Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

That railroad rig would be awesome around here with the recently decommissioned lines up the mtn! Would be fun to put it on the tracks in Old Fort and take her up to AVL. Very Happy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove it to the golf course, and after the round my daughter drove it on return trip.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

choochooiscool wrote:
First post Cool
I drove my 68 to work with my new fuel pump, regulator, and re applied original air cleaner assembly thing. Santa Cruz to Felton

Hello there!

I drove the Vert to a cruiz-in today with a bunch of my airhead friends, but forgot to take any pictures so it didn't happen. Shocked I was wearing a mask anyway so you wouldn't have recognized me.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I drove it to the golf course, and after the round my daughter drove it on return trip.

A great day!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Cuss, thanks for sharing the pic, I just love pictures😀
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

So I got up about 4 am today and fed the stray tomcat that comes to our door. Soon as I turned around a possum was sharing his breakfast. All three of us had a bite to eat. Then I formulated a plan to drive my old 74 bug. I decided it would be safe to go to where the hootenanny was last night downtown. What a bust only 6200 people inside the 19k seat BOK. I’ve been in there to see Sir Paul the Beatle, Eric Clapton,Roger Daltry,Fleetwood Mac and others. It’s a beautiful place and ranks in top 10 in the world for shows and attendance, but not last night.

The crowds left a bunch of trash and homeless folks made out salvaging all the tents and chairs that were left abandoned. They even had an earthquake of 4.2 after all the hooligans went away. I must have covered over 50 miles because it’s about 23 miles down there, plus I screwed around taking scenic way back.

A great way to start your day is by taking a ride in your VW nursing a cup of coffee. Car ran well and I’m within 1600 miles till odometer rolls over 100,000 miles.

This is the back side because the front was walled off for several blocks. There was five different levels of security the attendees had to progress so the stories about mean people giving them a ration of shit are false. Lots of cops and national guard not to mention secret service.

One thing most don’t know but downtown Tulsa has an underground which connects some of the more important buildings. They do tours sometimes but it’s mostly unknown. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility to bring dignitaries in without being noticed. Ultimate security.

I did this whole thing early look at the sun in the pic. I was back home sitting on my butt by 930am Very Happy

https://www.google.com/search?q=tulsa+underground+...&dpr=2

http://www.toursoftulsa.com/underground-tulsa/
https://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/magazine/are...f81f1.html

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

You're looking pretty healthy for a retiree, Cusser.

Funny how us old guys have beautiful progeny. Both of my daughters are lovely.
I am not the handsome young man I used to be. Shocked

Thank you for posting the Daddy Daughter golf outing pic.

I got to see my oldest yesterday along with my three grandchildren. It's been months since I have seen them. Fn covid!

Happy Fathers Day guy's!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Great narrative & pics! Wink Very Happy

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So I got up about 4 am today and fed the stray tomcat that comes to our door. Soon as I turned around a possum was sharing his breakfast. All three of us had a bite to eat. Then I formulated a plan to drive my old 74 bug. I decided it would be safe to go to where the hootenanny was last night downtown. What a bust only 6700 people inside the 19k seat BOK. I’ve been in there to see Sir Paul the Beatle, Eric Clapton,Roger Daltry,Fleetwood Mac and others. It’s a beautiful place and ranks in top 10 in the world for shows and attendance, but not last night.

The crowds left a bunch of trash and homeless folks made out salvaging all the tents and chairs that were left abandoned. They even had an earthquake of 4.2 after all the hooligans went away. I must have covered over 50 miles because it’s about 23 miles down there, plus I screwed around taking scenic way back.

A great way to start your day is by taking a ride in your VW nursing a cup of coffee. Car ran well and I’m within 1600 miles till odometer rolls over 100,000 miles.

This is the back side because the front was walled off for several blocks. There was five different levels of security the attendees had to progress so the stories about mean people giving them a ration of shit are false. Lots of cops and national guard not to mention secret service.

One thing most don’t know but downtown Tulsa has an underground which connects some of the more important buildings. They do tours sometimes but it’s mostly unknown. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility to bring dignitaries in without being noticed. Ultimate security.

I did this whole thing early look at the sun in the pic. I was back home sitting on my butt by 930am Very Happy

https://www.google.com/search?q=tulsa+underground+...&dpr=2

http://www.toursoftulsa.com/underground-tulsa/
https://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/magazine/are...f81f1.html

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I was out earlier for a quick spin for the day that's in it. Nothing of interest to photo but the odometer rolled over to 90 thousand miles. An average of 1800 miles per year, or 3600 miles per year if you discount the 25 year garage hibernation.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It was 90 outside but still a beautiful day for a drive

PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took a ride around the top end of Jersey from NJ Exit 1 US 80 on Old Mine Rd north along the Delaware to NY State line. Back down NJ Rt 23 and 15 to US 80. A top NJ drive.
[/img]
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Out on a ride this morning, nice and cool outside, have vent wings, window and rear quarter glass open. Smile on my face. Come around the bend and there she is, Bambi. Luckily my brakes are new and adjusted to stop this car on a dime. I locked her up, and the deer leapt onto the top of the Beetle with its lower half of body draping down the windshield. It hopped up and took off up a hill on the right side of the road.

I’m in shock at the moment, just knowing I have plenty of damage to the car. Restarted the motor, it had cut off, and I drove to the next place to pull over. Initial inspection proved no real damage at all! Antenna was jarred and loose, driver side mirror knocked in towards door, vent wing window closed from a hoof, little bit of paint off the top (probably ready to come off anyway) and my rear seat back folded forward from the sudden stop.

I got lucky. Normally not the case for me.

Wish I could have gotten a pic of the hind quarter view of Bambi through my windshield, not something I see every day. Very Happy

creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
Out on a ride this morning, nice and cool outside, have vent wings, window and rear quarter glass open. Smile on my face. Come around the bend and there she is, Bambi. Luckily my brakes are new and adjusted to stop this car on a dime. I locked her up, and the deer leapt onto the top of the Beetle with its lower half of body draping down the windshield. It hopped up and took off up a hill on the right side of the road.

I’m in shock at the moment, just knowing I have plenty of damage to the car. Restarted the motor, it had cut off, and I drove to the next place to pull over. Initial inspection proved no real damage at all! Antenna was jarred and loose, driver side mirror knocked in towards door, vent wing window closed from a hoof, little bit of paint off the top (probably ready to come off anyway) and my rear seat back folded forward from the sudden stop.

I got lucky. Normally not the case for me.

Wish I could have gotten a pic of the hind quarter view of Bambi through my windshield, not something I see every day. Very Happy

WoW! Brandon, I am very glad to hear that you, Beetle and Bambi are all ok! This is normally not how these meetings end. It could have easily been much worse. I hope the light damage to your nice Beetle is easy to repair.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Yeah, normally when a deer meets a Beetle, a tow truck is involved. Maybe an ambulance on the scene, too.

All’s well with the car. I whipped out the tool roll and positioned the antenna and retightened that. Pulled the mirror back out and tightened and adjusted too. I’m super thankful he didn’t break my vent window. The paint....I’m not concerned with.

Scared the shit out of me.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:

That is a nice bug! Are the plates original to the car? Good to hear you’re alright.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thanks, man. No, plates aren’t og to the car. In NC we can run year of manufacture plates as long as the car is over 30 years old. When I picked up this 67, first thing I bought for it was the plates on eBay. First 67 NC plate I ran across had my initials on them, I guess it was meant to be. Very Happy

I don’t have to worry about covering up my plate number in pictures. My real plates are in the glove box.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I just realized that those are your initials, Brandon. That's cool!

I intend to run a '74 plate on my SB, but I haven't found a nice one yet. I found one on eBay, but the "4" looks like a glob of green paint. I have usually ran old plates on my old VWs.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I just realized that those are your initials, Brandon. That's cool!

I intend to run a '74 plate on my SB, but I haven't found a nice one yet. I found one on eBay, but the "4" looks like a glob of green paint. I have usually ran old plates on my old VWs.

You’ll find one soon, I’m sure. Some sellers on the bay think old plates are big money! I lucked up, I think I paid $18 for mine.
w.mainhotrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

1969 beetle-project #2 started 3/1/20-back on the road!!!
1972 super beetle-project #1 on the road!!
2002 Jetta 1.8T (son's college driver)
2001 JETTA 1.8T sold
1970 beetle-sold 2009
1963 beetle-sold 2009
1964 bus-sold 2009
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

brando90gl wrote:
Come around the bend and there she is, Bambi.

For the record: Bambi was a male, check the film.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 109

Jump to: