Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Hey Chachi,

I sent you a PM. I am happy to try and help. Keep me posted. Let's schedule some time to chat on the phone.

Thanks, Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

thanks for your pm, mike, responded. msewalsen, i was in touch with chris when i started seeing this problem, around 5k, including pictures of the exhaust at that time. chris assured me that rocky jennings enterprises, original installer of engine and exhaust, had installed correctly and that the exhaust would need a retorque of 80ftlbs but that carbon buildup and the leaks i was seeing were not out of the ordinary.

I'm happy to learn these bandclamps are standard issue across platform.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I just got back from picking up my 2.2L from Rocky and we talked about the clamps leaking. He is working on flanges that would connect some of the parts without the clamps and work like the factory ones. They would need to be welded on. I am going to get some from him soon and weld on the flanges after I have mocked up the system to align it. This is going to be important and the clamps allow the movement to align to different set ups.
BTW, Rocky is a class act. He took the time to show my wife and I around and answered all of our questions and even some we didn't have. Can't wait to put this in this week!
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

i'd definitely like to know more about these exhaust upgrades.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I have about 100 miles on my new motor and exhaust and it is already leaking a bit. What I don't understand is why they supply band clamps that are for butted joints instead of the lap joint clamps? I just ordered some Dynomax lap joint clamps and sealant to see it it cures the leaks. If it does not, I am going to contact Rocky and see if he can get me his flanges and have them welded on.
Exhaust sounds great but maybe a bit loud. Might go with the larger muffler option next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

While I have no direct experience with this particular exhaust, I do have plenty of experience with those lap band clamps.

Personally, I've had to use high temp sensor safe silicone on the connections if they leak. Get the connection spotless clean, apply silicone, install clamp to specs and then allow them to cure fully. At least 24 hrs, but preferably 48-72hrs... keeping in mind ambient temperature and humidity. After doing this they have no longer leaked. YMMV.

I would not use an epoxy or hard type sealer as this would be a royal pain to clean or service if it didn't work whereas the silicone you can simply scrape away if it failed to work. In the few cases where this technique didn't work I've had to replace the lap band clamps with a new clamp. When torquing the clamps I like to do so in several stages and alternating sides until the final torque is reached.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin
I too thought about using the high temp exhaust RTV but Vanistan says to stay away from it. I had to use it on my last exhaust to finally fix all of the leaks.

When the lap clamps show up, I will disassemble the exhaust and scotch brite all connections, install new clamps with sensor safe high temp RTV, torque and wait over night. Then drive and re-torque. Hopefully that fixes it.

nate
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

@goldtooth- I think it will solve your problem. I wonder why Chris is against using silicone? My guess would be he's worried about people using way too much of it and having the silicone contaminate the cat and/or muffler. Or simply the wrong type or using it incorrectly and not allowing it to properly cure.

Just a little more detail as reading my last response may cause someone to slather on the silicone. When I do this, I don't undo the connection and apply silicone all over joint. I simply add the silicone in a small bead on the outside of the joint (the very end), slightly working some of it into/under the edge of the joint. Then I install the clamp. My goal is to essentially build a silicone o-ring at the end of the joint that is in turn held in place by the band clamp. I've never had a contamination issue doing it this way, but I also make sure to give it plenty of time to cure. Even with plenty of time to cure, I like to start the engine for a minute, allowing the exhaust to get just warm, then shut off the engine and let it sit again for a few hours. Alternatively one could hit it with a heat gun and then let it cool. It is a process that requires some patience. Good luck and hope it works out for you!

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

So I have put on my new clamps after finding exhaust leaks at all connections before the cat. Clamps can't get any tighter and I used the supplied exhaust paste. I took off the cat/muffler as one piece and then spent an hour trying to remove the J pipe. It was stuck from the exhaust paste and the butt joint clamps tend to ovalize the lapp joint due to overtightening. It took PB Blaster, torch and a dead blow hammer to remove. I then had to remove the 2:1 connector pipe in order to clean all connections and re-assemble. That paste is the worst and I will never use it again.
Here is a pic of the Walker 2" Lap joint clamp
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see they supply a putty at the lap joint area for sealing. Here is the Walker clamp versus the supplied clamp

You can see the difference in how the clamp wraps around versus the aluminum block at the clamp area. Much better. Way thicker stainless steel as well.

I installed with some sensor safe high temp RTV which I used on my stock exhaust with great results.

The J pipe fits like stock but way better in terms of clamp force. The cat/J pipe I had to reverse the way the clamp is sits in terms of the bolt direction and had to take a file to the L bracket as the new clamp has a narrower bolt pattern. I left the butt joint clamp in between the muffler and cat as it is the correct application. I also left it on the exhaust pipe cause it doesn't matter if it leaks a bit.

Here it is installed

So far no leaks that I can detect. Took it to DEQ and they were able to get a good reading, though I failed on high HC but a little tuning and it will pass. The motor only has 250 miles on it.

This exhaust also needs a bung installed pre-cat so shops can do samples for tuning. It is an $8 part. I will be installing one.

Where I got the clamps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQHUYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nate
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

thanka for the write up, nate. my clamps are on order; is the rtv you used just the stuff they have bundled with these clamps on amazon?
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I used Permatex high temp sensor safe RTV. It is orange. I applied basically like Kevin outlined in this thread. I also put in on the flange connections to assure a tight seal there. Not much but just a thin layer and let it dry past tacky so it doesn't all squeeze out during the clamping.

Now to locate a stainless welder to put in the bung. Then after I pick up the 18" HP2 muffler, it will finally be the exhaust I wanted!
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I'm looking at purchasing this exhaust in the coming weeks going to put it on a tencent motor in May! I'm starting to get pretty stoked on that.

@ goldtooth how are the walker clamps holding up? Would you suggest just going ahead and installing that type right out of the gate?

@Keane What type of exhaust did you purchase after the RMW you sold? Are you happy with it?

@Rocky Mountain Westy (Mike) Do you have any recent updates to this problem?

Thanks for any responses, I'm on the cusp of spending the loot and it's always a good idea to weigh every option.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing this exhaust in the coming weeks going to put it on a tencent motor in May! I'm starting to get pretty stoked on that.

@ goldtooth how are the walker clamps holding up? Would you suggest just going ahead and installing that type right out of the gate?

@Keane What type of exhaust did you purchase after the RMW you sold? Are you happy with it?

Thanks for any responses, I'm on the cusp of spending the loot and it's always a good idea to weigh every option.

I went with the Gowesty stainless system and yes I am happy with it.

Don't get me wrong, aside from the joints that I couldn't get right, I was always happy with the RMW/Vanistan system. It's a great quality system that definitely offers a performance gain. My reason for selling was mostly because I missed the rumble of the stock exhaust. The note of the RMW became less appealing to me over time. It wasn't a loudness issue, just the note of it. I miss the power gain, but I missed the stock sound even more. As silly as that may sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

you didn't ask me and i can't tell you how well they're holding over time cause i'm only at a week in with them installed but i would definitely go with the Walker clamps automatically over the installed clamps. they're thicker metal and have a better clamping system. i replaced all of them except the tailpipe clamp and it was pretty straightforward once i got the right clamps. the system uses one 2.25" flat band clamp and three 2-2.25" lap band clamps.

there is another joint, however, that doesn't have a clamp. where the head pipes all funnel into one, right after that there is a pipe-into-flared pipe connection that is definitely leaking. not sure this is a deal (back pressure test) killer; maybe it can be re-torqued? i'll get into DEQ this week...
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

failed BP again. Sad
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:

So far so good. Buy the Walker clamps from the start.

I just put on an 18" Flowmaster HP2 and it really knocked the noise down. Not quite stock but much quieter.

I welded a plate to the muffler then welded two nuts and use the stock bracket. Not ideal as replacing the muffler will not be straightforward. I may try and reuse the stock brackets and stainless straps when I get time. I love the exhaust from a performance standpoint. The 18" muffler is a nice sound and let's you know it is not stock. I welded in a bung pre cat so I can have the exhaust CO analyzed when needed. I would say it is now the exhaust I wanted. I wish RMW would offer the 18" HP as an option.

nate
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
definitely go with the Walker clamps automatically over the installed clamps. they're thicker metal and have a better clamping system. i replaced all of them except the tailpipe clamp and it was pretty straightforward once i got the right clamps. the system uses one 2.25" flat band clamp and three 2-2.25" lap band clamps.

Thanks - this is exactly what I am looking for. Will order the Walker clamps for sure. Summit Racing has a decent selection if anyone is looking.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Sorry to have left you out Chachi but thank you for the update. One of the few positives to living in NY is my inspection (at least for now) is just safety and no exhaust testing. I'm not overly concerned with sound just the leaks. I'm going with the RNW exhaust at this point and will buy the Walker clamps. I'll have the opportunity to install with the motor out. Did you folks install with the motor in? I'm installing with a floor jack in my drive way so I'll be deciding the day of I think.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

yeah you can get to it all with the engine installed. that top clamp is a little tough to RTV but you can just get a finger in. i also had to round out my bracket holes to make the walker fit.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Do you guys have links or part numbers for all of the clamps required? I see the link for the lap joints above ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQHUYQ/ref=c...PDKIKX0DER ) which I guess I'll need 3 of, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct flat band clamp. If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I've had this system for years and have always suspected leaks even if I couldn't find them. When I first got the system they had regular donut style gasket where the headers connect and they kept disintegrating. Eventually RMW sent me the newer pipes that don't require a gasket and I can't tell if they are leaking there anymore.

The clamps though have always been a problem. I went by RMW this past October when I was passing through and asked them about it, but there didn't seem to be a solution other than replacing the clamps. I bought one from them while I was there and put it on where the J pipe connects to the cat, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe replacing all of them and using some RTV will finally get me a sealed exhaust!

As for the noise of the system, I do miss the old sound of the stock system like someone mentioned earlier. It's a little loud for my taste but I've learned to deal with it. I thought about getting the GW stainless system but don't want to lose the performance gain. I need all the performance I can get!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: