Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Taking Mrs. Cusser out to dinner in the Convertible tonight in the nice weather...planning on a topless ride home - if you get my gist....

We went north about 17 miles to Cave Creek, a few degrees cooler there, ate on the outside patio at Rancho Manana (I had never been there before); Mrs. Cusser wore a dress, nice evening. Mrs. Cusser loved driving through the plain old desert there as opposed to modern "progress", and driving the VW reminded us both of the mid-1980s when all I had were the two VWs....simpler times with no cell phones, computers, etc.....we have so much choices within 5 miles of where we live - including places we can walk to - that we too often "forget" to go outside this area....this place is rated like top patio dining in Arizona.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

First day of my transition from winter truck to summer car - so - first trip to work with the summer daily driver - our '70 Beetle. Still a far piece from t-shirt weather up here (snowed 3 inches Saturday), but the salt is washed off the roads, and the Bug's "heating" easily keeps ahead of normal spring temps here. Everyone at work is appreciative - it's a herald that summer is nigh when the boss starts taking the Beetle to work Very Happy
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove my 74 SB the last 2 days. Took the long way to work driving the back roads out in the country. Windows rolled down. Nice to smell the cut grass and wildflowers. Too bad I had to work.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
lostroadie101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Got out to our first "Dust Off of the Season"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

lostroadie101 wrote:
Got out to our first "Dust Off of the Season"

Nice wheels!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbarbulo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

took it out yesterday, started right up!
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I've been driving the '70 to work and back as much as possible. However I encountered a thump, thump that turned into a psssssss... flat tire on the way back from lunch Monday. Walked the rest of the way back to work due to no lug wrench/jack handle on board. Wife and kid to the rescue after work. Turned it into a teaching lesson for my 8 year old son. Good stuff.

mslibertarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drive mine most days. Took it on a 6 hour honeymoon trip a few weeks ago to Chattanooga, TN. First time I had ever driven it in mountains. I've had the car for 20 years and it was my DD for over 7, it's pulling DD duty again.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lostroadie101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Nice ride!
bbarbulo wrote:

took it out yesterday, started right up!
lostroadie101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Congrats , I would love to drive through the Smokey Mountains.. if that was mine I'd have oil cans tied to the back... I've sprung a leak..
mslibertarian wrote:
I drive mine most days. Took it on a 6 hour honeymoon trip a few weeks ago to Chattanooga, TN. First time I had ever driven it in mountains. I've had the car for 20 years and it was my DD for over 7, it's pulling DD duty again.
lostroadie101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

That stinks, at least you had the pit crew to get you going again!
MI-Bug wrote:
I've been driving the '70 to work and back as much as possible. However I encountered a thump, thump that turned into a psssssss... flat tire on the way back from lunch Monday. Walked the rest of the way back to work due to no lug wrench/jack handle on board. Wife and kid to the rescue after work. Turned it into a teaching lesson for my 8 year old son. Good stuff.

Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

My other old cars are fair weather drivers, not so the Beetle. It'd be silly to post a reply every day for a daily driver, but since this is the first time I've driven it in the rain - the silver lining to the dark cloud of rain for a couple days? Its a good way to find any leaks!

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
IWalked the rest of the way back to work due to no lug wrench/jack handle on board. Turned it into a teaching lesson for my 8 year old son.

Hope part of that learning - for both of you - was that one should carry a spare tire and changing tools in the vehicle.

Just for curiosity - what is the date code/age of that bad tire? Sidewall looks old.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
MI-Bug wrote:
IWalked the rest of the way back to work due to no lug wrench/jack handle on board. Turned it into a teaching lesson for my 8 year old son.

Hope part of that learning - for both of you - was that one should carry a spare tire and changing tools in the vehicle.

Just for curiosity - what is the date code/age of that bad tire? Sidewall looks old.

I always carry a functioning spare, jack (a factory one no less!) and a tire iron (the "cross" type, for better versatility) just in case. Nothing sucks more than needing a tow or roadside assistance for a five minute roadside fix.

And, yes, I drove mine today. Hundred mile daily round trip in commuter traffic back and forth to San Francisco six or seven days a week, at least lately. Recently added a preheat pipe and hose to my aftermarket tin (2 1/16" hole saw worked perfectly to cut the opening in the stock location) and experience much faster warmup and overall better idle sooner now. With the disc brakes I put on a couple weeks ago, the cast-iron 36 horse SVDA, and the rebuilt front end it's a dream to drive now Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
And, yes, I drove mine today. Hundred mile daily round trip in commuter traffic back and forth to San Francisco six or seven days a week, at least lately. Recently added a preheat pipe and hose to my aftermarket tin (2 1/16" hole saw worked perfectly to cut the opening in the stock location) and experience much faster warmup and overall better idle sooner now. With the disc brakes I put on a couple weeks ago, the cast-iron 36 horse SVDA, and the rebuilt front end it's a dream to drive now Cool

Nice !!!
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I finally did for the first time in nearly 25 years Very Happy Got everything squared away enough to take a 16 mile test drive, 8 miles to my buddies shop to get the mufflers fixed so I could bolt them on, then home.

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

sadly, I've never driven my bug.
In fact, nobody has driven Ol' Herb for almost 15 years...
One day though, one day...

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

AZOffTheWall wrote:
I finally did for the first time in nearly 25 years Very Happy Got everything squared away enough to take a 16 mile test drive, 8 miles to my buddies shop to get the mufflers fixed so I could bolt them on, then home.

I absolutely LOVE your car, I want to do a paint job like that at some point!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

AZOffTheWall wrote:
I finally did for the first time in nearly 25 years Very Happy

Wow, 25 years !!! What part of Arizona are you in?

I just got my 1970 up and running after 23 years, you beat me by two !!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
MI-Bug wrote:

Oh yea, I knew I was taking risks leaving home without all the right tools to change a tire. Laughing Curious what everyone carries for jacks and lug wrenches? Original, scissor or?

As for date code, I think these tires are from before date codes existed! I could not find a 3 or 4 digit number that made sense as a date of manufacture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 109

Jump to: