Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

What I've got is this:

(3) Walker Mega 2" lap joint part 33230
(1) Walker Mega 2.25" butt joint part 33229

Is that correct?

If so, it looks like Rock Auto is the cheapest option. $39 shipped to my door.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

yep those are them and if you don't do the tailpipe clamp, you only need 2 of the 33230.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for confirming! Ordering now...
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

hey holidayatsee, if you're taking your system apart, also take apart the two pipe-into-flared-pipe connections and RTV those too. that's my next step in sealing this up. talking with nate goldtooth this weekend, he did it on install and has had no problems there. i didn't and have problems. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Good idea! I was debating how far down the rabbit hole I wanted to go but I may as well do those if I'm going to have to tackle all the clamps anyway. I haven't noticed any leaks at those connections last time I checked, but a little RTV can't hurt to seal the deal.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

there's no way i can get those flared joints spread enough while the exhaust is installed to safely clean and rtv those joints. but then while trying to figure that out, i found this. sure looks like an exhaust leak at the head to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if i have to remove the thing to get it sealed, why *wouldn't* i just get it welded? sooooo frustrated with this whole process. mike and i talked about this on the phone, he said usually they just work so they've never researched other options. i call bullshit. i am not hearing a single person pipe up and say they got this thing on and had it seal right the first time. i'm gonna go back and check this thread, maybe i'm wrong.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

photogdave is the winner! only one in this thread to not have problems.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
photogdave is the winner! only one in this thread to not have problems.

He's a lucky man!

My new clamps arrived today and I'm going to try to get them installed this weekend. I wanted to try this evening after work but apparently there are supposed to be tornadoes so it's definitely not wrenching weather.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

since i couldn't rtv those flared joints i just snugged em real well. there was a ways to go on both of them. fired the van to get off the ramps and it did sound better. i'm leaking from the band (cat->muff) clamp; i could see condensation around there so i'm going to have to revisit that. are these really one time use?
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Hang on, I haven't purchased yet hopefully I'll be lucky winner number 2!

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
Hang on, I haven't purchased yet hopefully I'll be lucky winner number 2!

Pray
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

You can add me to the list with Dave. I've had both Chris's exhaust for the WBX and currently running RMW exhaust on my Subaru 2.2 and haven't had any issues with leaks.

Matt
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

hey matt, thanks for weighing in, any tips? who installed your exhaust?
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I installed my exhaust and just followed their instructions. I did use an exhaust sealant on all the joints. I believe it's the same sealant provided with the exahuast system. It's been a while and I'm unable to recall the product name.

From what I can recall with the install it was best to slightly snug everything up and make sure everything is lined up. Once this is achieved tighten all fasteners to the proper torque. The band clamps did need to be retightened once after a few heat/ cool cycles.

chachi, could you post a video of your engine running and the exhaust leaks.

Matt
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I installed the new band clamps yesterday (all of them) and used the orange sensor safe RTV. I let it cure overnight and when I started it up this morning I instantly noticed an improvement in the idle. I haven't actually checked for leaks since running it (it was raining today) but plan on doing that and retightening after a few drives.

I didn't mess with any of the other joints for now because the bolts on the other two joints looked pretty rusty and I didn't have any replacements handy. I tried looking for signs of a leak at any of those connections and at the headers and the only place I saw that looked like it might have one is the #2 header. Still not completely sure but if I get around to sealing those other joints I may replace the gasket.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread though and got the info on those other clamps - it definitely helped!
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

Glad to see the clamps are helping. We just got done putting some miles on the Westy camping over the weekend and I am much happier with the larger Flowmaster muffler. Pretty quiet on the highway and even climbing in 2nd gear up some dirt roads was good. Wife or kids never even mentioned the exhaust. So far I have not noticed any leaks at my clamps. I did put some scratches in the crossover pipe for cylinders 2 and 4 from some deeper than i thought ruts Very Happy

The RJE 2.2L with RMW exhaust and 18" HP2 is a great combo. For local pdx guys I was able to climb up hwy 6 going east through the Dead Mans curve section in 4th gear and passed two trucks! Loaded with camping gear!

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
Glad to see the clamps are helping. We just got done putting some miles on the Westy camping over the weekend and I am much happier with the larger Flowmaster muffler. Pretty quiet on the highway and even climbing in 2nd gear up some dirt roads was good. Wife or kids never even mentioned the exhaust. So far I have not noticed any leaks at my clamps. I did put some scratches in the crossover pipe for cylinders 2 and 4 from some deeper than i thought ruts Very Happy

The RJE 2.2L with RMW exhaust and 18" HP2 is a great combo. For local pdx guys I was able to climb up hwy 6 going east through the Dead Mans curve section in 4th gear and passed two trucks! Loaded with camping gear!

nate

That's great! I'd love to get the larger muffler to cut down on the noise - it makes stealth camping a little more difficult Confused - but I don't think it's in the budget for now with the other upgrades I've got going on. One day though!

I do have another question for you guys that may be dumb, but does anyone know the size/type of bolts that are used where the headers connect to the secondary runner? I'm talking about those slip-in type connections (can't remember what they are called).

Also does anyone know the torque for those? The instructions I found on RMW's site are for the older style when they were using the donut gaskets.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

good work, you two. i ran it through DEQ again and although i'm still failing actual emissions tests (van goes into dave at D&M today), they didn't fail me for back pressure. still had to use the cone, but i do think tightening those flared connections helped a lot. no video yet, but i'm working on it. i really want to see what that head connection is doing.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

I had to use the cone as well. What were your HC's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan exhaust: retorque, leaks, etc. Reply with quote

up around 1500. got into dave'e today but he turned me away for lack of bung. "well, sure i thought it was a good idea but i didnt know i HAD to get it..." visit to a shop down the st. and 6 hours later back at dave's. hopefully i got a better welder than you, nate!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: