Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
... This looks like a field of mustard plants. For making Sennep. ...
That is rapeseed. Wink
The main resource for Biodiesel over here in Germany.

Thank you. It looks very similar to mustard plants that grow here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drove mine today runs like a fine machine 😀
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Not trying to immitate anyone but let's just say there's inspiration on this page. Not a great picture, and not of the Super, that's an "89" that's partially cut off in this image. Had been a 90 but I lost a mile when I went to capture the screenshot. Didn't hold it there for long and it's a bit scary to do as there aren't great long stretches of empty road in these parts, but I did have a good couple of miles of clear lanes...and others around go as or nearly as fast when they can so I wasn't so alone until I passed, oh, 80.... Twisted Evil Not something I'll be doing again anytime soon though!!! Shocked Laughing

The serious dude in the blue hat was way too far to do anything about it..!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Road trip 305 yesterday from No. VA to Putnam Valley NY. Rained non-stop the whole way. Here's the approach to the bridge crossing over to Bear Mountain.

Link

And here's part of the drive down the old post office highway and Sunset Hill...still an upaved road. Kinda grainy and rainy, but it's beautiful up here.

Link

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

^^^ The Bear Mountain Bridge draws Beetles like a magnet. Great driving videos especially Post Road. Sounds like you have a heavy breathing passenger. Very Happy
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Vamram, glad you and the Beetle seemed to have a good and successful road trip! That's quite a commitment that you drove it in the rain. Did you notice any water leaks onto the floor?

There's another dirt road very close to where you were, the Old Albany Post Rd which has its northern end on Rt 9 slightly south of the intersection with Rt 301, and southern end near the big traffic circle in Peekskill. Maybe that's the same road per your description. I drove that a few years ago in a modern car, but should do that in my '77 Beetle.

Another unpaved road is South Mountain Pass Rd which starts off Rt 9D about a mile north of the Bear Mtn Bridge, heads east and ends at Rt 9. I drove that in my friend Greg's '69 Beetle Cabrio in 2013 in good weather, then driving into Peekskill to view the 1939 Center Diner on Bank St.

Hope your drive back has better weather, at least no rain.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lost, that's funny, that was my 14 y/o traveling companion mutt Scooter, heavy breathing desperate to get out of the car. He's the one in the passenger seat. Ginger's the one that like to drive..... Laughing

Rome, that was the old post road, great drive. I'll have to check that other road out when we come back for a longer stay later this summer. This trip is just to open the cabin.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Sun May 30, 2021 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Oh and zero water in the car, no rain leaks.
. I replaced the crappy aftermarket front windshield back in Sept and the rear seal a month ago.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Made it back to No.VA from Putnam Valley. Of course the sun came out today just around N. MD after three days of NON-STOP rain.

It's pretty loud in this thing on the highway.

One scary moment w/the car today. Stopped for a pee-break and to fill-up for the last 112 miles. My wife steps out of the passenger side and says that it smells like it's burning. She can't even check her tire pressure for gad's sake.
I'm like, nah, that's just you, I built this thing right, woman! So to show her I open the decklid and begin touching stuff, nothing's really hot but sure enough it smells hot. Lo' and behold, the #1&2 shroud to heat exchanger hose had come loose and disconnected from the shroud and the muffler duct; and had possibly knocked the stove pipe hose off the stove pipe coming up from under the motor. Double-whammy - head not getting cooling air over it and the stove pipe blowing hot air into the engine compartment, for 193 miles of highway driving. Lucky I didn't fry the engine. I probably knocked all lose when I was checking the oil prior to departing NY. Put everything in its place, tightened the clamps, left the engine off and lid open of another 10 minutes or so to let things cool and off we went. Made it w/out any problems.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I got my 74 out today to work on a 66 bug. Here I am on my way down the highway enjoying the ride.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Went for my morning spin/wildlife search and came across this grizzly bear a few minutes from town. There are a lot of grizzly bears in the valley bottom right now, stocking up on fresh greens and fresh elk calves. I will most likely see a few more grizzly bears on the golf course this afternoon!

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Donald Osborne has been doing a lot of Audrain Car Museum videos on Sachuest road, So why not snap a few pics of the Bug there? Ages ago we raised hell in this area with 4WD vehicles. Now it's a proper wildlife refuge.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Yesterday a nice VW show just about 15 miles away along Route 66, so I’m there😀 Down off the highway along the river under the trees nearly perfect weather mid 70s light breeze. I took a few pictures sure.

Lots of VWs and interesting people to meet here.

How can you not notice these wonderful young ladies?

You can buy a costume here and become a hippy

Those engines at swap were 100 bucks complete. Some very good deals to be had. I’m pretty sure this is the biggest the show has ever been in its 3rd year and people are just happy to get out after craziness we’ve all seen for the last year.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Man you guys have some great shows out in Oklahoma. I had to drive 300+ miles round trip to attend the closest show to me this month now that the Bug Out in VA is officially history. No other VW shows in the mid-Atlantic that I know of until one in Frederick MD in August.

So I made the shlep to the June Bug Classic at the Maple Grove raceway in Mohnton, PA. (Note - i must have counted two dozen cars broken down on the side of the road in the 300 mile round trip...not one of them a classic VW!) Gotta say it was a great show, tons of amazing cars. Parts vendors...meh, not nearly as nice as the ones shown in Zund's post above, although i did score a couple of good 73-75 hard top Super Beetle sun visors for $10, which, if you're a late-Super fan or owner, you probably know they're hard to find and no after-market ones exist. Anyway, on to a few pics.

Here's a '52 Belgian Standard - cable brakes and cool 3-spoke steering wheel, among other things. Beautiful car...but a trailer queen. Oh well, I guess that's ok too.

A Mexican taxi - although I think it was a regular Bug made to look like a taxi and the owner wasn't around to ask.

A killer '62 Ghia.

Sampling of assorted other rides.

And of course yours truly.

An unexpected surprise was getting a text message from fellow Samba member Rome that he was also at the show and sitting by my car! So we had a mini-Samba gathering in Mohnton PA, just about exactly 1/2 way from my home in VA and his stomping grounds in the Hudson Valley.

A good day all around!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Hey vamram; really nice surprise to see your Beetle and to finally meet you! I looked into the wheelwells before you came over; lucky to have such a solid car. Hope your drive home went well- my (modern) car's outside thermometer was showing 93 -96 F.

That '62 Ghia is the very same one that was in the collection of Langan Volkswagen in Glastonbury CT, then sold to/brokered by Wayne Carini of CT. Its sister car is a Pacific Blue Ghia Cabrio, which is also owned by the same person. Very Happy Then there was the recently sold grey/white '64 Ghia Coupe that was on Bring a Trailer, sold to the current owner by theghiagirl. It was a thrill to see 2 of the best Ghia Coupes in the NorthEast right here at the same meet.

There was a really fine black '56 or '57 oval window Beetle; the owner had photos of it being the one seen in the 1987 movie "Tin Men".
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Man you guys have some great shows out in Oklahoma. I had to drive 300+ miles round trip to attend the closest show to me this month now that the Bug Out in VA is officially history. No other VW shows in the mid-Atlantic that I know of until one in Frederick MD in August.

So I made the shlep to the June Bug Classic at the Maple Grove raceway in Mohnton, PA. (Note - i must have counted two dozen cars broken down on the side of the road in the 300 mile round trip...not one of them a classic VW!) Gotta say it was a great show, tons of amazing cars. Parts vendors...meh, not nearly as nice as the ones shown in Zund's post above, although i did score a couple of good 73-75 hard top Super Beetle sun visors for $10, which, if you're a late-Super fan or owner, you probably know they're hard to find and no after-market ones exist. Anyway, on to a few pics.

A good day all around!

Oh my wife & I were there yesterday also. You are much mor ambitious than we are. It was way too hot to drive that far with no AC in the heat. We towed ours up and left the tow car 15 mins away at Walmart and drove the bug in from there. It was so hot, we got therer about 11 and left like 2:15

Yeah that '52 was really nice and that '62 Ghia was killer.

It looks like you were in the same row of cars as us. We were on the very end of the row on your drivers side.

And where/when and what show is in Frederick in August?? I know if the Simple Transport show on 8/21, but thats in Hagerstown.
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Also went to the June Bug Classic in Mohnton PA ... Was quite hot out and its about 1:45 away from us so not keen on driving the Bug that far so flat towed it up nearby and unhooked it 15 mins away and drove it in.

Great show, lots of cool cars.

And mine here with the suitcase.

Had an interesting drive home. Flat towing the bug on I-95 around a little before White Marsh MD and a tire on the Bug shredded. I Feel it shred and my wife looks in the side mirror and says "oops there goes the tire". A MD DOT emergency vehicle stopped not long afterwards (they patrol the area) and he helped me put the spare on.

But of course it F$%&ed up my fender. When the layer separated it somehow whipped out and took out a chunk of paint on the back of the fender, blew a small hole and paint on the edge of the fender and put a big dent in the bottom of it under the bumper.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Ah I walked by you a couple of times, possible you weren't sitting there when I did or I was too cooked by the heat to notice anyone by that time. Yeah, I'm crazy driving in that heat but I'm hard headed that way....to a point. I won't be driving that far for a show again this summer! Although I am leaving for Miami this Friday...shortcutting it on the AutoTrain. It will be a doozy of a drive from Sanford to Miami!!

I think you're right about the MD show, it's in Hagerstown. I don't get into MD much and have never made that show, but *may* be able to make it this year...unless I'm in NY.

Snoopy1971 wrote:
vamram wrote:

A good day all around!

Oh my wife & I were there yesterday also. You are much mor ambitious than we are. It was way too hot to drive that far with no AC in the heat. We towed ours up and left the tow car 15 mins away at Walmart and drove the bug in from there. It was so hot, we got therer about 11 and left like 2:15

Yeah that '52 was really nice and that '62 Ghia was killer.

It looks like you were in the same row of cars as us. We were on the very end of the row on your drivers side.

And where/when and what show is in Frederick in August?? I know if the Simple Transport show on 8/21, but thats in Hagerstown.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Wow, I take it back! We did meet! I spoke w/you and your wife briefly and was very impressed w/your Super and the pooch, hope the blow out didn't disturb the old guy much!

Bummer about the blow out and the damage!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Wow, I take it back! We did meet! I spoke w/you and your wife briefly and was very impressed w/your Super and the pooch, hope the blow out didn't disturb the old guy much!

Bummer about the blow out and the damage!

Mine isnt a Super, but anyways it was a fun show. I think I remember talking to you ... only person I remember talking to was a maybe around mid50's-60, blondish or gray hair and I think glasses on ... was that you?

Found the pooch on Fb marketplace last week ... going to put a roofrack on top and put it up there with some other stuff. He was napping in the back seat of the tow vehicle when the tire shredded. Im glad you got the pic, I forgot to take one with the dog there.

Yeah tire issue sucks ... trying to figure out how to proceed on the fender.

We may go to the Hagerstown show ... depends on how hot that day in the dog days of August ... interesting show concept ... "Simple Transport", Aircooled VW, vintage motorcycles (pre-1985) and bicycles from any year are the only things allowed. A friend has been, he said its a pretty good show
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 77 of 109

Jump to: