Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twin Peaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Hello! First post, thought i'd drop it in here. Drove the '74 to work today since the weather was fantastic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

UD, Baby! Go Flyers! Nice Bug too. Very Happy

Twin Peaks wrote:
Hello! First post, thought i'd drop it in here. Drove the '74 to work today since the weather was fantastic.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
brando90gl wrote:
Come around the bend and there she is, Bambi.

For the record: Bambi was a male, check the film.

Damn. My bad.

Haven’t watched the film in 40 or so years, no need to check, I’m sure you’re right. Very Happy

While I got ya......are we confident on Herbie’s gender??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Had her out today. Nice day for a long ride.

jeffd10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It was nice to get out for a couple hot laps this evening

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took a minion to the paintball fields for a beautiful Saturday afternoon of quality social distancing. Get too close and get painted! :2gunfire:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took it for a highway run w/the new spoiler on. Can't say I noticed a difference, this Super tracks nicely to begin with. But I like the look and maybe it will help w/highway MPG on long trips!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Twin Peaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Pulled mine out to drive to work today since the weather is somewhat warm.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1970 sedan, to senior softball !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

My own brand of therapy.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Headed to Harriman State Park, southern NY for a 60 mile drive late this afternoon in my '77 Standard Beetle. On Kanawauke Rd with Lake Welch in background.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Headed to Harriman State Park, southern NY for a 60 mile drive late this afternoon in my '77 Standard Beetle. On Kanawauke Rd with Lake Welch in background.

A rare and beautiful Beetle and photo, Rome. It looked like a great day for a drive in a classic VW. My guess is that "Kanawauke" is a diminutive of "Kahnawake," meaning "the rapids" in kanienʼkehá꞉ka (Mohawk). Is there a river nearby?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thanks! The PO who built the car in the 1980's took many liberties with the body, including 4 fiberglass fenders, nerf bars and 1965-style taillamps. I wanted a more conservative look when I bought it in '92 but kept the fenders. Wheels are '69 style.

I had to look up "Kanawauke". It has Onondaga Native American origin (one of the 5 major Nations of the Iroquois), and is spelled slightly differently than Kahnawake from the Mohawk Nation (another Iroquois). The road is named after one of the larger lakes in Harriman State Park, which was created by damming various brooks over 100 years ago. None of the brooks appear to be named Kanawauke. The road that goes directly adjacent to, and even crosses over Lake Kanawauke is named Lake Kanawauke Rd. Once it passes a traffic circle and heads east, the "Lake"... word is dropped from the road name. Both the western and eastern portions of this road are scenic and curvy. My favorite curvy road in Harriman is slightly further north, Arden Valley Rd. It has been closed this season due to COVID-19. There were many people in the Park yesterday in selected, designated public parking areas (many BBQ grills there) and even at one of the lake public beaches.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I really like your fog lights, Rome!

I am Tuscarora and am not surprised then that "Kanawauke" is Onondaga. All our Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) languages are mutually intelligible to a degree; like in my people's language, if something is delicious, we say "yawé·kʔę" and in Mohawk it is "yawé:kon" (I just ate supper, so my mind is on food). Thanks for looking that up.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Hello,

Took the boy on a week 1500 mile loop from NJ to IN and back. Hot.

Two issues.

Smelled a little smoke last hour of 12 on way out. Stopped at stoplight outside of Indy and saw wisps of smoke rise from fresh air grate on hood. Pulled into parking lot, fire extinguisher in hand and thoughts of spending the week re-wiring the car. Smoke was from fan inside fresh air box. ('76 Standard) Apparently I must have mistakenly turned it on while adjusting the iphone cord 12 hours earlier. Worked next day no problem.

Clutch thud when engaging 2-3rd gear. Could not find issue with cables or trans mount. Found loose ps CV joint on all 6 bolts at wheel. Would have been disaster.

Motor was great 65-70 whole trip. 3/4 qt 10w-30 per 1000mi.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

@PuddleRainbow
Good to see folks still taking these cars out for good jaunt and enjoying the trip with family to boot. Nice looking car. Applause
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

PuddleRainbow wrote:
Hello,

Took the boy on a week 1500 mile loop from NJ to IN and back. Hot.

Two issues.

Smelled a little smoke last hour of 12 on way out. Stopped at stoplight outside of Indy and saw wisps of smoke rise from fresh air grate on hood. Pulled into parking lot, fire extinguisher in hand and thoughts of spending the week re-wiring the car. Smoke was from fan inside fresh air box. ('76 Standard) Apparently I must have mistakenly turned it on while adjusting the iphone cord 12 hours earlier. Worked next day no problem.

Clutch thud when engaging 2-3rd gear. Could not find issue with cables or trans mount. Found loose ps CV joint on all 6 bolts at wheel. Would have been disaster.

Motor was great 65-70 whole trip. 3/4 qt 10w-30 per 1000mi.

I agree that it is encouraging to see classic VW people taking our cars out on extended journeys. I've had my '74 Sun Bug for two months now and is in pretty good condition, but the PO had issues that he never worked out, so I'm taking care of those now. As soon as I get these minor bugs worked out, I plan on taking a long trip also. Thanks for the inspiration and I'm glad you had no more trouble than what you did.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thanks both! Long trips are very fun. This is my third loop like this in my second bug. All at 4th of July. This trip was most trouble free. Disappointing in a way. I pack my tool box and a case of spares, more for fun than necessity. The case of spares makes me feel like going on adventure.

Last year was more eventful. Got to Waffle House going out and starter would not work when trying to continue. Thought was going to be short trip. In the parking lot on my back under the car tapping the starter solenoid with a breaker bar while my son hit the key. Vroom and away we go. Did not turn off car until Indianapolis. Found a starter and replaced in folks driveway. All good!

Nope. No start after gas stop on way from Indy to Ft. Wayne. Big dumb me went right to starter instead of cheap and easy hot start relay install. Did that at in-laws and been good since. Nice to have new starter though. Live and learn.

Mod tips for long trip. Bead seats are a must. I also put the wire hump basket behind the parking brake behind the seats. Easy to get to, and does not fall over all the time.

I've had all kinds of breakdowns before I had my cars sorted. People are really quick to help and disappointed when they aren't needed. Take the trip as soon as possible. I don't think its necessary to wait until the car is perfect.

Jeff
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Up early again 430am, breakfast with the stray tomcat who now lives outside our house. No more mouse problems😀 felt like driving the bug before the heat set in.

Sunrise

I’m sitting next to one of these WPA bridges built in the early 1940s. These things went in when these roads were dirt in the middle of nowhere, I guess they paid for themselves.

This is beginning mileage

I’m over at the gathering place. It’s a public park built by a grant from a local billionaire George Kaiser.

That round building is apartments and this particular one was scene of a homicide a few years ago. Wife pushed her husband into a window and he fell 14 stories to his death, she said it was an accident. A few years later she died in prison. https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/amber-hilberling-c...da66e.html

This is the famous city of faith built in early 1980s by Oral Roberts after he had a conversation with a 900 ft tall Jesus who told him to build this thing. At the time the city had more than enough hospital capacity but he built this anyway because who’s gonna argue with 900 ft tall Jesus? It struggled for a few years before going bankrupt. Then it sat unoccupied for over 20 years before being used as offices that came and went. Finally a few years ago a group of doctors bought it and now it’s an upscale private hospital, nice 👍

Cruising on down the road about 75mph runs like a top.

On a side street I see the American flag laying in the street, I think it fell off a motorcycle, I’ll wash it and do something else with it.

Here’s ending mileage. I covered about 75 miles give or take and got home shortly after 9am.

When I’m not driving it the car sits in this shed with a 54 beetle. The 54 just needs a little love and could be a runner. 😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

The heat of the day has past and it's a beautiful night for a drive in the fresh air of Ohio countryside.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 109

Jump to: