Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Calling all ACVW's - join us on a drive up and down scenic Mount Diablo, in Danville California.

Who? Split 66', mdege and son, and rumor has it The Toaster, and a Ghia will be there. The more the merrier, come out and join us!

When? 9/22/23, Friday - a weekday, time: TBD mid-day to dusk is possible

Where? https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517 - Danville\Blackhawk\South Gate - meeting spot: TBD

How? In an ACVW

Why? Fun to be had. And hoping to have a flying drone follow us and make a video of the caravan, for Youtube - (ad free, not selling anything).

It's a weekday, I know that might make it more difficult for some, but there's very few bicyclists on the road, and less people at the summit on a weekday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT: The top is 3,849 feet up. We'll be taking it slow and carefully. I'll bring tools, but if you need help with something difficult, before we go up there, I'm in 94596.
Ctown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

This sounds like such a great event, I am in. Such a beautiful drive over devil mountain. Lots of fun to be had for sure! As we approach October, everyone should be on the lookout for the native Tarantulas on the move for mating season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Ctown wrote:
This sounds like such a great event, I am in. Such a beautiful drive over devil mountain. Lots of fun to be had for sure! As we approach October, everyone should be on the lookout for the native Tarantulas on the move for mating season.

Glad to hear you're in! You've obviously been around this area for a while, if you know of the tarantulas at Mt. Diablo.

Link

I was trying to find the video where there were hundreds of them crossing the road up there one year.

Interesting History of Mt. Diablo

Link

Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Drone picture of Mount Diablo today.

Was thinking we could all meet at a nearby grocery store, and get something to drink and sandwiches to eat, for the summit, or Rock City. They have neat old BBQ grills up there too, if we decide a BBQ is on the menu.

I'm open to any suggestions. 11 Days left to figure it out.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Maybe we should post this also in the other forums to add some bugs, ghias etc. to the group.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

On a weekday, and on the short notice, we're probably not an accessible cruise for most.

But feel free to post in the Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs forum - I didn't want to disappoint anyone in there with all the TBD's:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

Still need to get the 'official' time and place together to meet up.

I'd prefer to drive up there mid-day (12pm+) and return around sunset-closing; but others could go up there earlier and do all the site seeing and hiking they want, and then meet at the top, mid-day, if that's their preference.

Many ways to enjoy this, and there are no rules. Let me know what's best.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

We will probably be coming back to the Bay Area that morning either from Tahoe City or Lincoln. I think noon would be pushing it. How about meeting at 3 pm?

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
We will probably be coming back to the Bay Area that morning either from Tahoe City or Lincoln. I think noon would be pushing it. How about meeting at 3 pm?

680 at close to 3pm on a Friday is NOT fun...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

It takes about 45 minutes to get to the top. I actually had the rangers try to lock the gate on me coming out of there a few years ago, at sunset. That might be cutting it too close.

crofty wrote:
mdege wrote:

680 at close to 3pm on a Friday is NOT fun...

Absolute truth.

We could call this off, I only know of a few who said they might make it, so far.
rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

I would like to make it! Will keep you posted. Sounds fun!! Can dogs come? ~ Emily
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

I wish. Still stuck in separation status...

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

We will make it to the cruise. I am planning on leaving at 9:00 am for Tahoe and we should be in Richmond by 1:00 pm. So if we start the cruise at 3:00pm there should be enough margin for any traffic issues. Google maps tells me that it should take 3:20h at the moment.

Now all we need to agree on is where to meet. I suggested to Bryce, that we have one or two places where people can meet and we collect them along the way. The first meeting point could be in the Richmond area at 2pm and the the final one where you suggest at 3pm. That should give us time to get everyone together. Or is this going to be too tight in afternoon traffic?

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I wish. Still stuck in separation status...

That's too bad , wish you could be there.

rollinwithwillie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

I like the idea of a Richmond meeting spot.. I come from Novato. Smile)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Bryce, my son and I will definitely be starting from Richmond. Three people in a Ghia will be tigh Laughing Maybe one of us can hitch a ride with one of the other cars. We just need to figure out the times.

We will post the final plan here.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Details solidified!

Informal Cruise up Mt. Diablo
Friday, September 22nd, 2023.
Meet time: 2:00 pm in Danville
Chevron, 400 Diablo Rd, Danville, CA 94526

Yes; it is a workday for many of us, but if you can knock off work early, come meet us at 2:00pm at the address listed.
We'll try to start the cruise at about 2:30pm.

We're meeting here since there is a gas station, and a couple places to grab a soda before heading up.

If you think you might, or WILL make it, chime in!
We know that Split 66' will be there, and I (DadaCheese) will be in our Ghia, "Shamrock Shake"

We are also open to ideas of where to meet AFTER being up the mountain if you can't make it until later.
Thanks again to Split 66' for coming up with this cruise.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday September 22nd, 2023 - Meetup and Drive to Mount Diablo Reply with quote

Lets use the one in the Show forum so others see it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784747&highlight=

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: