Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
My engine hasn't been started for a month. So I started it today and backed the car up 5 feet. I let it run for 30 minutes to drive out moisture. 11 inches of snow came down last night.

That might not be enough to heat up the engine to drive off moisture: 30 minutes at idle. Especially if you don't have an operational thermostat and operational heat risers...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. This is my first Winter with the car so I appreciate the advice.
Maybe I should move to Arizona for the Winter. Smile
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Quote:

And miss this??????

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
Thanks Cusser. This is my first Winter with the car so I appreciate the advice.

I wrote my above post because I know how long it takes my 1971 VW to warm up in the Arizona desert winters which can go down to 40F. Even if it was 82F here in Phoenix yesterday, but that's about 14F over typical.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Lost69Convertible wrote:
My engine hasn't been started for a month. So I started it today and backed the car up 5 feet. I let it run for 30 minutes to drive out moisture. 11 inches of snow came down last night.

That might not be enough to heat up the engine to drive off moisture: 30 minutes at idle. Especially if you don't have an operational thermostat and operational heat risers...

I think there are threads here on The Samba about winter storage. Might be some good advice in there.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Finally stopped snowing and got up into the low '40s today. Took the cover off the Super and took it for a 30 mile cruise 'round the VA section of the Beltway.

Here it is before the main melt. Yes, it's an ill-fitting cover, bought from CIP1. Don't buy this one.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:

You're killing me!! Laughing

Gotta admin I'm thinking about it - I'm headed back to Miami at the end of the month for a couple of weeks and am *really* tempted to road-trip it again!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my '71 Convertible to pick up a Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner. I didn't go over 75 mph, limit was 65.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove it to work today (my Saab needs to be benched until I cough up the money to get someone to replace the power steering lines... what a PITA job).

It was 48* this morning here in SoCal, and my Baja has no heat at the moment. Expected it to be freezing but... Meh. A jacket was good enough.

WOOT!

Now it'll be raining on Friday so....
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I started it with the intention of driving it.

I went to put it in gear, but the bug was not happy with that action. Crap!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1971 Convertible today.

I drove it to the locksmith shop and had spare keys made for doors/ignition, glove box, engine lid, and The Club. I had the original keys for each; I've misplaced my spare set of these, so now that I've replaced them, those 4 keys should turn up quite soon....
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I drove it to the locksmith shop and had spare keys made for doors/ignition, glove box, engine lid, and The Club. I had the original keys for each; I've misplaced my spare set of these, so now that I've replaced them, those 4 keys should turn up quite soon....

Laughing

Wife lost her wallet 2 months ago. Took a month to get things replaced. Found the wallet in a file cabinet! Why she put it there, who knows. But as soon as it was no longer needed...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Laughing

Wife lost her wallet 2 months ago. Took a month to get things replaced. Found the wallet in a file cabinet! Why she put it there, who knows. But as soon as it was no longer needed...

DurocShark: 99.9% sure that current Mrs. Cusser misplaced the keys, she has a history of such. Just like she has a habit of leaving doors unlocked, leaving propane grill on, and leaving the hatch open all night on her 2005 Yukon (all these also happened again within the last week, but fortunately the Yukon inside lights go off after a few minutes so battery did not drain).

However, Mrs. Cusser has some talents that make her worth keeping....
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Dunno which thread this should be in...

Been dailying the Baja. Today coming back from lunch, I heard a POP! and all of a sudden it ran like poo.

Pulled into the nearest parking lot (that happened to be a AAA office! hah!) and popped the valve covers. Sure enough, rocker assembly stud stripped. Not on the head side, but the nut side. That was the last of the original studs that came with those Empi heads.

Crap.

I got the nut crossthreaded sort of using a pair of nut rounder offers (crescent wrench, the only tool I had in the car) and made it the 3 blocks to the office where I have real tools. Kept it at 2k rpms so I don't pop it again.

I'll try with a proper socket to tighten it better to get me home, but I suspect I'll be calling AAA.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

First couple of dry days this year, good to let rip again Twisted Evil

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It’s been nearly two months since I last drove this car. Sitting that long takes a little longer to get it started and it’s 23 degrees but it always starts for me. I thought it prudent to start it anyway and take it for a drive despite snow still on the ground. It’s still leaking brake fluid so I’ll top that off.

Truthfully it’s fun to get up on the snow and slide around just a bit.

Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Last night I drove my Bug for the first time in nearly 2 years! It went out of the garage and right back in. Going to load it up and bring it to work tomorrow so that it can live the rest of its life in the showroom.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Zundfolge - I bet that yellow Beetle can make good donuts in the snow. I’m just saying ... Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

This is from yesterday. Took it for a cruise in cold rainy 40* or so degree weather...Do you see what I see...? Yes! That is a working defroster grid!! Laughing Cool

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 109

Jump to: