Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1971 Convertible !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I drove my 1971 Convertible !!!

Excellent, I managed to get the 74 deluxe out for a spin as well. Among other things checked fence line for damage. We’ve had trouble with people cutting it to hunt deer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to wrapping and lacing some leather (or what purports to be leather) skin on my steering wheel. With the colder weather my hands were slipping. Feels good to have something between me and that ridiculously super thin & cold steering wheel. Then did a nice 60 mile roundtrip ride to... nowhere. Saw some minor snow flurries on the way home. Bug running great.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Quote:
that ridiculously super thin

What I did to further reduce the skinniness of the wheel, was to get a 4' section of clear vinyl tubing 1" inner diameter, from home center. Cut it lengthwise within the inside curve, put it over the wheel rim, cut off the excess length, and make narrow cutouts for the spokes. Squeezed the ends together as close as possible to minimize the gap, and wrapped the tubing with black electrical tape so that the gap stayed shut. Then bought a steering wheel cover in the "wide" size and wrapped everything. Helps alot, and at first glance you don't notice the extra thickness of the wheel visually but your fingers feel it right away.

In what part of New York are you located? Southeast/east; remembering your short trip to CT recently.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

New Rochelle in Westchester County. Not exactly across from you in Rockland but not far either. Probably 15-20 minutes from the TZB. I just added that more local location to my sig. line.

Was riding around Greenwich, CT. (visited Freccia Bros.) and Stamford and then back home. Fun little bug.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

With snow forecast here in a few days, this might be my last drive of 2021. Here's some pictures driving First Beach and the Newport Bridge.

stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Been across that bridge many times though not with my'73 SB yet.

My Mom-In-Law has a home about 5 minute walk from Fort Adams.
You live in a beautiful area.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Going West across the bridge at sunset can provide beautiful views. A few minutes before this picture was taken, the sky was glowing red high above the horizon. But it didn't last. Mrs. 69 captured the end as it faded away.

I hope you get the chance to bring your Beetle to Newport some time.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I washed this car for the first time since the summer. The original paint still has some shine left. Not bad for a 500 dollar roller.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Since it was a nice 68 degree day in western North Carolina, I took the Sun Bug for a drive. It was a beautiful day for a drive.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Since my Saab's been down for like a month, I've been dailying my 68 Baja.

We had some good rain this week, and the bug, aside from an utter lack of defrost, did well. Of course, my progressive did NOT like the cold and damp and would make my engine stutter at anything under 2k. Get it over 2k and it was perfect.

Today it was like 39* when I left this morning. No stutter. The moisture was the killer I guess. Really odd. Oh, and the rain wrecked my Viper alarm. Piece of crap. Sad

Regardless, nothing like touching the key and having the car start immediately, no matter how cold. That's why I resisted going with IDF carbs. But they're in hand and waiting for me to do a tear down and clean, and paint the chrome crap.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
That's why I resisted going with IDF carbs. But they're in hand and waiting for me to do a tear down and clean, and paint the chrome crap.

Cleaning and setting the floats on a set of IDF's. Is busy work, that can be done at any time.

Get yourself a gasket kit and go to town. It'll get you familiar with how the carbs are put together and how they work.

Then when you tire of the Progressive stutter. You'll have a fresh set of IDF's ready for installation. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I'm kinda wondering if it's the distributor, not the carb.

When I swap the carbs out I'm also putting a Magnaspark II in to replace the Pertronix SVDA.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

When I swap the carbs out I'm also putting a Magnaspark II in to replace the Pertronix SVDA.

You'll be very happy with that choice! Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Can't go wrong ditching the Pertronix SVDA!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Well, you know... Can't change something without changing other things. Makes it FAR more interesting trying to figure out why the shit won't start!

Laughing
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

There's been a few days of rain in this area, enough to wash salt off the roads. I got another drive in today. Here's sunset at Bristol Harbor:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Parked for the night after a GW Parkway cruise.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I've only had a few short days to play around and tinker with my bug since picking her up in Virginia a couple months ago. The constant hesitation even after cleaning the carb worked for awhile but has always been an annoying PITA. So took her to a airhead shop where the fuel tank was drained, dropped, boiled/cleaned & coated. Had the carb rebuilt too. Took a day off from work and picked her up on Monday. What an incredible difference losing 49 years of debris in the tank. There's only so much an in-line fuel filter can do.
Rode around for about 4-5 hours just doing errands. Power (what little there is, haha) is restored and immediate to the touch of the foot to the gas pedal.

She was a bit dusty and I only have some electrical tape where the antenna should be so took her for a bath at a local car wash. The guys drying her off couldn't stop smiling. Has that effect on almost everyone that see's her.
Imagine the same experience for most folks here too?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Get yourself one of these antenna delete plugs. Then you don't need tape to cover the hole.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113817295C

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 109

Jump to: