Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Home stretch baby.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Dang man!!! You're so close! Can't wait to cruise down to Flanders with ya!!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Home stretch baby.

Home stretch is going to be a long one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm looking into foil tape and spray foam as we speak. That's what we Mainers use to patch our rust holes to get our vehicles inspected. Works great! Very Happy
Thanks Tony!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Vwprok37 wrote:
Dang man!!! You're so close! Can't wait to cruise down to Flanders with ya!!

We are getting closer for sure! It's the journey, not the destination, right? Maybe someone on the journey will bring a trailer? Haha.
3 more months, I better get on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I started welding in the flange for the floor panel, and remembered (after I started hammering on it and it started moving) that I never welded the lip from the walk through center floor to the forward top hat. I didn't do it at the time, because I didn't want to weld above my face. That was pre rotisserie.
Last night:

I also started day dreaming about building up my beam. I asked the owner of a collision center facility if they could get the bow out of the beam. He said no because of the liability. The lower tube is pushed back less than 1/8" on the drivers side. I am going to straighten it out myself. I dug out all of the beam parts while I was at it. A few months ago, I bought a set of NOS trailing arms. I still need everything for the drivers side outside of the trailing arms. I want the pieces to match the OG passenger side, so once I clean up what I have, I will start hunting down some parts:

When I finally started welding the cargo floor flange to the front edge, the gap required some hammering. My new best friend is my air chisel. I got a blunt chisel bit, and carefully worked it up and down the seam to pull things in tight. I got one small section done this morning:

This area is next:
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Skim wrote:
Home stretch baby.

I'm looking into foil tape and spray foam as we speak. That's what we Mainers use to patch our rust holes to get our vehicles inspected. Works great! Very Happy
Thanks Tony!

I poke with Gerson about this piece this past weekend. He said its not something he offers but he CAN and WILL make it for you it has to be done by hand as he doesnt have a die made for it as of now but he has made them for people before so it may be worth looking into.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Skim wrote:
Home stretch baby.

Thanks Tony!

I poke with Gerson about this piece this past weekend. He said its not something he offers but he CAN and WILL make it for you it has to be done by hand as he doesn't have a die made for it as of now but he has made them for people before so it may be worth looking into.

I have most of the metal salvaged from another bus. What worries me is all of the connecting pieces. That whole drivers side rear corner is rotted. When I finally get to that area after working on the front and middle for the last year, it's going to seem like a whole new project! Can't wait!
Thanks Tony.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
... The lower tube is pushed back less than 1/8" on the drivers side. I am going to straighten it out myself. ...

Is the tube arched or is the outside end bent? Accurately measuring the beam could be difficult. If you can find some pipe that will slide tight inside the beam you can extend it out to exaggerate how off it is.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
... The lower tube is pushed back less than 1/8" on the drivers side. I am going to straighten it out myself. ...

Is the tube arched or is the outside end bent? Accurately measuring the beam could be difficult. If you can find some pipe that will slide tight inside the beam you can extend it out to exaggerate how off it is.

Stan,

The tube is slightly arched, and the mounting flange is slightly bent. I put a carpenters square across the tubes on this beam, as well as the tubes on two other beams. The other two, the square sits flat on, this one the top tube is tight against the square, but the bottom tube is off. I documented this in the beginning of this thread. I think the offset is minimal enough, that a few extra shims on the lower link pin would fix the issue. I am still going to attempt to straighten it, though. I will post more photos once I get it cleaned up a little.
Thanks
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I decided to order the remaining heater tubes I needed. The ones I havd originally are very rough, and I wanted to be able to wrap up the bottom. Here is what I had:

Here is what I have now assembled:

I still need to figure out haw everything goes together. I also freed up the rusted shut diverter tube from the cab floor to the dash. I have been soaking it with PB Blaster for 3-4 months, and finally got it moving last night. I'm going to clean everything up, and finish a few other items before I install them permanently. I just put them in for a test fit.
I also got a little more done on the floor this morning:

I am hoping to finish the floor this week. We will see.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

More wonderful work! It's nice to see that old center tube where it belongs. Smile
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
More wonderful work! It's nice to see that old center tube where it belongs. Smile

Thanks Alan. That center tube is awesome. Much appreciated.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I made a little more progress:

This area is all that is left for welding on the cargo floor:

I did the easy areas first. I don't think the back edge will be that bad with the rotisserie. I am trying to decide how to handle the long panel:

There is a gap approximately 1/2" wide from the floor flange to the wall. If I bend out the flange, there will be no vertical lip left. I knew this was going to happen, but I preferred the center seam where the floor halves meet to be straight, and I would deal with that gap later. Later is now happening. I have a few ideas for what I may do. Anyone else run into this? Suggestions would be appreciated. I think this is a combination of aftermarket parts, and my "creative" engineering.
Thanks
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Spray foam insulation. Duh.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Could you cut it front to back, move the edge to the outer rocker? Then maybe flange the edge and add in a filler? It would be functional!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:
Spray foam insulation. Duh.

Usually spray foam is my first thought. Lightweight and flexible. 🤔
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Could you cut it front to back, move the edge to the outer rocker? Then maybe flange the edge and add in a filler? It would be functional!

I am considering this. I was also thinking about flattening out the flange and welding a new flange on. That would save welding in a spliced piece. Either way it could get ratty fast.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
AlanInMass54 wrote:

I am considering this. I was also thinking about flattening out the flange and welding a new flange on. That would save welding in a spliced piece. Either way it could get ratty fast.

Don't sell yourself short! I think you've more than proven your abilities at both fabrication and welding haha. Whatever you do to circumvent the problem will certainly reflect on your ingenuity. Looking forward to seeing your solution. Getting closer and looking badass!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
AlanInMass54 wrote:

Don't sell yourself short! I think you've more than proven your abilities at both fabrication and welding haha. Whatever you do to circumvent the problem will certainly reflect on your ingenuity. Looking forward to seeing your solution. Getting closer and looking badass!

I am leaning towards Alaninmass54’s suggestion. I think that would be the cleanest solution. Plus my son already drilled all of the spot weld holes. I may have to upgrade my Harbor Freight welding magnets.
Thanks
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I'd cut the end flange off on a flat section of the floor and either butt weld in filler strip in the middle of the floor and cut off flange or just make a completely new extended flange and butt weld that in. (Just like if it we're rusted away Very Happy )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 86

Jump to: