Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is This The Build Date?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

My, mostly original, 1973 Thing still has all or a number of all of it's original stickers still attached to it. While doing some cleaning this weekend I noticed this, what I believe to be a final inspection sticker in the little curved indent in the trunk under the gas tank. Am I correct to "assume" this is the actual build date of my Thing (19 Mar 1973 - which happens to be a Monday)?

Thanks, Bud

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

You should have a sticker on the inside of the body near the rear of the drivers door with your VIN and month of build to confirm.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Eric Goodman wrote:
Hi Bud,

You should have a sticker on the inside of the body near the rear of the drivers door with your VIN and month of build to confirm.

Eric,

I do have the door sticker but unfortunately that piece of it is missing :-O That's why I was hoping the inspection sticker I found would confirm.

Thanks,
Bud

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

I'll bet it's close. Your sticker that's torn looks like it says 03/73 from what remains. Yes it could say 08 or whatever, but with that fecha(date) sticker and it being a Monday, I'd go with it. Cool find! Very Happy
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
I'll bet it's close. Your sticker that's torn looks like it says 03/73 from what remains. Yes it could say 08 or whatever, but with that fecha(date) sticker and it being a Monday, I'd go with it. Cool find! Very Happy

Thanks. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Razz

Thanks for all the responses.
Bud
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Very cool!

Also check the inside of your headlight bucket. One of my Things was built around 8/20/73:

1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Very cool!

Also check the inside of your headlight bucket. One of my Things was built around 8/20/73:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

Bud
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

I think that is an inspection sticker, which might have been done by the Mexican equivalent of the DMV. My reasoning is that is has a ledge book number (Folio 19) EVT might be the initials of the inspector.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

I have found the hand wrote like in the headlight bucket on the front firewall under the gas tank. I took a pic and put it back on after paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

Deckard wrote:
I think that is an inspection sticker, which might have been done by the Mexican equivalent of the DMV. My reasoning is that is has a ledge book number (Folio 19) EVT might be the initials of the inspector.

Unless the DMV inspector was at the factory, I'm not sure why they would inspect a vehicle due for export. I've seen at least one other picture of the same sticker (different data on the sticker) in the same location. I envisioned an "Inspector 12" standing at the end of the assembly line giving the vehicles the once-over and sending them on their way Smile
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This The Build Date? Reply with quote

I know that VW used to advertise their quality control in the 60s with pictures of crushed beetles and descriptions of the numbers of inspectors throwing away parts. In 1969, VW claimed that every part got inspected 3 times and when you totaled up the inspections, each beetle got about 16,000 inspections from 1,104 different inspectors. Rejected parts averaged the equivalent of about 225 beetles per day.

My dad's 1964 Karmann Ghia Convertible has grease pencil marks all over the place from the inspectors (behind where the convertible top lays, behind the firewall tar-board, inside the insides of the fenders, etc).

It is fairly common to find fan shrouds with " I.O. " in white paint with a number also in white paint. I.O. stands for "In Ordnung" and was applied after the engine had been run on a test stand and passed. If we go off of what the factory advertised, everything was inspected before and after it went on the vehicle several times.

I imagine the little paper tag is a factory inspection of some sort. I won't speculate about whether it signifies the final factory inspection or not. Regardless, it is really cool and I wish mine was still present.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: