Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Meticulous work!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Meticulous work!

I just hide the big hammer whenever I take a picture. Haha
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I dig the way you have the remnants of the ol' girl hanging on the shop wall. That is 'art' in itself. Impressive work, you spot-weld drillers.

Edit: Ooops...just looked at more of your pics...I guess that nose is from another ol' girl, not necessarily this one. Wink
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I dig the way you have the remnants of the ol' girl hanging on the shop wall. That is 'art' in itself. Impressive work, you spot-weld drillers.

Edit: Ooops...just looked at more of your pics...I guess that nose is from another ol' girl, not necessarily this one. Wink

The bus on my wall is the same bus that is my avatar. I did not have to drill out anything. Just lift and separate. I do enjoy drilling out a spot weld, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I finished the drivers side dog leg this past weekend:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put the rocker spear on just for fun:

I used the measurements that Everett B. posted to put it in the proper location. When I found the bus, it only had one rocker spear, and it was hanging by 1 screw. Once I jacked the bus up, I raked the ground and found the other one. They are both fairly straight. I guess that's what happen when Mother Nature removes them!
I also finished up the door seal pieces:

And started fitting the seat pedestal:

It is ready to go in once I put the Copper Weld to it:

My biggest concern was removing my rigging and losing the door gap, but everything stayed in place. I must have opened and closed the door 30 times. Things are going well!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Amazing work!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Just a quick comparison to show the extent of repair that has been done to this lucky bus:

Burlyhammer wrote:

^^^This is what the front of the bus looked like in the beginning of April 2017
Burlyhammer wrote:

^^^and now...
Shocked Shocked Shocked
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Amazing work!

What ^^^ said.

Burlyhammer wrote:
My biggest concern was removing my rigging and losing the door gap, but everything stayed in place.

So every time you hear a popping sound you spin around and your heart sinks.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
crofty wrote:
Amazing work!

What ^^^ said.
😁😁😁

Burlyhammer wrote:
My biggest concern was removing my rigging and losing the door gap, but everything stayed in place.

So every time you hear a popping sound you spin around and your heart sinks.

I didn’t think the welds would come apart. I was worried about flexing. I pulled it in further than necessary hoping it would relax into the desired spot. Pretty close.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Amazing work!

It is still a lot of fun! I look forward to getting to work on it every chance I can get.
Thanks Crofty.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I got the drivers side seat pedestal 1/2 welded in this morning:

I didn't notice until this morning that the replacement metal has an indent and a hole for earlier bench seat rubber stops I believe. I was hoping I could live with this, but I think they are going to have to go away. I put the seat in to see if it would be covered:

Nope.
I am going to attempt to get this panel all the way in tomorrow. I had to flatten the lower lip to make it reach the line where the front floor will sit, so I will need to weld a flange to that part as well.
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Inspiring work. A+
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Brendel20 wrote:
Inspiring work. A+

Thanks man. Much appreciated.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I finished welding in the seat pedestal last night, and ground all the spot welds this morning.

I put the floor in to check the fit:

I am extremely excited. I still have to weld a lip on the bottom edge of the floor, and get the outer seat track repaired and installed, as well as getting the seat belt mount removed from the old seat pedestal. Then on to the other side. While I was grinding spot welds, I was looking at the hump where the rubber stop goes, and trying to figure out what I would have to do to remove it. I decided to look at the ones I removed from this bus, and the donor bus:

Hmm... They both have the same indent. I guess the hump stays. I did fill in the hole:

I won't be able to work on the bus for a few days, but I am going to try to make some progress this weekend!
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Wow. It's better than new!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Wow. It's better than new!

Haha. Thanks
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I'm sure you can't wait to get that floor in and give it the obligatory smack with your hand so you know it's real! That was a good day for me when I could pound my fist on the floor and I wasn't afraid it was going to come through the the other side Laughing
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
I'm sure you can't wait to get that floor in and give it the obligatory smack with your hand so you know it's real! That was a good day for me when I could pound my fist on the floor and I wasn't afraid it was going to come through the the other side Laughing

That will be an awesome moment. It blows my mind to think where we started compared to where we are today. Unreal 🤯
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Impeccable work
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

That will be an awesome moment. It blows my mind to think where we started compared to where we are today. Unreal 🤯

Had lots of mile stones building my bus. Installing the floors are some of the most memerable. Feels like you have really accomplished something. Looks like you are going to run out of metal work to do soon. Smile
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 86

Jump to: