Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Victor, the braided hose from Wolfgang International puzzles me. I had various sections of their German hose on my bug for four years. I had no leaks whatsoever. I finally replaced these sections with new hose because I was working in those areas and thought it prudent to change out.

I wonder if the cold weather is the cause, since we have a much milder climate here where I live and have had no leaks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
As always, drove to work, but today it was 10* out. Took a couple of extra seconds to start, but then cranked right up. Had to feather the gas pedal a bit at first as it initially wanted to stall. The heat kicked in but it took about 15 minutes before I could no longer see my breath. The commute is all city driving so no highway speeds for more than a mile or two.

I discovered one bit of unpleasantness when I got to work. The braided line that runs from my fuel pressure regulator/filter to the carb was saturated w/gas and dripping. Sad No bueno. And this is line I bought just over a year ago from Wolfgang International. Mad

Just tighten the hose clamp. Or put on a hose clamp (fuel inj style) if you don't have one. The drastic swing in temperature causes the metal to contract so a tight fit is now a loose fit. This happened on my son's bug, came home to a pool of gas. Couple twists on the hose clamp and all is well. This also happened on another of the minion's chevy. Automatic transmission fluid started pumping out all over the place. Slid the rubber hose back on and tightened the clamp. All is well. Its friggin' COLD
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Buggee & Tim - i will tighten down the clamp before cranking it up to go for the afternoon commute. I'll report back!

Tomorrow's going to be even freaking colder - 5* when I have to come in to work. 'Course, being in OH, Buggee may consider 5* downright balmy weather!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

56 degrees F right now. That's about as cold a daytime temperature as we've had for weeks. It's finally raining again, so I don't mind. A few days ago, I was walking the dogs while wearing a T-shirt. Now I have to wear a long-sleeve shirt. Times are hard here in California Cool

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Buggee & Tim - i will tighten down the clamp before cranking it up to go for the afternoon commute. I'll report back!

Tomorrow's going to be even freaking colder - 5* when I have to come in to work. 'Course, being in OH, Buggee may consider 5* downright balmy weather!

Victor

I'm wearing shorts and a tank top. Gotta get my vitamin D you know! Its going to get colder soon and I'll have to bundle up. lol. I think it was zero last night but it will only get down to 2 this evening. -12 windchill right now. Think it was -20 windchill last night or something. Even the dogs wouldn't make a run for it. I've got pee all over my front porch. Shocked Sposed to be mid 40s by Wednesday. Maybe I'll paint my bug Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Tim - i'm almost jealous, but I did spend 10 of the last 14 days at or around this place -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fla Bay. And even got my hands on a VW, helping a friend in Miami test fit his new .25 valve rockers!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
vamram wrote:
As always, drove to work, but today it was 10* out. Took a couple of extra seconds to start, but then cranked right up. Had to feather the gas pedal a bit at first as it initially wanted to stall. The heat kicked in but it took about 15 minutes before I could no longer see my breath. The commute is all city driving so no highway speeds for more than a mile or two.

I discovered one bit of unpleasantness when I got to work. The braided line that runs from my fuel pressure regulator/filter to the carb was saturated w/gas and dripping. Sad No bueno. And this is line I bought just over a year ago from Wolfgang International. Mad

Just tighten the hose clamp. Or put on a hose clamp (fuel inj style) if you don't have one. The drastic swing in temperature causes the metal to contract so a tight fit is now a loose fit. This happened on my son's bug, came home to a pool of gas. Couple twists on the hose clamp and all is well. This also happened on another of the minion's chevy. Automatic transmission fluid started pumping out all over the place. Slid the rubber hose back on and tightened the clamp. All is well. Its friggin' COLD

Carbon copy of what happened with my fuel line from the metal line to the fuel pump, posted about my issue in the "what did you do to your bug" thread.
In my case I went to Oreilly's and bought some 3/16" Gates fuel line, man it goes on tight but it seems to hold just fine even with no clamps.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I turned the clamp bolt about 1.5 turns so the cold definitely affected the line. BUT it still cried like a baby. Fortunately i did not burst into flames on the way home and replaced it quickly in the 18* when i got home. Should have posted this as u did sb001 in the "what did u do" thread but wanted to close the loop.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Beautiful balmy 55 degrees here in southern Oregon. Would have slid the roof back while I bombed around running errands but for the occasional drizzle.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took the 74 bug out today about 40 miles round trip. Outside temps around mid 40s with a north wind making it feel colder, air cooled car running cool as a cucumber. After the ride it started raining turned crappy but I had the bug inside so not to worry.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I turned the clamp bolt about 1.5 turns so the cold definitely affected the line. BUT it still cried like a baby. Fortunately i did not burst into flames on the way home and replaced it quickly in the 18* when i got home. Should have posted this as u did sb001 in the "what did u do" thread but wanted to close the loop.

This is apparently a common enough issue in extreme cold weather where I wonder if there should be warning thread stickied here.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I suppose the next time I change fuel hoses, I’ll go with the Belmetric. Apparently, they now make a braided hose to fit our bugs (for those who feel the need for braided); and they also make the smooth line that ethanol won’t destroy.

It doesn’t get that cold where I live, but may as well keep as safe as possible.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drove mine for the first time in about 2 months. Battery was dead and wont take a charge. But man, I forgot how fast it is, especially in the cold weather. Puts a smile on your face every time you hit the gas!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine yesterday after confirming the cromo pushrods, and adjusting the lash to "loose zero". Took SharkDaughter with me. She squealed the whole time.

The first thing she said when she got in... "Smells like a VW! Just like the bus!"

Laughing
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I daily it anyways, but I much prefer to drive the bug on our rare snowdays, like last week. My older rwd truck is just miserable.

...did brush the rest of the snow off before leaving the driveway
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
I daily it anyways, but I much prefer to drive the bug on our rare snowdays, like last week. My older rwd truck is just miserable.

...did brush the rest of the snow off before leaving the driveway

Love that pic!
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Kurt68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I drive my 68 beetle a lot to work and especially on my days off. Had a nice day off cruising along the coast and in the old presidio district with the old army houses in San Francisco near Golden Gate Bridge with my wife and son. Always good time we'll spent on a day off.

turbodudey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove home from work today with the back and passenger seats filled with balloons for my daughter’s 3rd birthday party. Smile

- '96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4: E-Locker, 3" ProComp lift, 285 BFG A/Ts, 1" wheel spacers, Diff drop, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster exhaust, Hayden 679 trans cooler w/ remote spin-on filter, Diff breather, Blue wire mod
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

As always, drove to work today, this time the '72 Super. I noticed a sudden "throatiness" to the sound of the car on the one stretch of the commute where I can hit 60mph for about a minute...Sure enough:

Dropped a pea-shooter. Note to self: drill screw into pea-shooters that don't fit tighter than a hangman's knott!!

I kinda like the throatiness..may have to break out the zoom tube again!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Swapped out the 1776cc engine for the numbers matching stock engine in the 68 and yes I drove it. The 1776cc is for sale. Please inquire.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 109

Jump to: