 pairs of vise grips with 6" jaws. What I got were 10 pairs that were 6" overall length. I was bummed when I first opened the box, but they sure have come in handy. I don't think the big ones would have worked half as well for the top hats and outriggers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I got up early and fitted/welded the front passenger side outrigger. I am amazed how little fitting these require.

I ordered 10 pairs of vise grips off the internet last week. I thought I was getting 10 pairs of vise grips with 6" jaws. What I got were 10 pairs that were 6" overall length. I was bummed when I first opened the box, but they sure have come in handy. I don't think the big ones would have worked half as well for the top hats and outriggers.

In drilling and welding like that, what sort of spacing between welds have you found works best? I'll be doing the same on my '59 SC in various areas and was figuring 1" or so, but any insight? Thanks.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

In drilling and welding like that, what sort of spacing between welds have you found works best? I'll be doing the same on my '59 SC in various areas and was figuring 1" or so, but any insight? Thanks.

I honestly don’t have any set measurements for the spot welds. I know there were 4 on each flange from the outriggers. I have been estimating around an inch or maybe a little more for spacing. I looked at a bunch of build threads and some go closer and some go further. Schwing down in MD welded the flange seams between his spotwelds for added strength. I believe that you can use too many as well as not enough. An inch sounds good to me.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got both of the drivers side outriggers welded in:

Next up will be the inner rockers and jack points.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I bent the tabs out on the inner rockers (thanks Glideking) and clamped the passenger side in place.

I started to fit the jackpoints, then realized what those notches were for on my outriggers:

I got my top hats notched out to match the outriggers, and test fit the passenger side jack points.

I was doing all of this so I could get to the point of putting the walk thru section back in. Now my concern is did I put the forward tophat in the correct place? My passenger side b pillar is floating, but when I get the door gap where I want it, the top hat lines up like this:

and the driver side:

I don't really want to dismantle everything, and am not quite sure how it is supposed to line up. I think I am going to cut back parts of the b pillars to slip in the new metal in order to see where it wants to sit, and go from there.
I am also going to need to do some work to the I beams. The tops of the ends are rough in places. I think I can repair them with some pieces from my donor floor. I think I am going to find a permenant home for this floor. It is heavy, and I have dragged it in and out too many times to count.

I took this picture showing a lot of Funky Green pieces. Thanks again Gerson
And Schofields for the frame inner braces. Every piece of metal I have got so far has been very well made, and fit with minimal work (other than the frame repair pieces, but they would have been fine the way they came)
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Now my concern is did I put the forward tophat in the correct place? My passenger side b pillar is floating, but when I get the door gap where I want it, the top hat lines up like this:

How close does this drawing match?

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Now my concern is did I put the forward tophat in the correct place? My passenger side b pillar is floating, but when I get the door gap where I want it, the top hat lines up like this:

How close does this drawing match?

I will check.

When I put the top hat in, I went with measurements from when I cut the original one out. The only pieces that are in this drawing that are OG to the bus are the I beams. Does anyone know the distance from the first I beam to the b pillar?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

According to Sgellis’s drawing, my front top hat is 14mm off.

If it were moved forward 14mm, it would be in line with the b pillars, and up against the inner frame supports. That seems like where it should be. I thought about fudging a top hat extension on to the top hat, but I would hate the thought of that. After I get done sulking, I’m going to cut the top hat/cross member/outriggers loose and put them where they should be.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I'm loving it. Good job man!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The measurement(320mm) is from center line of I beam to center of tophat.

Your measurement looks like 315mm so not to far off.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
The measurement(320mm) is from center line of I beam to center of tophat.

Your measurement looks like 315mm so not to far off.

I remeasured the spacing using a square to back up my straight edge rule, and it was definitely 14mm. I’m going to cut it loose and move it ahead.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
If it were moved forward 14mm, it would be in line with the b pillars, and up against the inner frame supports. That seems like where it should be. I thought about fudging a top hat extension on to the top hat, but I would hate the thought of that. After I get done sulking, I’m going to cut the top hat/cross member/outriggers loose and put them where they should be.

That cross member may not be exact from factory also. Mine are off a little.

I would clamp a bar across the cargo door opening to hold the correct width. Then aline the top hat to the B pillars and see how everything looks.

Have fun. Smile I hate removing perfectly good welds.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

I made the same mistake but I don't regret it, those small vice grips come in handy and I don't think i would have ever ordered them otherwise.

Your project makes mine look like a walk in the park. Keep up the great work.., this is great inspiration!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

I would clamp a bar across the cargo door opening to hold the correct width. Then aline the top hat to the B pillars and see how everything looks.

I’ve got one side loose so far. I found out my welds were holding well.
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

I’ve got one side loose so far. I found out my welds were holding well.

See...there is always a silver lining in every cloud. Good piece of mind knowing that.

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

I made the same mistake but I don't regret it, those small vice grips come in handy and I don't think i would have ever ordered them otherwise.

Your project makes mine look like a walk in the park. Keep up the great work.., this is great inspiration!

I just read the first and last page of your thread. You have a serious project there. I am going to read the rest of it ASAP. Plymouth MA isn’t too far away. I would be interested in checking out your project sometime. Thanks for the kind words.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Have fun. Smile I hate removing perfectly good welds.[/quote]
I’ve got one side loose so far. I found out my welds were holding well.[/quote]
See...there is always a silver lining in every cloud. Good piece of mind knowing that.[/quote]
Good point.
I hate to say that I learn from my mistakes, but that being said, I have learned a lot and I do like fitting and welding.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got the tophat/crossmember/outrigger assembly cut loose and moved ahead where it was supposed to be. I tried to drill out the spot welds, but could not get straight on them. I ended up grinding out the spot welds, then cutting back the flanges and welding new flanges on where they were cut. I have only got one side done so far. I have been on this for 2 days now. I think I did the more difficult side first. Hopefully the other side will go more smoothly.

This is not fun. Measure twice.
I decided to take the cart out from underneath the bus and get it up in the air for better accessibility.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 86

Jump to: