Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally going to put the rear rubber strip back on after getting a new bumper (was rear ended).

I searched, I looked in the Bentley, and I could probably do an educated guess, but if anybody knows the hole diameter used for the press-in clips I’d appreciate it.

Also I assume these holes are centered (between bumper top and bottom) on an imaginary line between the bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets?

Thanks for any info!

-Rob
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went for it and just kept leveling up bit diameters until it fit right. 5/16" is the ticket for future reference. And the holes all do share the same center diameter as the bracket bolt holes.

-Rob

Last edited by Robw_z on Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

Thank you. This is a great application for a step bit too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

Why didn't you just order the version of the bumper that comes with these holes already punched in it for the bumper strip clips? Would have saved you a lot of time and effort.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
Why didn't you just order the version of the bumper that comes with these holes already punched in it for the bumper strip clips? Would have saved you a lot of time and effort.
While I don't know the OPs thinking on this, I've often seen one style in stock and the other not in stock at times, and it's often the bumper with holes for the rub strip that seems to be iffy on stocking.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear steel bumper drill bit size needed Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:

At time of purchase I did not see an option for a pre-drilled bumper from GoWesty, Van Cafe, or BusLab. Most sold (for around $100) are of a thin steel gauge. I ordered the Heavy Duty version ($165), which is actually the same thickness as factory, so I could comfortably stand on it without worrying about warpage among other concerns.

It is notable that during drilling I measured (with dial caliper) the distance between the pre-drilled bracket bolt hole centers and top of the bumper and found they were off from each-other by about 2mm, and the bottom bracket bolt holes were off by about 4mm. That explains why I gave up on inserting the bottom bolts when I first installed it. I used a Dremel to get the holes where they should be and all 4 bracket-to-bumper bolts are installed now.

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: