Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

May I suggest a underbelly radiator and aluminum scoop for us Baywindow folk (similar to Fellows but with a RMW touch)? Just put a typical disclaimer about "Results may vary depending on setup configuration". So that satisfies your liability and gets us DIY Baywindow conversions guys something to scratch off our list.
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

subscribed
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Do you guys have an eta for when the speaker mount/ door pockets will be available? I'm looking forward to ditching my current speakers!
Some people call him Maurice...
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Hey RMW, do you guys have any numbers for HP gain using your SS exhaust? Curious what gain I might see on a GW2.5, w/ and w/o the cat. Thanks!
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Hey RMW, do you guys have any numbers for HP gain using your SS exhaust? Curious what gain I might see on a GW2.5, w/ and w/o the cat. Thanks!

While I don't have any numbers.. I recently install the WBxhaust on my Home Grown 2.4. It is substantially different. I'm not quite sure I like the sound of it, but it performs MUCH better than the stock setup on an altered WBX. My knock control does not need to dial back timing near as much under load (like I turned it off). Initial and mid throttle response is noticeably improved and top end feels a bit better as well. This engine is also running a RJE cam which I feel pairs well with the set-up as they were developed to complement each other. With this cam and the stock exhaust I could not cruise in 3rd under 3k rpms around town.. just didn't want to do it. She'll putter around at 2K in 3rd with part throttle just as smooth as you like now... Then rev out to the limiter.
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

While I don't have any numbers.. I recently install the WBxhaust on my Home Grown 2.4. It is substantially different. I'm not quite sure I like the sound of it, but it performs MUCH better than the stock setup on an altered WBX. My knock control does not need to dial back timing near as much under load (like I turned it off). Initial and mid throttle response is noticeably improved and top end feels a bit better as well. This engine is also running a RJE cam which I feel pairs well with the set-up as they were developed to complement each other. With this cam and the stock exhaust I could not cruise in 3rd under 3k rpms around town.. just didn't want to do it. She'll putter around at 2K in 3rd with part throttle just as smooth as you like now... Then rev out to the limiter.

From tencent's Web site:
Quote:
This system will boost peak torque by about 15% compared to the stock exhaust, whether it's on a stock 1.9 or 2.1, or a modified waterboxer of any displacement. Overall engine flexibility and peak power are markedly improved. And the sound is pretty sexy too.

http://www.vanistan.com/tuned_exhaust.html
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

How would the CAT impact that?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
How would the CAT impact that?

I run with a CAT... it is a highflow unit, I don't think you'd notice much benefit from running without it.. other than being a gross polluter.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

I burnt out the matrix of the cat on my WBX engine and really noticed how stinky it was afterward. I hate being behind gassers from an era before cats were introduced for that same reason.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

After months of consideration and countless hours reading all the associated threads..., we just went all in on the RMW bumpers front/back/tire carrier/full guard,and swing out for box. Just put the order in this morning. I too was concerned about drilling into the body but it just seemed like the best choice for our overland use. Stock 2.1L so the as much as I love the westy world bumpers, too heavy. I've seen several GoWesty full systems loaded and just doesn't seem all that stable. RMW seems like a good middle ground. We will see!
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

After months of consideration and countless hours reading all the associated threads..., we just went all in on the RMW bumpers front/back/tire carrier/full guard,and swing out for box. Just put the order in this morning. I too was concerned about drilling into the body but it just seemed like the best choice for our overland use. Stock 2.1L so the as much as I love the westy world bumpers, too heavy. I've seen several GoWesty full systems loaded and just doesn't seem all that stable. RMW seems like a good middle ground. We will see!
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

i was looking at the swing-out tire carrier, but seems like id have to cut my old-style metal vents to get in there to install the inner brace. Anyone have experience installing on an aircooled model?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: